Home Sports Talk
Options

The Sonics are in the NBA Finals!!!

CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
Oh wait....that would be the case if the NBA wasn't corrupt.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Wait till Clay Bennett is raising the trophy that Stern hands him. I will be sick; but we all have to move on. The political culture of Seattle did not support the team.......and thus they moved. It really wasn't the owner///although he wasn't very honest about the process.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    This is what happens when a city takes its professional sports team for granted. This has happened to many cities many times.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Sonics/Thunder/whatever... I have been a fan since Seattle drafted Russell Westbrook as I love that guy's game. Loved his game at UCLA (except his freshmen year when he SUCKED) and love him as a pro. GO THUNDER!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Job Thunder, I was shocked that SA didnt put up more of a fight..
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I think its still hard to believe the Seattle Supersonics aren't there. I think it was one of the most shocking sports moves in the last 15 years.

Remember how crazy Key Arena got, esp in the playoffs?
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Can someone please make David Stern disappear? Growing up in the Seattle area, I was a big Sonics fan for 30+ years. Back in the day (mid-70's) Slick Watts visited my elementary school and it was cool as hell. Now I don't even follow the NBA anymore. It's become a total joke!
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sonics/Thunder/whatever... I have been a fan since Seattle drafted Russell Westbrook as I love that guy's game. Loved his game at UCLA (except his freshmen year when he SUCKED) and love him as a pro. GO THUNDER! >>

First of all I live in OKC so let me remind you that the OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER drafted Russell Westbrook. Secondly the Seattle fans need to get over this.....I'm sorry that Seattle lost their team but they did so i don't know why people have to keep acting like this team is the Sonics. If all of these Sonics fans would have been a little more passionate about the team when they were there they wouldn't have moved in the first place. Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton aren't walking through those doors fellas...
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sonics/Thunder/whatever... I have been a fan since Seattle drafted Russell Westbrook as I love that guy's game. Loved his game at UCLA (except his freshmen year when he SUCKED) and love him as a pro. GO THUNDER! >>

First of all I live in OKC so let me remind you that the OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER drafted Russell Westbrook. Secondly the Seattle fans need to get over this.....I'm sorry that Seattle lost their team but they did so i don't know why people have to keep acting like this team is the Sonics. If all of these Sonics fans would have been a little more passionate about the team when they were there they wouldn't have moved in the first place. Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton aren't walking through those doors fellas... >>

I think what the Thunder have done for OKC is phenomenal. It's made the city relevant nationally for something other than a terrible terrorist act...but you cannot blame Seattle fans for losing their team. A handful of politicians and Clay Bennett made this a fait accompli amongst themselves. The fans had no involvement. It's great for OKC but you have to appreciate this as painful to people who were Sonics fans for 40 years. Appreciate your team but don't even remark on Seattle or their fans. They'll feel bad either way.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I grew up in New Orleans as a Jazz fan. Our attendance was roughly league average for the last four years of the franchise (the first year we played in a local auditorium that only seated 5,000). This was for a team that never had a winning season. Yet, the team found its way to Utah. At least with the Sonics, they had the decency to change the name and the colors of the team. It is over 30 years later, and I still have to see the purple and gold and green (representing Mardi Gras colors of New Orleans) and the name "Jazz" on the uniforms of the team from Salt Lake City. It wasn't anything we fans did. We showed up. But, there were tax issues and arena issues that made a move more lucrative for the owner. So he left.
    Ironically, I now live in North Carolina. A few years back, we lost our local team, the Charlotte Hornets, to New Orleans. Charlotte has been nicknamed "The Hornet's Nest" for years, but the owner decided to keep the name. Personally, I'd like to see Tom Benson get the Jazz name and colors back for New Orleans, see the Bobcats become the Hornets, and let the Utah folks come up with something that suits them.
    Anyway, for the folks of Seattle, I feel you. But, there is always the chance you could see the green and gold again one day. Stern can't commish forever.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Secondly the Seattle fans need to get over this.....I'm sorry that Seattle lost their team but they did so i don't know why people have to keep acting like this team is the Sonics. If all of these Sonics fans would have been a little more passionate about the team when they were there they wouldn't have moved in the first place. >>

I'll forgive you your ignorance on this topic. However, your statement that the team wouldn't have left if the fans were more passionate couldn't be further from the truth. Fan support had absolutely zero to do with why the Sonics left. The Sonics had TONS of local support from their fans and routinely played to 95% or higher capacity. Tough to blame the fans for the team leaving when the owner lied about keeping the team in Seattle and was making plans to move them before the purchase was even completed.

