Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The first Baseball Card Collector Article

NY Times Article

Rather interesting read. Would have love to have met him.

Comments

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    great piece - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    "He used water-soluble glue to paste his collection into 640 albums measuring 12 ½ inches by 15 inches."

-That part made my stomach turn image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Very nice article.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Jefferson Burdick was a card/Americana collector, not a baseball card collector. 99% of his cards and the cards listed in his American Card Catalog (ACC) are nonsports, and not even cards.

he collected postcards, matchbooks, premiums, blankets, felts, diecuts, inserts, banners, sheet music, cigar bands, calendars, tradecards, wrappers, leathers, pins, metals, playing cards, game cards, folders, weighing machine cards, business cards, stamps, reward of merit cards, menus, programs, tokens, bible cards, paper dolls, etc. and they are all found listed in the ACC as well
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    good read. thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing Troy.

I saw this article while roaming Yahoo. I visited the Met Museum - when I was stationed at Ft Hamilton - to see his exhibit and they didn't have a lot of stuff up at the time - this was back in the early 90s.

Here's one of the earliest pics I have of Burdick and his "crew."

I have a great letter regarding Charles Bray where he offers 25 bucks for the T206 Honus Wagner!

I have Burdick's 1960 card catalog - I believe it's the earliest "hard bound" version - I'd like to have his earliest catalog tho.

Here's the 1953 version which was signed by Burdick and sold for almost 5K! The earliest version (ACC) that I know of was in 1946.

Mike