Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1879 3c Nickel upgrade in!!!

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
Regraded PF64Cameo. No pictures yet, as the grades just hit.
1885(not pictured in original thread) went from PF64 to PF65.
------------

I bought 2 three cent nickels at the show this weekend. The first is an 1879 PR64 in an old green label PCGS slab. The coin has a Cameo Obverse. The obverse has a very minor spot of active PVC at the hairline below the "E" in STATES. But...the best part is a lint strikethrough between the "F" in OF and the bow. The reverse is hazey and appears to have a cameo wreath and might have light cameo Roman Numerals. It has to go to NCS to have the PVC treated. It is definitely a PQ coin for the grade and I expect it to come back PR65Cam or at least PR64*. My pictures are not too good.

The second is an 1886 PR64 in an NGC slab. Nice, bright coin that I bought off of our own Robbie. Great looking coin that he gave me a price on I could not pass up! Now, I'm hooked on the Proof 3c nickels! This picture is off Reeded Edge's website.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Why send it NCS just crack it out and give it a soak in acetone. If the spot won't come off just roll a soaked q-tip in the area, remember to roll not scrub. It is very easy to do once you realize it, but practice on a less valuable coin first.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin Michael and you're wise to let a group of professionals handle the curation.
    (I also like when they've completed the assignment they simply walk the coin(s) down the hallway to the grading room.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why send it NCS just crack it out and give it a soak in acetone. If the spot won't come off just roll a soaked q-tip in the area, remember to roll not scrub. It is very easy to do once you realize it, but practice on a less valuable coin first. >>

I think the OP knows what he's doing. Soaking proofs is very dangerous business, super easy to hairline the nice proof surfaces.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    nice lil low mintage pieces
    best of luck with the 79'
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why send it NCS just crack it out and give it a soak in acetone. If the spot won't come off just roll a soaked q-tip in the area, remember to roll not scrub. It is very easy to do once you realize it, but practice on a less valuable coin first. >>

I think the OP knows what he's doing. Soaking proofs is very dangerous business, super easy to hairline the nice proof surfaces. >>

Not really that easy to hairline if you know what your doing, but to each his own. If you really think that NCS is gonna be all that much more careful then the actual owner own the coin your wrong. they are trying to process coins and get them out. I would not do it though if I hand shaky hands.

Edited to add: Yes I have conserved my own coins the had them graded last one was my 1872 proof shield nickel and it got a MS65, even with a stain I could not remove and a light hit on the shield design. I did however remove a small green spot on trust and some in the denticles. This is now a $700 coin in PCGS price guide.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    even with a stain I could not remove

NCS does miracles with stains. You should try them.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

<< <i>even with a stain I could not remove

NCS does miracles with stains. You should try them. >>

I lightened it up a lot with just acetone, it could of been finished with a dip but really didn't feel the need. So I guess I should of worded my previous post to state that, but just stated the facts of the conserving at the time.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the OP knows what he's doing. Soaking proofs is very dangerous business, super easy to hairline the nice proof surfaces. >>

Not really that easy to hairline if you know what your doing, but to each his own. If you really think that NCS is gonna be all that much more careful then the actual owner own the coin your wrong. they are trying to process coins and get them out. I would not do it though if I hand shaky hands. >>

Describes me perfectly.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Very nice newps!
  • Options
    If you remember this thread, I sent the 1879 to NCS. Also, I sent in an 1885.
    The 1879 graded PF64Cameo. No pictures yet, as the grades just hit.
    1885(not pictured in original thread) went from PF64 to PF65.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that overall you lost money.
  • Options
    TDN,

image I was thinking the same thing. But...It's the thrill of the hunt!!!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TDN,

image I was thinking the same thing. But...It's the thrill of the hunt!!! >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file