Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At a Major Coin Show, do you Walk up to and Introduce Yourself to Dealers that Post Here?

dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
For years and years I would always just keep to myself, but last year at the huge ANA in Chicago I decided to break out of my shell and actually attempt to walk up to and introduce myself to a handful of dealers that regularly post here. So whenever I walked by the table of a dealer that I recognized their name I would approach them and say "hey, you're XXXXX" and they would hesitatingly say "yes" and then I would hold out my hand and say "hi, I'm dragon from the PCGS boards". Well most would just give me a sort of confused look and a half smile as if to say 'so what' and 'move along'.

After this same thing happened about 6 or 7 times I stopped doing this and realized that I must be even more odd looking than I thought, and twice as awkward.

Interestingly, the one dealer that actually seemed happy to meet me and we even struck up a nice conversation was poorguy (Brandon) and he also introduced me to Jhon E. Cash and I was very happy to meet him and talk for a few minutes.

So do you introduce yourself to familiar dealer names at major shows or keep to yourself?

Comments

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Not after reading this post I wont.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I usually introduce myself to the dealers I know from the forum. If they are not glad to meet or see me that's their problem.image
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    No I don't and any thought I ever had of doing it just went out the window after hearing your experiance.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>No I don't and any thought I ever had of doing it just went out the window after hearing your experiance. >>

I am 99% sure it's just me, and most dealers are actually very friendly and receptive to meeting fellow forum members and also quite personable.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay sellers have a BBL list . For shows dealers have an ONIH list

be careful how you reply to this thread or you will get on it

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have for those who I have exchanged PMs with.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do, if we sort of know one another through PM's, BST, etc. I've met a lot of nice folks from here, and not just dealers.
    Lance.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I sure do, and it has made me some great friends. The fine folks at Eagle Eye, Legend, Numismatic Americana, The Penny Lady, Julian, TomB are just a few that come to mind. I have also become friends with non posters such as Doug Winter, Mark Feld, and Andy and Alynne Skrabalak.

If they are busy I leave 'em alone. If they are just settin' around, we are gonna schmooze.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I find myself engaged in conversation with a dealer that happens to be a member here, I'll add that to the conversation. Otherwise, I don't bother for reasons cited above. If a dealer is unwelcoming, bringing up the PCGS boards will either not change that or, if it does, show that they are a bit artificial, too.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure have.
    Even folks that I had never dealt with or really done PMs with or anything.

The first major show for me was FUN2005. Just a year or so after joining the boards. I didn't really know anyone that was a dealer at that time, and not even many collectors (hadn't met any in person).
    I attended the PCGS FUN Luncheon that year, which, following my path of luck, was one of the only years they didn't have a sample coin to give away.....

The table I was at had HRH and David Bowers, among a few others. I did NOT introduce myself to them as I was too awstruck and just listening to their stories while they talked at the table. I had 2 seats but my wife couldn't make it, so I gave the seat to LTC (LongTimeCollector....Jim).

After that, at any coin show, I have made sure to try to introduce myself to dealers that post here, as long as I am not overly turned off by their posting style. (I admit it).
    Sometimes, I have had other collectors at the shows take me to meet certain dealers that I either didn't know where there, or who they were (ie....they deal in things I don't collect and I didn't put forum name to dealer name). All of them have been really cool folks so far.

It's also a surprise when meeting one of them, that I don't really interact on the boards with much, and they recognize my forum name and actually know some of my postings and we discuss topics. Kind of neat. Kind of scary when they say they like my postings image

I won't name names as I don't want to offend the dealers I would inadvertantly leave off the list of having met at the shows, but I can say that I would encourage you, and others, to keep trying. Dragon, you have some awesome coins and any forum member/dealer that looks confused must be a little out of it at the time. Now, about the odd-looking part, I can't comment image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the guy who will be wearing the black cape, mask and sword...look for me in Philly!

And, as usual, The Shadow is looking for PL Morgans!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten the same kind of response from some dealers. It is a little awkward. Doesn't really bother me though. Once I start talking coins with them they warm right up. (Most of them that is image )

I have also had certain dealers act weird one time I see them and then another time act normal. I guess it is the bipolar side of numismatics image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Just the opposite reaction with the "Penny Lady". She actually keeps a list of us so that we can seek out each other. A real class act.
    Paul
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just the opposite reaction with the "Penny Lady". She actually keeps a list of us so that we can seek out each other. A real class act. >>

Charmy is a great lady and has a friendly outgoing personnality unlike most coin dealers.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would

I believe you learned something by doing it
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Only half kidding, but somebody should put a banner up at their table...PCGS Forum members get 5% off, if they identify themselves by username!