Tabe
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never a big NBA fan but I always thought the name Supersonics was one of the best team names ever
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Secondly the Seattle fans need to get over this.....I'm sorry that Seattle lost their team but they did so i don't know why people have to keep acting like this team is the Sonics. If all of these Sonics fans would have been a little more passionate about the team when they were there they wouldn't have moved in the first place. >>

I'll forgive you your ignorance on this topic. However, your statement that the team wouldn't have left if the fans were more passionate couldn't be further from the truth. Fan support had absolutely zero to do with why the Sonics left. The Sonics had TONS of local support from their fans and routinely played to 95% or higher capacity. Tough to blame the fans for the team leaving when the owner lied about keeping the team in Seattle and was making plans to move them before the purchase was even completed.

Tabe >>

Yeah your right the Sonics did rank a whopping 25th in attendance during the teams final season in Seattle.......excuse my ignorance
  • Options
    First of all I live in OKC so let me remind you that the OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER drafted Russell Westbrook.

I think you are wrong. I remember distinctly ordering a SEATTLE SUPERSONIC #0 jersey from NBA.com. I ended up not buying it at the last second because I wasn't sure what number he would be in the pros and I knew they were 99% for sure about to move. I believe they were still officially Seattle Supersonics when the draft happened. I believe the draft happened in June and the OKC deal was not signed until July or August. Check your facts and then let us know what you find.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what happens when a city takes its professional sports team for granted. This has happened to many cities many times. >>

Indeed; if it had not been for their magical run in 1995, they probably would not have the Mariners either.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had floor seats at the Key. What a dump. Shawn Kemp could sure sweat. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah your right the Sonics did rank a whopping 25th in attendance during the teams final season in Seattle.......excuse my ignorance >>

That's OK, I'll forgive your ignorance. I mean, why else would you not mention that the team had already announced they were leaving? Or that the fans had been lied to repeatedly by ownership? The fans didn't go because they hated the owners. Why WOULD they go during that final season? All buying tickets would do at that point is make the owner richer - it wouldn't change the fate of the team. So the fans stayed home. Prior to that, Seattle's fans were quite rabid, as I already pointed out.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah your right the Sonics did rank a whopping 25th in attendance during the teams final season in Seattle.......excuse my ignorance >>

That's OK, I'll forgive your ignorance. I mean, why else would you not mention that the team had already announced they were leaving? Or that the fans had been lied to repeatedly by ownership? The fans didn't go because they hated the owners. Why WOULD they go during that final season? All buying tickets would do at that point is make the owner richer - it wouldn't change the fate of the team. So the fans stayed home. Prior to that, Seattle's fans were quite rabid, as I already pointed out.

Tabe >>

You ask why would they go during the final season.....well because thats what fans do....they go watch the games and support the team. You don't have to like it but the fact is that Oklahoma fans love their sports teams. We supported the Hornets when they were here, OU football games have been sold out for 13 straight seasons, and now the OKC THUNDER are being supported by fans that love them. If you watch our home games the commentators always brag about how it is a "college" atmosphere in the arena. I don't hear them say that about very many places. Ask any player that plays in front of a sold out arena every game if it helps the team out. FYI-pretty much all of the owners in sports are rich a-holes so if you don't want to make them richer I guess you won't be attending very many sporting events. I go to watch and support the team......not the owner.
  • Options

<< <i>You ask why would they go during the final season.....well because thats what fans do....they go watch the games and support the team. You don't have to like it but the fact is that Oklahoma fans love their sports teams. We supported the Hornets when they were here, OU football games have been sold out for 13 straight seasons, and now the OKC THUNDER are being supported by fans that love them. If you watch our home games the commentators always brag about how it is a "college" atmosphere in the arena. I don't hear them say that about very many places. Ask any player that plays in front of a sold out arena every game if it helps the team out. FYI-pretty much all of the owners in sports are rich a-holes so if you don't want to make them richer I guess you won't be attending very many sporting events. I go to watch and support the team......not the owner. >>

Nobody is denying that Oklahoma fans are great fans. They love their team and support them - great for them!

