Home Sports Talk
Options

Alex Rodriguez ties Gehrig's record for career grand slams

23 career grand slams. Say what you will about Arod, but this is a very impressive accomplishment. I say congrats!

Comments

• Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Gehrig would whip his pretty-boy a** in a back alley image
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I love that he keeps racking up the numbers
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    A nation rejoices.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roid Boy ties a legend.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Arod and Gehrig. That's 2 men on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think in 100 years that there has been 1 bad thing said about Gehrig. Stand up man in every sense of the word. The other guy....I'm not a fan and I'm a Yankee fan.
  • Options
    Sad! A Jerk & A Cheat ties a great man's great record!
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Sad! A Jerk & A Cheat ties a great man's great record! >>

Yep, a sad day. But it DID take Arod almost 2 full season's more PAs to get there.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, a sad day. But it DID take Arod almost 2 full season's more PAs to get there. >>

Not necessarily more PAs with the bases loaded though. I can't find the number of bases-loaded PAs that Gehrig had.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I guess I'm in the minority in that I'm a bit more forgiving towards the steroid era players (like Arod). I consider the steroid era unfortunate, but since MLB didn't have a plan for how to deal with it until it was way too late, I tend to put more of the blame on Bud Selig and the hierarchy of MLB. They should have had a drug testing program in place back in the 80's. Baseball took WAY too long to deal with this issue.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Zendude,
    I actually agree with everything you just said. Only difference is I still have no tolerance for the steroid guys. I believe if a couple of them would have come clean right away...there's room in the HOF for them. I think Bonds and Clemens' accomplishments are remarkable. They did many things early in their career. Too bad telling the truth is not the way to go anymore....Sad but true.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess I'm in the minority in that I'm a bit more forgiving towards the steroid era players (like Arod). I consider the steroid era unfortunate, but since MLB didn't have a plan for how to deal with it until it was way too late, I tend to put more of the blame on Bud Selig and the hierarchy of MLB. They should have had a drug testing program in place back in the 80's. Baseball took WAY too long to deal with this issue. >>

I'm sure the owners pushed pretty hard for testing back after the cocaine era, but the MLBPA (as usual) b-slapped them.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people that deserve the most blame are the players. There should be no place in the record books for these cheaters. They got their money and their (temporary) fame, now they should be banned from the HOF and the record book.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Comparing ARod to Gehrig is like comparing Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    What>> Both put up better numbers?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Comparing ARod to Gehrig is like comparing Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron. >>

Good analogy. In the case of the infielders, it's fairly close, but can't see much reason why Rodriguez isn't ahead. For the outfielders it isn't very close at all, with the 21st century player again ahead
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winners never cheat.

Cheaters never win.

Let's keep it that way.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set