Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Adding 1989 Weis Winners Tea Disks to Set Registry

I recently came upon a bunch of Weis Market "Winners" Tea Discs in a large lot of cards I purchased. They caught my eye and I was curious about them since I had never seen them before. After doing a little research it seems that they are quite rare. The lot includes several loose 1987 and 1988 player disks but the really cool part is that there are eight unseparated full three disc panels (two player discs and a mail in rebate disc) from 1988 and twelve from 1989 which includes the complete twenty card set! I am going to be putting these cards on the market eventually but I am debating on sending them in to PSA to get them graded first. At this point in time only a couple of the 1988 discs have been graded by PSA or SGC and not a singe one of the 1989 discs have ever been. I am also trying to determine if there is more value in keeping the 1989 set intact since by the looks of things it might be one of the only ones out there. From my understanding these discs have considerable value for the Master Set Collectors if they get added to the registry since they are very hard to come by. It seems, however, that the process to get cards added to the PSA registry can take months and is quite expensive since the panels are considered over sized cards and I am just wondering if it is worth it since there are hardly any comps out there to measure against.

If anyone out there has any suggestions or additional information on this series you help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. OK, so to try and answer as many questions as I can...

Yes, it MAY take months to get something added to the Set Registry. Not always. I have had things add in 2-3 weeks. I have had them go almost 16 months. It all depends on how many people are ahead of you in line. Right now, I would guess 2-3 months.

Now, you have mentioned that many of these discs would be in demand by master player set collectors. This is true. But, there are things you should know. 1) The disc does not automatically get entered into the player's set. Someone that is currently collecting that set and has possession of the graded disc would have to suggest it to PSA first. So, if you are the owner of the discs, you would need to register player sets (involving other PSA graded cards) into those player sets before you could request that your discs be considered as part of the set. 2) Not all master sets are equal. There are some that are actively collected and a Pop 1 is greedily bid upon by competing collectors. Other sets have players that are of less interest, or have master sets that have so many cards that they scare away collectors. The Ken Griffey Jr. set has over 4,000 different cards and 48 people collecting it. But, only 2 of those collectors are over 13.5%. So, a 1 of 1 Griffey might not draw a lot of attention, considering how many other cards are involved in the completion of that set. The Nolan Ryan set has over 2,000 cards in it, but has a lot of active collectors that are heavily invested in it. A 1 of 1 in that set would certainly get some attention. Keep these kinds of things in mind.

As far as the cost involved, I can't answer that. The cards will find buyers. No question about it. But, will they draw enough action to make it a highly profitable venture? I'd say 50/50. You probably won't lose money, but I wouldn't plan on getting rich here either. If you aren't planning to keep the cards, why don't you send in some of them and see what sort of attention they draw? If you do well, then pony up and send in the rest. If they don't bring in the dollars you want, then you sell the rest ungraded. I don't think we are talking about a big money risk one way or the other.

Good luck.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    PowderedH2O

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful recommendations. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me better understand how the registry process works and for sharing your wisdom. I like your idea of sending a couple in to be graded and testing the waters that way rather than wasting a bunch of time/money if the demand just isn't there. You answered all of my questions except for one and that question was whether or not keeping the set intact might have more long term value/significance since there is a possibility it would be "one of a kind". I am not looking to get rich of these discs and would be pretty stoked if they simply helped me add a nice t206 or t213 to my collection since I kind of stumbled upon them. No matter what it has been a fun exercise. Thanks again for sharing with me.

Christian
    Christian
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Christian:

A few thoughts:
      Congratulations on a really great find! You are certainly correct that some of those discs are quite rare. A very nice score for you!
        As a Master Player Set Collector (and one of the first PSA-graded player set collectors ever...), my general feeling is that there is not much of a difference between the panel and the single disc. As a general construct, master player sets generally do not have multiple slots for the same card in various formats. In short, player sets on the PSA Registry would not likely have one slot for a 1988 Weis Winner single disc and a separate, supplementary slot for a Weis Winner panel disc.
          In many ways, the market for these cards can be quite thin. There are a number of stars from the 1980s whom do not have strong following on the PSA Set Registry or elsewhere, and given a lack of demand, some of those cards may only sell for $1- or so in a true auction format if you put them on Ebay.
            For dedicated Master Player Set collectors, they will be interested in graded examples, period, whether or not the "slot" is currently on the Player Registry. There's no value to you to get the cards added to the Registry Set, which, as you assert correctly, can take months.

My general feeling is that your best monetization path is to sell the star singles to player set collectors. There are not many people who will pay you hundreds of dollars, for example, for a set of these discs, no matter how rare they may or may not be. To that end, I would certainly be very interested in the 1988 Weis Winners Schmidt disc you pictured, and you can reach me via private message if you'd like to consider a direct sale.

Congrats on the great pickup.
            MS
            I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
          • Options
            bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are not many people who will pay you hundreds of dollars, for example, for a set of these discs, no matter how rare they may or may not be. >>

I can think of one person. image
          • Options
            mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
            Hi Christian- I might be interested in 1 or 2. Pls turn your PM on and we cand discuss further. Thx.
            Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
          • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are not many people who will pay you hundreds of dollars, for example, for a set of these discs, no matter how rare they may or may not be. >>

I can think of one person. image >>

Bob... That person wouldn't be you would it?

guidi.christian@gmail.com
            Christian
          • Options
            Turned my PM on and put my email up for anyone interested in discussing any of the discs more privately. Thanks for your interest!
            Christian