That Charlotte team that played in OKC, you remember them? Another example of a team's fans saying "you know what? We hate the owner so much, we're not going to go" - same thing the Sonics fans did their last year in Seattle. Same thing that Blackhawks fans did the last years of Bill Wirtz. Has nothing to do with "not supporting the team" or whatever other falsehood you want to try and spread. Fact is, Seattle folks DID support their team - remember, they played to 95% capacity year after year after year. The team was sold to a guy who promised to keep the team in Seattle, which was a blatant lie. The city of Seattle sold out the fans who felt their team was being stolen from them so they stopped going. That's perfectly understandable and if somehow the team had been sold to a different guy in Seattle, the fans would be packing whatever arena they played in.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>First of all I live in OKC so let me remind you that the OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER drafted Russell Westbrook.

I think you are wrong. I remember distinctly ordering a SEATTLE SUPERSONIC #0 jersey from NBA.com. I ended up not buying it at the last second because I wasn't sure what number he would be in the pros and I knew they were 99% for sure about to move. I believe they were still officially Seattle Supersonics when the draft happened. I believe the draft happened in June and the OKC deal was not signed until July or August. Check your facts and then let us know what you find. >>

You are correct - Westbrook was drafted by the Supersonics.

Tabe
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tabe >>

You ask why would they go during the final season.....well because thats what fans do....they go watch the games and support the team. You don't have to like it but the fact is that Oklahoma fans love their sports teams. We supported the Hornets when they were here, OU football games have been sold out for 13 straight seasons, and now the OKC THUNDER are being supported by fans that love them. If you watch our home games the commentators always brag about how it is a "college" atmosphere in the arena. I don't hear them say that about very many places. Ask any player that plays in front of a sold out arena every game if it helps the team out. FYI-pretty much all of the owners in sports are rich a-holes so if you don't want to make them richer I guess you won't be attending very many sporting events. I go to watch and support the team......not the owner. >>

That's what FANS do? You think you mighty OKC fans of 6 years or so would be their in your arena if YOU went through what Sonics' fans went through? I doubt it. Just wait until the Thunder stinks, the stands are empty, and YOU are screwed in some way by the league. Let's hear your complaining then.....oh, and you MrVintage are a total f'n DB
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    As someone who had their heart ripped out by the Houston Oilers, MrVintage, you have absolutely zero idea and cannot even fathom what a lame duck season feels like.

Since you seem to be an OU fan, I'll try to put it into perspective. Say OU announced they were moving to Seattle next year and all of the lawsuits, uproar, etc wouldn't prevent a thing. They already built the facilities, huge TV contracts were signed, and their PAC 10 schedule was set in stone. In other words, there's absolutely, positively NOTHING you can do but express your disappointment all for naught.

Let that sink in for a minute or two.

Now, under these circumstances, would you spend a penny of your hard earned money on the soon-to-be-called Seattle Sooners? Again, keep in mind it's not a possibility of happening but rather, it happening the following year is inevitable.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Wow so now we have people saying that the New Orleans Hornets that came to OKC were actually the Charlotte Hornets.....lol. If you guys wanna say Westbrook was drafted by the Sonics thats great but everyone knows it was really the Thunder that took him. I've seen people traveling across the country following the Thunder while wearing their Sonics gear when they NEVER would have went to the game if the team was actually still the Sonics.....lol. I have been an OU fan my entire life and we had some rough seasons during the 90s and guess what we still supported the team. I seriously doubt anyone believes that the Thunder will make the Finals every single season but I fully expect them to recieve tremendous support from the OKC community. I guess if your gonna call me a DB I will tell you to go drink a starbucks latte and go stand out in the rain.....lol
  • Options

<< <i>I have been an OU fan my entire life and we had some rough seasons during the 90s and guess what we still supported the team. >>

You guess? Just a week ago, you were railing on Seattle fan for not unconditionally supporting the Sonics in a lame duck season. Come hades or high water, rich or poor, terrible or championship season, moving or not; OU fans *loved* their sports teams.

