Home Sports Talk
Options

Colllege Football Playoff Question

Its looking like there maybe a four team playoff in the near future. The two formats that are being bantered around are : top four teams in a two round playoff, and top four conference winners in a two round playoff. Which one would you prefer?

I'm for the top four teams regardless of conference championships. With the conference winners, there will likely be a team included from outside the top ten included. While I like the idea of playing one's self into the tourney, ala basketball, with only four spots it should just be the four best teams period.

What say you?
Scoreboard Malfunction

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Shocker that a Bama fan would want the Top 4.

I like the 4 conference winners. It's simple really - if you aren't good enough to win your conference (or your division in Alabama's case last year), you shouldn't play for the national championship!

Who cares if a conference winner isn't in the Top 10? Essentially the same thing happens in the NFL - win your division at 8-8 and your in, regardless if an 11-5 team is sitting at home for the playoffs.

Frankly, I'd prefer it if they created 6 "superconferences" of 16 teams (2 divisions of 8), and then there would be an 8-team playoff with 6 conference winners and 2 at-large teams.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DOA- This does not solve anything

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i> if you aren't good enough to win your conference (or your division in Alabama's case last year), you shouldn't play for the national championship! >>

Get over it, its done and we got the crystal. Its in the history books and its not going to change. All else is sour grapes

Can't compare this to the NFL, in the NFL 10 of the 32 teams make the playoffs. In college there is over 120 division 1 teams going after 4 spots. Apples and oranges.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Your right about it not being like the NFL so why even have a playoff at all? I like the way things are with the current BCS system. They consistently have put the top 2 teams in the championship game so why do we need to throw 2 other teams in there. If we do this all we will have is the number 5 and 6 teams complaining instead of 3 and 4.......a 4 team playoff solves nothing.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just play out the season and bowl games. No BCS. Then have sports writers and coaches vote on who was the best team. They should be in the know.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Anything with subjective criteria and voters who can get hit financially if the results go a certain way is a joke. Neither sports writers nor coaches watch nearly enough games to have a say and it's obvious. The only people who have money at stake for correctly predicting outcomes are vegas and gamblers. Those groups know that whether or not a team is in the silly bias polls makes no difference on how you analyze teams. The ncaa does not recognize the mythical national titles or that nonsense egg for a reason.

Any system with an objective criteria is fine with me. Put the rules out there and play. I want winners not opinions on "best".
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    A 4 team playoff isn't any better than the current BCS system that is in place today.

I've said this before, but a blueprint already exists that could be followed. Go look at the broader playoff system that the old 1AA kids from Montana and Georgia Southern and App State do every year. That is the model that we should follow.

For the critics who say that means too many games.....then cut out the 1 or 2 cupcake openers that everyone plays and start the REAL games earlier, leaving yourself room for a multi-week playoff in December/January.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not just play out the season and bowl games. No BCS. Then have sports writers and coaches vote on who was the best team. They should be in the know. >>

This worked once upon a time until everyone finally figured out that most writers were biased towards teams in their region/conference or their alma maters.
  • Options

<< <i> I like the way things are with the current BCS system. They consistently have put the top 2 teams in the championship game >>

LOL

NOO they dont. Seems most every year teams get robbed. A playoff system is what CF needs. If they had the 4 team system in place last year, then oklahoma state wouldve had a chance at the championship. And Texas Christian the year before last. And Boise state two years prior and on and on. The BCS now is crap. And as a result, they got their lowest ratings ever in a championship game between LSU vs Bama.