Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about 2009 lincoln cents

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
I noticed on the price guide that there is NO listing for the Copper cents from the Mint sets.

Shouldn't there be a different listing for 90% copper cents from the plated zink cents?

The only way to get the copper MS cent was from the mint sets which would have a mintage SOOOO much lower than the regular production cents....
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed on the price guide that there is NO listing for the Copper cents from the Mint sets.

Shouldn't there be a different listing for 90% copper cents from the plated zink cents?

The only way to get the copper MS cent was from the mint sets which would have a mintage SOOOO much lower than the regular production cents.... >>

Weren't they also issued in rolls?

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I noticed on the price guide that there is NO listing for the Copper cents from the Mint sets.

The only way to get the copper MS cent was from the mint sets which would have a mintage SOOOO much lower than the regular production cents.... >>

Weren't they also issued in rolls?

image >>

I don't believe the copper ones were.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Weren't they also issued in rolls? >>

IIRC, no... They were in sets only.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the mintage for the 2009 mint sets?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>What was the mintage for the 2009 mint sets? >>

I've seen conflicting numbers but they do seem to be around:
    Mint: 728,371

That is from Cointalk. I don't have a redbook on me to see what they say.
    I did see at least 3 different numbers when I was Bing'ing around and searching online.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    What do the Lincoln collectors say about that coin. Is it a required coin if you collect that series? I would think the nature of being the original cent composition would drive the demand for them, but as you can easily see from the price of the Mint sets, there appears to be no premium (to this point in life) for that coin. I think there is serious sleeper potential, but I often guess wrong.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Are the proofs copper??
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had expected that by this time there would be some upward motion for the prices on these coins, but that does not appear to be the case.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I believe that the albums need to be updated and start calling this out. Most likely a few other things as well, but until there is some hyping of them, and some pressure to fill them in, then they are just sitting and waiting in the Bermuda Triangle of numismatics.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the proofs copper?? >>

according to this blog , yes. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great sleeper in the making imho. Some of us have been squirrelling away 09 Mint sets for a while.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a great sleeper in the making imho. Some of us have been squirrelling away 09 Mint sets for a while. >>

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the proofs copper?? >>

According to the Mint's website; Yes.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a great sleeper in the making imho. Some of us have been squirrelling away 09 Mint sets for a while. >>

Possibly but they will have an extremely low attrition rate which will affect the prices in the long run.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Possibly but they will have an extremely low attrition rate which will affect the prices in the long run. >>

Kinda like the 31-S cents, no???
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just pulled out the P & D coin sets I have and they seem to be toning pretty rapidly in the holder . Is anyone else seeing purple toning on theirs ? Its not happening to the proofs
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For consistency's sake, these coppers would have to be considered separate issues, if you accept that the 1982 copper and zinc versions of the Lincoln set are also separate issues. I think eventually price guides will come around to this. The 2013 Red Book lists them separately now, as "Copper, satin finish". They don't list the mintage on the Lincoln Set page, only under the Mint Sets on p. 348. Their stated mintage is 784,614.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I'm with you guys. I bought a lot of these sets. I really thought that they'd be winners.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭
    Still waiting for these to be recognized. When I bought my batch, I expected some dealer or TV seller to start promoting them after they went off sale. That never happened.
    Waited a long time to have the final mintage. The most accurate number up to the 2013 redbook was from the 2010 US mint annual report.
    In the 2012 Redbook, they were listed in the same entry line as the zinc, with a footnote that the satin finish were copper.
    In the 2013 Redbook, they are given they own entry line, specifically stating they are copper. Other satin finish cents do not have this.

Next, hopefully, albums will start including them with their own spots. Then for every album sold we can expect demand to increase by one.

May take a long time, but when prices start rising they should be solid and not a roller coaster.

Mint stats at numismatic news froze about 774,xxx the week before they went of sale. The 2010 US Mint annual report reported 785 thousand. It looks like the redbook number of 784,614 is accurate.
    The 1931-S moved from 2nd to 10th place @ 866,000

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Searching through my U09 mint sets today I discovered I had what Wexler considers (by his estimated value) the "best of" variety error on the 2009D formative cent. It's the WDDR-005 doubled thumb. I would

say it probably would be graded around a 65. Kind of cool because, as we know, most of the errors were found in the zinc made "P" series from the lp2 mint issued boxes and some found in regular bank boxes.

So now, with the low mintage of these satin finish copper cents, these errors are going to be extremely rare. What the ultimate value will be only time will tell. With the new CPG due out in the new year we'll

start to get a real feel for these single squeeze doubled die errors.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten calls from two guys looking for $25 boxes of 2009 cents. I pointed out that the bank boxes are zinc and they should be looking for proofs or SF coins. They said "thanks" in a way that implied they knew something I don't and didn't want to clue me in. --Jerry
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the people who called you on the 2009p bank boxes are probably looking for the errors that are only found in those particular boxes. Many of the formative series errors are exclusively found in the bank

boxes. I collect these as well. PM me if you have any unopened, unsearched original 2009p formative 50 roll boxes that you want to sell.

Back to the subject at hand, I believe the satin finish errors are the winners because of the low mintages with the copper content. Any errors found in these will have a very low percentage (less than 800,000

total minted...400,000 "D"mint?) Let's say (guessing) 10% produced with errors = 40,000 errors divided by 12 known satin finish errors leaves us, assuming there's an equal amount of errors, with about

3,333 errors of each kind. Now if I'm wrong and the Denver mint produced around 800,000 individually, then the math is simple...there will be about 6,666 of each error to be found...TOTAL! I like those

percentages. Now, getting them graded by our hosts with the designation on the label would be the icing on the cake. If my calculations are correct (I have one "D" satin finish formative cent with wddr-005)

there's just 3,332 left out there...lol
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the MS Mint set and PR coins from any set from the mint are all copper/bronze cents. The Mint made a special point of mentioning that fact in the item descriptions.

I too am in the sleeper camp.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    The commemorative Lincoln set that was limited to 50,000 I believe also contained a set of the 4 copper cents, not sure of mint mark.

Edit: these were proof coins.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, sleepers indeed. Hang onto them.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the people who called you on the 2009p bank boxes are probably looking for the errors that are only found in those particular boxes. Many of the formative series errors are exclusively found in the bank

boxes. I collect these as well. PM me if you have any unopened, unsearched original 2009p formative 50 roll boxes that you want to sell.

Back to the subject at hand, I believe the satin finish errors are the winners because of the low mintages with the copper content. Any errors found in these will have a very low percentage (less than 800,000

total minted...400,000 "D"mint?) Let's say (guessing) 10% produced with errors = 40,000 errors divided by 12 known satin finish errors leaves us, assuming there's an equal amount of errors, with about

3,333 errors of each kind. Now if I'm wrong and the Denver mint produced around 800,000 individually, then the math is simple...there will be about 6,666 of each error to be found...TOTAL! I like those

percentages. Now, getting them graded by our hosts with the designation on the label would be the icing on the cake. If my calculations are correct (I have one "D" satin finish formative cent with wddr-005)
    there's just 3,332 left out there...lol >>

I love your thinking and I love your numbers! Hope your right. ( fingers crossed.)image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file