And suddenly, you'd be hip deep in new friends!
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I did that twice in Chicago.

The first person seemed to be taken aback so I tried to be polite and just moved on.

The second person I had seen previously at a show in Vegas. In vegas I got a positive result but when I saw that same dealer in Chicago (who I am sure did not recognize me) it was pretty much the opposite reaction.

So I think it just depends on the person and varies by the day, but overall, unless I already know them I am just going to avoid it in the future.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man,

I am surprised, and sorry, that so many of you get non-positive reactions from most of the dealers you attempt to meet from the boards image
    I think I come across pretty abrasive (I am pretty blunt on things), but I have received such positive interactions from the dealers that I never would have thought others wouldn't experience the same, or better.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found the few I have met to be very willing to take my money. Also some were just happy to say hello if I could not find anything to spend it on.image

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sometimes written "keyman64" on my name tag but in doing so it is also kind of like saying "Hi, I would like to Cherrypick some great Mercury Dime Varieties out of your inventory that you have been too lazy to notice." imageimage

Other times I just leave it off my name tag, try to Cherrypick and then introduce myself to a few folks.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met FoodDude, Rick Snow, Fred Weinberg and Charmy that way. Not sure they remember but it was really me.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I introduce myself from time-to-time, but it largely depends upon if I want to speak with that person at the show. In general, I have had a very favorable response when doing so, but one time a mutual friend introduced me to another board member and that member appeared to have never heard of me, asked if I was new to the boards and then left. Dragon, I would introduce myself to you.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I am able to go to shows, there is usually a few dealers with whom I will chat. Some I know from the Board and most through other venues. Usually they are busy enough that I let them be as they are trying to earn a living ... and deal with crazy dealers and collectors.

Two folks with whom I always enjoy talking are Fred and Kathy of Fred Weinberg. Great stories, pleasant conversation, and I always tend to learn something (good or bad!) while I visit.

I just with I could travel to more shows ... that was one nice thing about being at the ANA ... spending time at the shows talking with friends who happen to also be dealers.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Once in a while. Lot of nice people on this board (whether you want to admit it or not). I've actually been put to work behind the booth on a couple of occasions. Sometimes that 'sit down and relax' has a price attached!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    "hi, I'm dragon from the PCGS boards".

they might wonder if dragon is a verb or a noun.. like what else are you draggin? see?
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Just the opposite reaction with the "Penny Lady". She actually keeps a list of us so that we can seek out each other. A real class act. >>

you wouldnt think there would be enough hours in the day to do that? image
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wei looked at me like I was going to pickpocket him.image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know of any dealers that set up shop anywhere so my answer is no.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I always introduce myself if the dealer is even a semi-regular poster here (I don't count BST-only users). With one exception it's always been a pleasant experience. The exception was a dealer (who doesn't post here any more anyway) who gave me a reaction like dragon got. It's always a treat to chat with board members at shows.

I remember one show where I was buying a coin and I wasn't sure if the seller was a participant here or not, so I asked. Seller said no, but looked at my hat (which has my board handle on it) and said, "Oh, you're kranky!" Some dealers lurk but don't ever participate, but I don't imagine there are a lot of those.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    John K. is very receptive also, but he usually has a crowd of admirers (of his wares) to fight through to get to him to say "hi".
    Paul
  • Options
    I usually just start tossing $100 bills into the air...then I have lots of new friends!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done that with Fred Weinberg, The Penny Lady, Todd (BluCC) and Rick Snow, and all were very cool to talk to. Fred helped me with a PCGS error submission, and Charmy even put me in her Houston Money show review. She also confirmed that an IHC a dealer friend of mine picked up in a bulk deal was fake. Todd and I talked VAMs and he showed me his camera rig.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every one of the dealers that I have as peers on this forum with whom I have become acquainted have been very cordial and sincere, whether it be in business or in social settings. I know I'll forget someone from here, but a few that quickly come to mind: Julian, Pistareen, CRO, TomB, homerunhall, EagleEye, FredWeinberg, ColonialCoinUnion, MrEureka, BillJones, BigMoose, poorguy, nencoin, VTcoins, RKKay, njcoincrank. I don't consider myself any more or less important than any one of them, but I sure as hell want to learn as much as I can from each and every one of them, so I won't hesitate to greet them at a show in the proper circumstance. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would even walk up and introduce myself to dealers who used to be here.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    If a dealer does not know me it is because I have not spent a lot of money with him. In which case he doesn’t care who I am. A lot of dealers think that the collectors who post here are a bunch of jerks. So all things being equal, I’d rather have a dealer not care who I am than think I am a jerk.

