Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Had An Awesome Expierience @ Minor League Game W/ My Girls

cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
Just thought I would share a quick story. My two girls and I love to go the watch the Charleston Riverdogs play (NY Yankees minor league team). My oldest girl has always wanted to get a foul ball but so far we haven't faired to well. At our last game, she saw some kids getting autograph's from the opposing team players. She told me she wanted to get some auto's at the next game.

So, we get to the game tonight. The Riverdogs are playing the Savannah Sand Gnats (NY Mets). We made our way to our seats which were front row 1/2 down the 3rd base line right in front of the Sand Gnats bullpen. There were six Sand Gnats pitchers setting down talking. My oldest girl grabbed the ball and pen and leaned over the railing and asked one of the guys if he would sign her ball. He said "Absolutely. Would you like for me to pass it around and have the other guys sign". She said yes and the players took turns signing her ball. The first player gave the ball back to my daughter and she and I thanked him. They were great group of guys and we talked with them all game. A great first autograph expierience for my daughter.

Then about the 3rd inning, the Sand Gnats were at bat and lined a foul ball down the 3rd base line straight to the bullpen. One of the pitchers caught the ball and tossed it over to my oldest girl. Dang, I couldn't wipe the smile off her face. First she gets the autographs and then finally she gets the foul ball she wanted. Just awesome. Then in the 6th inning, another foul ball comes down the 3rd base line straight to the bullpen. The pitcher who caught it tossed this one to my youngest daughter. Now each one has a foul ball.

Now for my turn......in the bottom of the 6th, the Sand Gnats pitching coach came strolling down to the bullpen. As he walked towards us, I looked at him and thought man, he looks familiar. Then I said, that really looks like Frank Viola. I looked in our program and sure enough, it was Frank Viola. He was directly in front of me talking to his players. When he quit talking, I looked up and said "Hey Frank, could I get your autograph?" He said, "Man, I would like to but they won't let me. How about after the game". I said "No problem, I understand."

He looked down at the ground and said "Aw screw it, hey man, give your ball and I will sign it". So I give him my ball and pen and he signs it. When he was finished I thanked him and told him that I loved watching him pitch when I was a kid (was 12 when he was a rookie in 83). He looked up at me and said, "Now you are trying to date me". I said, "What, you are trying to make me feel old now". He smiled, took off his hat and said "You got alot more grey hair than I do" (which I do). I laughed and said you got me on that one.

Frank was a great guy and sport. It made me feel like there are still players/coaches that still get the fact the fans are important.

Sorry for the long read but between the players autos, foul balls for both girls, and the conversation with Viola, this may have been the best baseball game expierience I/we have had.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great story Mark!!! Frankie V is a great one. He even went to St. John's here on Long Island. I'm glad your daughters had a night they will never forget.

And remember, they were Mets. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Great story Mark!!! Frankie V is a great one. He even went to St. John's here on Long Island. I'm glad your daughters had a night they will never forget. And remember, they were Mets. image >>

YUP ... he went to East Meadow High School. Used to work with his mom when we were in High School.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mark really glad for your daughters and you. Now I wished I had joined you guys, but had to watch my team till the end.... Which is the end.

Thanks for the invite, I'll be there with my 3 next time.

Great story for you and the fam!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story! These are the kind of threads we need more of around here...I remember watching Viola when he came over to the Mets..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Great Stuff Mark!!!!

<< <i>Great story Mark!!! Frankie V is a great one. He even went to St. John's here on Long Island. I'm glad your daughters had a night they will never forget.

And remember, they were Mets. image >>

QUEENS Mike, QUEENS!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great Stuff Mark!!!!

<< <i>Great story Mark!!! Frankie V is a great one. He even went to St. John's here on Long Island. I'm glad your daughters had a night they will never forget.

And remember, they were Mets. image >>

QUEENS Mike, QUEENS! >>

Queens is on Long Island you city slicker!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Awesome Read! Great you got to spend some quality time with your daughters!
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Great story Hooksie!! Glad you and the girls got to experience that!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story...glad you had a great day with your ladies.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Sounds alot like the games that me and my son go to. He has a 5 gallon bucket of hockey pucks from the Manchester Monarchs as well as a few from the Lowell Devils before they moved to Albany. The Lowell Spinners players are always so nice to the kids before and after the games. Always signing and tossing bullpen and toss around balls into the stands.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, I enjoyed your read very much. It's nice your girls like baseball as my 12 year old now loves the sport and is a Bucos fan. She loves Neil Walker!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark, I enjoyed your read very much. It's nice your girls like baseball as my 12 year old now loves the sport and is a Bucos fan. She loves Neil Walker!! >>

Bobby, both of mine are Joey Votto fans. BTW, we need to beat the Tigers tonight to stay in 1st. Your Bucs are right on our tail.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome read! My girls love going to our minor league team as well, the Peoria Chiefs. And, we also just caught our first foul ball at our last game.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story- thanks for sharing! Sounds like you all had an amazing time.
    Wish our Reds would have held on tonight. I thought they had it in the bag after Frazier's home run.
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    These are the kind of stories that turn young kids into lifelong baseball fans.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>These are the kind of stories that turn young kids into lifelong baseball fans. >>

+1
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Love that story Mark-

Really enjoyed hearing how it went and the fun you and your girls shared.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **