Home Sports Talk
Options

Euro 2012: Less than 48 hrs. away!

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
I'm not sure how many (if any) people here are interested, but the 2012 Euro tournament starts on Friday. Think of it as every team that participates in the World Cup that matters, sans Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. The first 'big' game is Germany v Portugal on Saturday. For those who enjoy (even occasionally) the Beautiful Game it promises to be one heck of a tournament. Let the games begin!

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    You know I'll be watching Boopotts!

I lived in Scotland during Euro 2000, and despite the Scots not being in it, just being in Europe alone while it was going on was quite the treat. I remember my parents bought me one of the little Euro 2000 preview magazines that came with a bunch of stickers and I would watch almost every game on SKY Sports and fill in my group results and bracket. Ahhh, I really do have some great sports memories (and others of course) from when I lived there.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Won't be as fun as the World Cup with the good old USA to cheer for, but I'm always up for seeing the Italians embarrass themselves with the diving and whining!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Deutschland looks "gut" this year.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Poland! MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Just as I'd expect- lots of Polish solidarity amongst the Detroit guys!

Two yawners start the tourney, but then things pick on on Saturday, and then of course we have England v France early next week. Spain v Italy was going to be a great match, but I think this matchfixing scandal in Serie A has gutted the Azzurri. At this point I'm thinking it's possible that Ireland or even Croatia could come out of the group with Spain.

Edit to add: Speaking of Germany, it looks like Lamm is going to be switched to left back for the game against Portugal, which I think means that Boateng is going to slot in at right back and be asked to contain Christiano.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Let's go........hmm..Who to root for?....... Let's go English Speaking Countries!
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dutch looked pathetic today.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Just as I'd expect- lots of Polish solidarity amongst the Detroit guys!

Two yawners start the tourney, but then things pick on on Saturday, and then of course we have England v France early next week. Spain v Italy was going to be a great match, but I think this matchfixing scandal in Serie A has gutted the Azzurri. At this point I'm thinking it's possible that Ireland or even Croatia could come out of the group with Spain.

Edit to add: Speaking of Germany, it looks like Lamm is going to be switched to left back for the game against Portugal, which I think means that Boateng is going to slot in at right back and be asked to contain Christiano. >>

Plus Poland is basically the host country. I'm in the UK presently before heading to Milan and the south of France. I love watching the matches from Europe. I hope no countries go bankrupt while I'm here. I thought the Spain/Italy match was fantastic. Alonzo and Torres had the matches on their foot a few times between them. I didn't understand the Torres/Fabergas substitution when they made it. Maybe with 5 minutes left but not when it was made. Torres stunk it up with Chelsea and I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Won't be as fun as the World Cup with the good old USA to cheer for, but I'm always up for seeing the Italians embarrass themselves with the diving and whining! >>

I dunno. Saw the Spain Italy game today, and Italy looked like they really wanted to play. In other words, they finally found out they can't just show up and win becuase they are Italy. And as a result, they looked pretty damn good

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <--go Germany!
  • Options

<< <i>The Dutch looked pathetic today. >>

The Dutch set themselves up for a listless performance when they started Van Bommel AND DeJong as holding midfielders. Two holders? On a Dutch team? Please.

It seems weird to say this, but this Dutch team is playing like it's scared to lose. We started to see a bit of this in the WC final in '10, and now we're seeing it full-on. Any team that prides itself as much as the Dutch do in their ability to play attacking, positive soccer shouldn't be clogging up the midfield and trying to poach goals on the counter attack. I'm sure Cruyff is just freaking out back in Holland right now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just as I'd expect- lots of Polish solidarity amongst the Detroit guys!

Edit to add: Speaking of Germany, it looks like Lamm is going to be switched to left back for the game against Portugal, which I think means that Boateng is going to slot in at right back and be asked to contain Christiano. >>

Plus Poland is basically the host country. I'm in the UK presently before heading to Milan and the south of France. I love watching the matches from Europe. I hope no countries go bankrupt while I'm here. I thought the Spain/Italy match was fantastic. Alonzo and Torres had the matches on their foot a few times between them. I didn't understand the Torres/Fabergas substitution when they made it. Maybe with 5 minutes left but not when it was made. Torres stunk it up with Chelsea and I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

MJ >>

The Azzurri had an undersized DiRossi anchoring a three man defense, and I imagine the Spaniards figured they could snag a winner if they could just get Torres matched up against an undersized centre-back. Strange formation for the Spanish team yesterday; we're seeing what happens when a team has a bunch of truly world-class players who all happen to play similar positions. I think this Spanish team is going to need to find some width if they're going to make it to the finals.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I dunno. Saw the Spain Italy game today, and Italy looked like they really wanted to play. In other words, they finally found out they can't just show up and win becuase they are Italy. And as a result, they looked pretty damn good>>>

I agree. Italy is my squad, and I didn't have high expectations for them coming in. They showed me a lot vs. Spain. What a difference Pirlo makes for them - completely different from the team that got bounced early in the 2010 WC.

