Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1961 Franklin Back from NCS Before and After Photos

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry about the poor pic but you can see the difference.
White specks are dust

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Wow, looks like they did a great job on this big one. What's the backstory? Did you pick it out of a proof set?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can they make it a cameo?

just a joke

I am happy for you.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    cha-ching

kool they took care of bizz n holdered it for ya...image
    big coin...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Wow - quite a difference.

Would be interesting to know if the spot reappears over time.

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Wow, you suck. A very sellable coin
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think this might be a nice YOU Suck award. Congrats .......tom
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Amazing what the professional application of EZ-Est will do for a modern proof coin.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice DDR. After spending a lot of $$ on NCS's services for silver proofs, I decided to start dipping the cloudy ones in diluted EZ-Est with a distilled water rinse. I've had the same results, and the coins have graded here and at ANACS without any issues...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Looks very nice! The spot on the H of HALF is completely gone!

Did you find this one in a sealed proof set?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCS ... the professional coin doctors. And just like real doctors, your patient information is confidential - no disclosure of work being done.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>can they make it a cameo?

just a joke

I am happy for you. >>

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCS ... the professional coin doctors.

hasn't the issue of NCS and what they do been settled, that it isn't considered "doctoring" in the broad definition of the term??
  • Options

<< <i>NCS ... the professional coin doctors.

hasn't the issue of NCS and what they do been settled, that it isn't considered "doctoring" in the broad definition of the term?? >>

• Options

<< <i>NCS ... the professional coin doctors.

hasn't the issue of NCS and what they do been settled, that it isn't considered "doctoring" in the broad definition of the term?? >>

Settled by whom? I must have missed that meeting. NCS is paid to alter a coin (euphemistically referred to as "conservation") to make it "better" (i.e. more valuable) and then, if done well enough, place the coin in a "problem-free" holder without disclosing what was done because they now view the coin as market acceptable. That IS coin doctoring by my definition (which is more conservative than others' ... then again I do not gain financially from the practice).

The hobby and market supports this activity ... heck, the ANA even encourages it!

[I am not trying to hijack the thread in to a "what is doctoring" thread as we can agree to disagree on the "gray areas" of dipping. NCS does not do the things that we all abhor like adding substances or moving metal with the intent to deceive.]
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it was clear that when NGC's conserving arm ie NCS gets a hold of a coin and cleans it and then passes it back to NGC for grading the grade can't be trusted, almost like insider trading or it typically gets a WOW / LOOK grade? >>

I can see the logic of that, if the coin was in one of their holders originally. However this coin was a raw submission.
    The OP can just as easily submit the coin now to our hosts and see if the coin crosses. I'd leave it in the new holder
    when submitting. The coin is a lock 67 IMHO.

Stunning coin, wish I had that coin in that grade when I assembled my set of Proof Franklins. It was my only missing coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am only asking a question, or was that simple fact lost somehow??

to clarify my statement i used the "search" feature to refresh my memory and i had in fact been correct in my recollection, though individual acceptance of things may be different. here's a link to the thread announcing what the PNG has stated and below is a quick synopsis for those who are inclined to not follow the link. i would add that according to the linked article PNG member dealers in attendance overwhelmingly approved this definition and that what NCS does is well within these guidelines. i'm not trying to be arguementative or to say who's right or wrong on this issue, only stating that it has apparently been settled by an influential Hobby organization.

Coin doctoring refers to the alteration of any portion of a coin, when that process includes any of the following:

1) Movement, addition to, or otherwise altering of metal, so that a coin appears to be in a better state of preservation, or more valuable than it otherwise would be. A few examples are plugging, whizzing, polishing, engraving, “lasering” and adding or removing mint marks.

2) Addition of any substance to a coin so that it appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. The use of solvents and/or commercially available dilute acids, such as Jeweluster, by qualified professionals is not considered coin doctoring.

3) Intentional exposure of a coin to any chemicals, substances, or processes which impart toning, such that the coin appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. Naturally occurring toning imparted during long-term storage using established/traditional methods, such as coin albums, rolls, flips, or envelopes, does not constitute coin doctoring.

• Options

<< <i>i am only asking a question, or was that simple fact lost somehow??

to clarify my statement i used the "search" feature to refresh my memory and i had in fact been correct in my recollection, though individual acceptance of things may be different. here's a link to the thread announcing what the PNG has stated and below is a quick synopsis for those who are inclined to not follow the link. i would add that according to the linked article PNG member dealers in attendance overwhelmingly approved this definition and that what NCS does is well within these guidelines. i'm not trying to be arguementative or to say who's right or wrong on this issue, only stating that it has apparently been settled by an influential Hobby organization.

Coin doctoring refers to the alteration of any portion of a coin, when that process includes any of the following:

1) Movement, addition to, or otherwise altering of metal, so that a coin appears to be in a better state of preservation, or more valuable than it otherwise would be. A few examples are plugging, whizzing, polishing, engraving, “lasering” and adding or removing mint marks.

2) Addition of any substance to a coin so that it appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. The use of solvents and/or commercially available dilute acids, such as Jeweluster, by qualified professionals is not considered coin doctoring.

3) Intentional exposure of a coin to any chemicals, substances, or processes which impart toning, such that the coin appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. Naturally occurring toning imparted during long-term storage using established/traditional methods, such as coin albums, rolls, flips, or envelopes, does not constitute coin doctoring.
    >>

Yes, the simple fact was lost in your post. But I see what you are asking now. Before I get myself bammed (image ), I just going to leave it as I don't agree fully with PNG's definition and acknowledge that I am in the minority. But I am not a member of that club, so my opinion is meaningless to them.

Edited to make sure the funny emoticon worked!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why? i don't seen why you'd want that fixed. it's just toning, right? i am happy that you're pleased with the result, but i don't see why you would get it dipped for that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file