Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Three Prong Holders

When PCGS started using their new three prong gasket, I liked the look with the humble and noble Kennedy half dollar. It looked like PCGS took a little time to make sure the finished product looked neat with the prongs centered at 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00. The date fit neatly between the lower two prongs. image

The last few Kennedy half dollars I picked up have the prongs all over the place, no consistency what so ever. They just look sloppy. image

I understand in all endeavors, time is money, but I wish PCGS would take just and extra half second and make sure the gaskets are in their proper alignment before they seal the coin in the plastic. Part of the reasons for having coins certified besides protection and authenticity is for presentation and uniformity is a part of the presentation.

Just my thoughts,
Caleb

Comments

• Options
    I understand your frustration and I too am not happy with coins that for some reason end up slightly rotated in their PCGS holder(s). Grade, appearance, and presentation can make or break a great looking coin. The three prong holder does have its place but I also think the folks in the slab department need to be a bit more critical about setting coin(s) in their proper alignment and or check often on the three prong gasket to make sure it fits perfectly snug. After all its in a PCGS holder and PCGS should be 100% completely satisfied with how the coin displays its self. Maybe QA (Quality Assurance) should check into this. MWH
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I got a coin with only two prongs touching the coin, so the coin was at an odd angle in the holder. Half a second longer to snap the coin in all three prongs and the coin would have looked a lot better. Try taking a picture with the coin at a slant in the holder..... crazy.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!