Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1881-S Morgan with color. To grade or not to grade?

What your favorite toned piece here?
Should any of them get graded? I did just get back a monster toned PCGS63, and these are noticeably nicer (as far as strike, bag marks...)

So whats your favorite as far as color, and which ones, if any, should I get graded?

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Luster really doesn't come through in any of the pics, so it's hard to decide which to send in on that basis. But I find the spot in the left obverse field on #2 to be pretty distracting, so I probably wouldn't submit it for that reason alone.

I like #4 and #5.
  • Options
    Yeah, the luster isn't strong on the pics, but they are all full and doing cartwheels.
    I'm trying to find a happy medium of color to luster, but no dice yet.
    These were just shot with axial, so... yeah.
  • Options
    JustlookingJustlooking Posts: 2,895
    I like the toning on three and four, but I'm not sure I would grade them, unless you think they'll go 65 or above. Can't tell from the photos.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    In order to justify the costs of slabbing, the coin would need to be at least MS66 for me. None of the coins are worth the fee in my opinion.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer based on the photos. Maybe play with the contrast to see if that helps get a more natural/in-hand look.
    That said, 1881-S is a coin that comes with great luster and strike. I've had a few that are nicely toned as well. So, Get them slabbed if you want.
    They aren't rare by any means, but as long as you like them, go for it...just may not score huge when you go to sell (but, if the right person sees them, and likes them, you may)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order to justify the costs of slabbing, the coin would need to be at least MS66 for me. None of the coins are worth the fee in my opinion. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I think the current images are throwing us off. Dull, flat images with no pop and almost look desaturated. I cannot tell about what grade they may be but even 63/64 can have a decent premium with the toning. I have a feeling that with these being '81 San Frans that there is indeed luster. I also do not think there is much in way of distracting or ugly blotches of toning which is nice. Sure, they are uneven in the toning but I think there could be some nice color here. #5 could be a pleasant surprise if seeing it hand, perhaps? image
  • Options

<< <i>I think the current images are throwing us off. Dull, flat images with no pop and almost look desaturated. I cannot tell about what grade they may be but even 63/64 can have a decent premium with the toning. I have a feeling that with these being '81 San Frans that there is indeed luster. I also do not think there is much in way of distracting or ugly blotches of toning which is nice. Sure, they are uneven in the toning but I think there could be some nice color here. #5 could be a pleasant surprise if seeing it hand, perhaps? image >>

The toning, although potentially pleasant (it is difficult to tell whether they will "pop" in hand), is not the type that commands a large premium (if any at all).
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757
    "These were just shot with axial, so... yeah. "

Cant tell anything from images with axial lighting.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #4 others,kind of dark.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Use the axial for proofs, not toners.
    Becky
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuzzy images with no contrast are hard to grade. But getting them certified on the economy level of service would at least let your customers have more confidence in them. And you might get lucky on one and make enough up grade to pay for the group.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file