Home Precious Metals
Options

Is anyone else panning for gold/ordering paydirt?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been doing some panning when I vacation back to the family farm in Ohio with my older brother and had some luck finding glacier gold (very fine). Last week I ordered a couple pounds of paydirt on eBay. I got a picker in the second handful I panned!

PM me if anyone else is curious who the seller was-- my brother has ordered three 2lb bags from him and done very well. The stuff he ships out comes from Montana and is way bigger than the Ohio specks.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, if you like it and all. But I don't think I get it. Or how it would be fun.

Yeah, you actually find the needle in that haystack. But you actually shoot the animal in the caged hunt, too.

If you don't find it in the wild, then it doesn't seem very real.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I agree to an extent, Weiss- it is good practice for first timers, though. The wild does give you an appreciation for just how much work it takes to get gold.

2 gallon buckets of creekbed gravel in Ohio will only yield about 5 or 6 tiny specks. If you can pan that, though, you can pan about anything.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thats interesting. Nice marketing idea of selling the paydirt. Gives me ideas.

Has anyone ever panned for some other metal?
    COA
  • Options
    I find a lotta buckshot in some creeks..
    Here's my total haul for the $25 box of paydirt. Not sure what it weighs but it was good panning practice.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I finaly pulled the trigger and ordered a bag just for fun...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Cool, keep us posted how it pans out.
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, keep us posted how it pans out.
    Best. >>

How it "pans" out.. *rimshot!*
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I buy the paydirt minus the dirt part?image

I have to admit I don't get it. (wouldn't be the first time). Is this just practice with no intent of making money? Is the pay dirt "salted" to yield a certain amount of gold under the price paid for it? How much is a two pound bag?

Please do a youtube video of your next load. I am intrigued.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its alot of work but worth it image
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool, keep us posted how it pans out.
    Best. >>

How it "pans" out.. *rimshot!* >>

SWISH!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the ads for shipped bags of paydirt years ago and briefly considered it, but recalled previous panning experience in Colma Ca and along the American river (lot of work for a few flakes), and just ended up buying a couple of nuggets in the half gram to gram range. I did make a couple of orders of "uncleaned ancient coins" (ground finds) and used electrolysis on many of them, simple olive oil on others and ended up with a few neat coins.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I live in Central VA where there are/were some serious gold claims way back when. After attending the Field Days of the Past outside of Richmond (which I totally endorse for everyone from the commiest hippie to the Palinist-ist Teabagger; there's something here for everyone) I joined the Central VA Panners for a couple of years.

My take: for $100 a year I get to hang out with people of all stripes and go camping, drink a few of which may or may not be beers (can't tell when the PC Police or the actual Police might be evesdropping) and splash around in a creek in the middle of nowhere. And I might or might not find gold!

Even with gold at $1800 plus or minus I probably didn't make money, but like I said, I got to splash around in a creek (it was 104F today in Richmond), argue politics with my creekmates and post my meager but honestly-found flakes to my facebook page. If you're finding buckshot you're on the right path; keep your black sand, and in my opinion, spend the extra bucks to join the panning club rather than shake stuff out of a bag. But if you do, the black $4.99 concrete mixing tub is your best bet for panning on the patio.
  • Options
    That sounds like a lot of fun, Walnut! I just ordered a Blue Dog sucker to suck some material out of pockets in the bedrock in creeks where I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, but I should just the GPAA just so I can meet more people with a lot more experience than I have.

At the end of the day, you're right, even if you don't come out ahead moneywise you got to play in the creek like a kid again with friends and have a little something to show for it. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been putting gold into the ground.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?