Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Red Books-What's it worth

Not sure what sub forum this was supposed to be in. Anyone have any idea what a 1947 Red Book would go for?
Mint condition except for a little indentation in the upper left hand corner of the front cover. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    fwit

"The Red Book has been called the "coin collector's bible" because it is the most widely used U.S. coins price guide in the world. The first edition of the Red Book was published in 1947 to great acclaim by the coin collecting community. The first press run of 9,000 copies quickly sold out, necessitating a second press run of 9,000 more. Copies of this first edition are listed in the Red Book itself for $1,200 to $1,500 each, but anybody who has tried to buy a nicely preserved copy will assure you you'll pay much more than that to obtain one."

"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One should also keep in mind that there was a Tribute Edition of the 1947 issue published much later that sells for quite a bit less.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Does it have any autographs on the interior?

• Options
    deleschdelesch Posts: 182
    Thanks for all the replies. It has no autographs on the inside. Once i figure out how to post a pic i will.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    You can tell whether yours is from the 1st or 2nd printing by the bottom of p. 135. The 1st printing has a line ending in "scarcity of this date", while the same line in the 2nd printing reads "... scarcity of 1903-O".

Books from the first printing usually command a bit more, IMO.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got any pics of it and of course welcome to the forums
  • Options
    A Few photos: Front, Back, Spine, pg 135. Thanks again for the info.

• Options
    Please look in the back of yours and see if there are any color photos.

Yours looks in SUCH good condition that it may actually be the reprint. The original 1947 edition had only black & white photos, while the reprint had color pics in the back.

Edit: Also, how many pages is yours? The original 1947 edition was 254 pages (with an additional page of coin folder info), while the 2007 "Tribute" edition is 288 pages.
  • Options
    No all B&W. Im 100% assuming its an original. We found it moving a grandparent stored in double plastic in a briefcase.
  • Options

Looks like you have a 1st edition, 2nd printing in excellent condition.

Nice find!

I agree with Realone that I can't see someone paying over $1500 for one of these (particularly a 2nd printing), but it's still worth several hundred dollars.

• Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036

<< <i>So I have a question, after looking at those photos of your Redbook, and comapring them to my similar edition and condition, I noticed that my example is maroon in color and not red like yours, can anyone explain that to me? Thanks! >>

Interesting , the tribute edition does appear to be maroon.

1947 tribute edition
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>So I have a question, after looking at those photos of your Redbook, and comapring them to my similar edition and condition, I noticed that my example is maroon in color and not red like yours, can anyone explain that to me? Thanks! >>

Interesting , the tribute edition does appear to be maroon.

1947 tribute edition >>

It is the ist edition and it is old from 1947 that is all I can say, but it sure isn't red, and that is all I know. >>

You know what i think the script is , your book was red at one time , over time its matured to maroon and this reissue tribute edition is colored to mimic what a genuine 1947 book would look like , maroon.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd edition is generally worth much less, although this is a very high grade example. I've seen top 1st edition, 1st printing sell for north of $2500. My guess is this one is worth $1000 or so if there are no problems, no hidden problems, it's real, etc. maybe more. The key to these is the quality of the gilt and yours looks outstanding. I would consign it to one of the leading book dealers Kolbe&Fanning, Charlie Davis or David Sklow to get the maximum. Kolbe and Davis both have significant libraries, museums, etc. on their mailing lists so they generally bring higher prices. David may as well, I just don't know. This would be a nice item for Kolbe's big money annual sale in January in NYC.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We found it moving a grandparent stored in double plastic in a briefcase. >>

Hmmm... I think your syntax may be a bit off here image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious what the value of an AU , 1936 D Washington quarter in the 1947 Red Book is.
    Let's assume it's in a PCGS holder. Or how about a VF 1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent ?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a new RB, there is a price guide at the rear of the book.
    In new condition $1800 for the 1st printing. The 2nd printing
    brings a tad less. In used condition anywhere from $325 - $ $1400

EDIT: How do you grade these books anyway?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    As others point out , prices in a redbook have never been famous for being accurate.

1947 1st ed Ebay
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Again, just becasue they have a price list for such stuff doesn't make it representative of reality, I am sure they don't follow the prices like PCGS does>>

Understood, so 15-20% less than the listed values?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>As others point out , prices in a redbook have never been famous for being accurate.
    1947 1st ed Ebay >>

Tut-tut, my good man. The 2013 edition lists the value of the 1947 first printing as $350 in VG and $700 in Fine.

The listed auction has a starting price of $400 and a Buy-It-Now of of $800. I would grade the listed book as VG given its cracked binding, faded gilt on the cover, and other wear.

• Options
    See the second photo, and the amount of wear on the spine. Also the fourth photo, which shows the binding pulling apart and the page nearly loose from its stitching.

• Options
    "Nearly New" 1947 Red Books are scarce as hen's teeth --- that's why they bring the big bucks!

As long as there are coin collectors, there will be Red Book collectors.

The 1947 is akin to a 1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln cent. 18,000 were "minted" (printed), so they're out
    there in the marketplace --- but the demand is there, too. It's a key date that will always have
    appeal. There are low-grade examples for people who want to affordably complete their sets,
    and there are "monsters" for those who go for top pops. The price you pay will ride the
    sliding-scale continuum of supply, demand, and grade; being in the right place at the right time;
    cherrypicking for quality; having the right connections; keeping an ear to the ground; and
    everything else that goes into collecting!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade the one in the EBay auction a G or G+, with the cracked spine I wouldn't go VG. I have 2 1st/1st, both in far better condition than that one and I didn't pay $800 for either. The OP's, on the other hand, is very nice.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage The Red books are fun to collect. The 1947 R.B. is very underrated. To think way back then,the prices,the era,the tough times,Ken B. how young he was,how young we were ( 10 years before I was born ). Pretty cool! If I had the money, I definitily would buy.What a keepsake. Welcome aboard!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the input and the welcomes. Trying to find someone to authenticate the book before it goes for sale.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS should start ' Grading' RedBooks! Only RedBooks. I think this would excite the hobby a bit? Then you know the guy's across the street would follow suit.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file