As a side note, did the pitch in the Italy vs. Spain game seem slow to anyone else? Every deep ball checked up nicely, and passes along the ground seemed to be intercepted quite frequently. Has that been consistent across all the sites?
  • Options

<< <i><<<I dunno. Saw the Spain Italy game today, and Italy looked like they really wanted to play. In other words, they finally found out they can't just show up and win becuase they are Italy. And as a result, they looked pretty damn good>>>

I agree. Italy is my squad, and I didn't have high expectations for them coming in. They showed me a lot vs. Spain. What a difference Pirlo makes for them - completely different from the team that got bounced early in the 2010 WC.

As a side note, did the pitch in the Italy vs. Spain game seem slow to anyone else? Every deep ball checked up nicely, and passes along the ground seemed to be intercepted quite frequently. Has that been consistent across all the sites? >>

Cassanno was also terrific yesterday. If they can get anything out of him it would truly seem like pennies from heaven, given the health issues he's been dealing with for the past year.

I think DiNatale starts on Thurs., and Balotelli hits the pine.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<<I dunno. Saw the Spain Italy game today, and Italy looked like they really wanted to play. In other words, they finally found out they can't just show up and win becuase they are Italy. And as a result, they looked pretty damn good>>>

As a side note, did the pitch in the Italy vs. Spain game seem slow to anyone else? Every deep ball checked up nicely, and passes along the ground seemed to be intercepted quite frequently. Has that been consistent across all the sites? >>

Cassanno was also terrific yesterday. If they can get anything out of him it would truly seem like pennies from heaven, given the health issues he's been dealing with for the past year.

I think DiNatale starts on Thurs., and Balotelli hits the pine. >>

Boo, far be it for me to say this, but I think you need to get out more . . . image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Italy could have won that match.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    England v France was a complete yawner. Thanks, England, for hiring Hodgson as your manager, thereby assuring us that every time the Three Lions take the pitch we'll be forced to watch two hours of aimless hoofing. I had hoped that Sweden might be good enough to take the second spot in Group D, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Which, of course, likely means that we're going to have to endure more unwatchable English football in the knockout stages.

Poland v Russia could create some fireworks today. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    I'm watching Spain v Croatia right now. So far the game has been a total yawner. I'm hoping that with Italy scoring the Croats will commit more men to the attack, thereby opening this game up in the second half. In any case, it's going to be a very nervy 45 minutes for Spain, Croatia and Italy, since any of the three could conceivably crash out of the tournament with a bad bounce or two in the second half.

• Options
    Balotelli with a nice goal to salt it away for Italy....Chellini is a difference maker for the Azzurri on the back line...all of Ireland's pressure came after he left the match....hoping he's OK for the quarters, but it looked like his knee locked up pretty good when he landed on the turf.
  • Options
    I can't think of a more nerve-wracking thing in sports than watching your team go into penalty kicks after thoroughly dominating their opponent for 120 minutes....so glad justice prevailed and Italy moved on.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't think of a more nerve-wracking thing in sports than watching your team go into penalty kicks after thoroughly dominating their opponent for 120 minutes....so glad justice prevailed and Italy moved on. >>

I loved the Pirlo PK; that was just pure class. I suppose there may be a more underrated player than Pirlo, but I can't think of who it is.

Like you, I'm thrilled that the technically superior Italian side went through, and that we were finally able to send off that agonizingly dull England team. Now if Portugal could find a way to beat Spain we might find ourselves with a lights-out, action packed final that would truly be worth the price of admission.
  • Options
    How does Ronaldo not take one of the PKs??? Why wouldn't he take the 1st one after the opening Spain miss?
  • Options

<< <i>How does Ronaldo not take one of the PKs??? Why wouldn't he take the 1st one after the opening Spain miss? >>

I know what you mean- I just have no explanation for that. Ultimately the more deserving team went through, but I'm sure that's of no consolation to the millions of Portugese who are left to wonder why the best player on their team- indeed, perhaps the best European-born player in the world- never stepped up to the spot.
  • Options
    Balotelli!!!

Two superb finishes yesterday. He is certifiably nuts, but a great talent...no reason to think Italy can't pull this off on Sunday.
  • Options
    Spain is just lights out. Congrat's............MJ
  • Options
    They certainly saved their best for last in this tournament...congrats to Spain.