Now, you guess.

I guess you should think twice before mocking former fans of a recently relocated team.

<< <i>lol >>

Yes, it's always funny when something happens to someone else but when it happens to you, not so much.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sonics lose!

Poor Clay, I bet he's beating his dog tonight.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have been an OU fan my entire life and we had some rough seasons during the 90s and guess what we still supported the team. >>

You guess? Just a week ago, you were railing on Seattle fan for not unconditionally supporting the Sonics in a lame duck season. Come hades or high water, rich or poor, terrible or championship season, moving or not; OU fans *loved* their sports teams.

Now, you guess.

I guess you should think twice before mocking former fans of a recently relocated team.

<< <i>lol >>

Yes, it's always funny when something happens to someone else but when it happens to you, not so much. >>

I'm not sure if you misread what I typed or what because I have no clue wtf you are even trying to say here. I simply stated that we supported the Sooners even though they were having some bad seasons in the win column. If you are trying in some way to compare a team with as much history and tradition as OU to the Seattle Supersonics then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the history of these 2 teams. There are very few teams in any sport that have the same kind of fan support that OU football does.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if you misread what I typed or what because I have no clue wtf you are even trying to say here. I simply stated that we supported the Sooners even though they were having some bad seasons in the win column. If you are trying in some way to compare a team with as much history and tradition as OU to the Seattle Supersonics then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the history of these 2 teams. There are very few teams in any sport that have the same kind of fan support that OU football does. >>

No, you don't have an understanding, nor even a clue, of what it's like to have your life-long team leave for greener pastures. If you think your teams are immune from relocating, based only on "fan support", go for it. So, keep mocking others for not fully supporting a team in a lame duck season because karma will come back to haunt many times over.

Otherwise, I wish your current teams success and hope you never experience what other fans have been through. Just remember what you've said today when the Thunder ask for a new stadium paid by the taxpayers in 30 years... Karma can really be a beyatch.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if you misread what I typed or what because I have no clue wtf you are even trying to say here. I simply stated that we supported the Sooners even though they were having some bad seasons in the win column. If you are trying in some way to compare a team with as much history and tradition as OU to the Seattle Supersonics then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the history of these 2 teams. >>

Huge difference between supporting a team through a couple of bad seasons and having to deal with that team leaving in a year.

Tabe
  • Options
    Clay's beating more things tonight. image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Poor Clay.....

Dave
  • Options
    I guess it won't be OKC in 6 games. Darn it. Historic comeback coming!
  • Options

<< <i>If you are trying in some way to compare a team with as much history and tradition as OU to the Seattle Supersonics then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the history of these 2 teams. There are very few teams in any sport that have the same kind of fan support that OU football does. >>

Our fans our better than our fans. Incredibly strong argument. Check and mate.
    Beyond 1971 topps mid grade stars and commons, I'm always looking for collector-quality spears, tips, and arrowheads
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are trying in some way to compare a team with as much history and tradition as OU to the Seattle Supersonics then I don't think you have a very good understanding of the history of these 2 teams. There are very few teams in any sport that have the same kind of fan support that OU football does. >>

Our fans our better than our fans. Incredibly strong argument. Check and mate.[/

What is your point? Do you think that Oklahomans were in some way fans of the Seattle Supersonics before they became the OKC Thunder? Let me go ahead and set you straight if thats the case.......maybe the people of seattle still think this is there team, but they are wrong. This team that we have here is ours and if they want to somehow claim that it is still there team let's see how many of them come to the home games of their team. You don't hear people here whining about how the New Orleans Hornets are still our team even though we supported them and loved them when they were here.