CG
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I introduce myself to a dealer for the first time, I do so using my first name, not MidLifeCrisis.

It works better that way.
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    The only one that I've met so far is The Penny Lady.
    I have always enjoyed her postings about the shows that she attends and she is the most recognizable of all on this board.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I've met a few who recognized my handle, and it was a pleasant enough experience. However, as I was (and still am, really) new to the hobby, I didn't know anyuone that first show, and so, had written my handle on my name tag, and hung it on my back thinking anyone who recognized it had a choice to tap me on the shoulder or not, but no one did.

I was at that show for 4 hours... and if I met anyone, it was someone I recognized from these boards (Penny Lady, Todd, a few others).

As a relative rookie at the time, I was not comfortable in this strange new environment, and hoped to meet a friendly face, or have someone recognize my handle - you have to admit, it's memorable - and take the initiative. Sigh...

I suppose my popularity would heighten if I won the lottery, and decided to go coin shopping... but that wouldn't be especially genuine, now, would it?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    School is out, so time to play, again!

I have made countless dealer AND collector contacts that originated on this forum and culminated in face-to-face meetings at shows. In almost every instance, these have been at the very worst pleasant and at their best, very rewarding. I will not list the collectors that I have met through the forum, but, suffice to say, the number is probably over 100, and I will no doubt forget many if I list them.

I will similarly not list every dealer that I have met at shows because of my contact with them through this forum, but instead, I will list a smaller group that I would recommend that are very friendly, travel to numerous national and regional shows, and are or were active members of this forum at some time (in no particular order):
    1. Charmy
    2. Julian
    3. CCU and CRO (John and Dave)
    4. Rich Uhrich
    5. Mark Feld
    6. njcoincrank

Once you master these half dozen softies (above), you will be credentialed and, hopefully, confident to take on the following list:
    1. John K (Pistareen)--sharpen your elbows to fight your way to the front of his table.
    2. Lady Legend--are you sure you have what it takes? image
    3. WTCG--will your wisecrack be worthy, grasshopper?
    4. MrEureka--bring a dog biscuit if you want to get any service.
    5. PTVETTER--if you are wearing a purple shirt, you might walk away with a black eye.
    6. Anaconda--when you are ready for the international coin and pot bourse.

I will say that the first time I met Laura (Legend) was about 2003 at a St. Louis coin show, and I literally came up to her and said something original like: "Hi, I am RYK from the PCGS forum." I believe she did an eye roll, shrugged me off, and we have been great friends ever since. Really!

I will also add that making friends with dealers has allowed me access to coins that I would have never otherwise had, has opened my eyes to the inner workings of the coin business, has provided me excellent and proprietary market information, and has made going to coin shows a lot more fun.

Frankly, it has been my experience that collectors are more typically the ones lacking social skills, not the dealers. Coin collecting is a hobby for introverts; retail coin dealing is for extroverts. Don't be afraid to step up to the plate. It is worth it.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I believe a good introduction is the key to opening doors.

Like I always do myself I would rather have someone muster up an ounce of courage and introduce themselves to me in a cordial manner than have someone play the role of the shy peeping Tom peering at me from afar then claiming to have met me when they really hadn't.

It reminds me of a good friend of mine who's had a history of futility with women. I've always taken the initiative to introduce women I'm acquainted with to him but he often refuses the introductions because he thinks "they're awkward for everybody". I think it's even more awkward to glare at women without the benefit of an introduction.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Have met Rick Snow and Charmy Harker and went on to enjoy many a nice dinner and plenty of after show poker with these two, always a great time. Have also met and sold a few Morgans to WTCG when I had a table at the Ontario CA show. Julian always has a friendly smile and a handshake, as does Todd and his dad, Roger ( Haven't got Todd to the poker table yet ). Illini, Robkool as well as Bear before he passed. Mark Feld is a great guy and gives great advise, I had him shop for a SVDB for me once sight unseen to me and he nailed it. Everyone I named was very friendly and very approachable :-)

My one experience that was not so positive was with a MAJOR dealer...when I introduced myself, I got the look of " Oh, your one of the " Chatroom Weenies " :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I introduced myself to Charmy, who was very nice, and Todd of BlueCC, also very nice and approachable. Todd even answered some basic photography questions for me.
  • Options
    JustlookingJustlooking Posts: 2,895
    If I ever do go to a show, I'll be sure to introduce myself. Hi, I'm just looking. image
    Let's try not to get upset.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file