Home Metal Detecting

June 12th: Neat Boston & Maine Railroad Switch Key

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Wasn't quite sure where to go today, and decided to hit a local park that's from the early 1900s. Got one wheat, a ugly 1952 Roosie, and what at first looked like half of a skeleton key. I thought I broke half of it off. Turns out it's a brass key for the Boston & Maine (B&M) Railroad.

Found this online from railroadiana.org: In order to use the wide variety of locks that railroads used to secure switches, signals, buildings, and other facilities, employees were issued special keys. Such keys were carefully guarded and were carried at all times on the job. Losing a key was once considered grounds for instant dismissal, and the story goes that the wife of more than one railroad man would safeguard his keys while he was off the job lest he lose them at the local watering hole!

Can you imagine someone losing his job over this very key?

Found a non-dug one online for sale for $32.50. So if it's even worth that, this one might be worth $5 in dug condition, but it's value is its history. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it?

Comments

• Very cool! I would try putting it in boiling hot peroxide. Heat a container of it up in the microwave then drop the key in it. It will fizz a good while.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like ya got a good dig there. wtg