Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weak mint mark or not?? Poll

Some of the halves have had weak mint marks, especially in lower grades.
Is this a case of having a weak mint mark?

Coin in question:
The letters looks short and squat, as I had to shoot the coin at a pretty steep angle

Coin to compare. It may not be exact, but to give an idea.

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to think that on all the 1916 Mercury dimes I had. Each one had that "weak" D. image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Heck, I thought all my 16-S Mercs were just misshaped D's
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe? It's just the bottom part of your "s" seems too fat!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it dont look it. jmo thou
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    An amazing poll so far (right down the middle). I can see the very weak "S".
    Paul
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya Know, I can actully see that, but then again I TOO have a bunch of 1916 Mercs that sometimes after hours under
    the glass, I can see that Dimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm applying the same logic to this that I apply to varieties. If I find myself squinting and tilting it 'just right' and then I think I see it, I conclude it isn't and I move on. If I see it immediately and there is no doubt, I conclude it is and buy it.

I'm thinking that with the amount of wear visible in the pics, there should be no doubt the mintmark is there.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    I can see a what I think is a very faint mm. What is the date of the coin in question?
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I think it's just an old reeding mark
  • Options
    I'm going to say yes, only because of the comparison photo. They are in the same spot if you ask me, and that would be just too slim of chance if it wasn't a MM.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    post mint damage in just the right spot.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file