Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

ebay's 14 Day Return Policy

OK, I have a question. If ebay is requiring all items to have a 14 day return policy here is my question.

EXAMPLE - Super Bowl Sunday 2013 Browns VS Bengals.

Someone gets on ebay the week before the Super Bowl buying up all of Trent Richards and Brandon Weeden high end PSA rookies. His thinking is that if the Browns win can make a killing on the cards he just bought if the Browns loose he can return the items to the sellers with no questions asked.

Is this something that can actual happen under Ebays new policy? I think ebay has lost their direction and has no clue about reality.
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    You should buy your cards back, wait until his return deadline has passed, then return them. The post office will be so pleased.

I was hoping for a chargers broncos superbowl. : )
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Sold a gem Barry Sanders RC then the buyer listed it as a BIN for $50 higher for 10 days and it did not sell so they returned it. All you can do is block them and move on image
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Yup - gonna be happening with all new releases too that sell high for the first week and then start going down. Once people start seeing the lower prices, they'll return the cards they bought early and rebuy at the lower prices.
  • GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    The return policy means nothing. The buyer could always return something whether or not your policy says "no returns" or "14 days".

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The return policy means nothing. The buyer could always return something whether or not your policy says "no returns" or "14 days". >>

+1

The people that will do thing like that don't need a rule change to do it. It's the reality of doing business on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I have a question. If ebay is requiring all items to have a 14 day return policy here is my question.

EXAMPLE - Super Bowl Sunday 2013 Browns VS Bengals.

Someone gets on ebay the week before the Super Bowl buying up all of Trent Richards and Brandon Weeden high end PSA rookies. His thinking is that if the Browns win can make a killing on the cards he just bought if the Browns loose he can return the items to the sellers with no questions asked.

Is this something that can actual happen under Ebays new policy? I think ebay has lost their direction and has no clue about reality. >>

Yes, this is exactly what is going to happen. It happens now, but eBay is making it easier.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • prthdprthd Posts: 1,323

<< <i>Sold a gem Barry Sanders RC then the buyer listed it as a BIN for $50 higher for 10 days and it did not sell so they returned it. All you can do is block them and move on image >>

See thats just wrong, there has to be something that can be done about this.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sold a gem Barry Sanders RC then the buyer listed it as a BIN for $50 higher for 10 days and it did not sell so they returned it. All you can do is block them and move on image >>

See thats just wrong, there has to be something that can be done about this. >>

There is. Don't sell on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Already happened to me on a Will Middlebrooks Bowman refractor...sold it for $31.95 after his call up.....buyer said they didn't want it a week later when the cards settled in around 15-20 bucks. I look at their buying history...and yep...purchased the same card I sold them for $11 bucks 2 weeks later.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It appears that the "14 day returns" policy is only required if you're trying to keep a "Top Rated Seller" ranking.

As a small-time seller who doesn't sell in enough volume to be a top-rated seller, it appears that nothing will change for me.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • I agree that the people who do this sort of thing for profit will find a way to be D-bags no matter what the "rules" are, but I also think this will open the door for buyers remorse being a bigger problem for sellers than it already is.

Just imagine how these rules could affect sellers who are smart enough to sell when certain cards are on fire. The squirrel card is a good example. The first few went for $400 to $600......not a week later they were in the $200 to $300 range.....a week after that even less. So 14 days after the guy who paid $600 quickly realizes that he is a moron and can now get the card for much less, he will no doubt return it. Now the seller who SHOULD be rewarded for selling at the right time is penalized by now having to sell the same card again well after the peak, maybe even a month later than originally sold. 14 days for the buyer to back out, plus the time it takes to get the card back and relist, plus the extra 3 to 7 days for the new auction to end. So you were smart enough to sell for $600, but will end up getting $100 because the original buyer wasn't dumb enough to keep the card.

The short lived Jeremy Lin craze is another good example.

Exactly +1

I enjoy following player call-ups, etc...and then plucking them out of my Bowman stash when its time to sell. Likely won't be as much fun (or profitable) when more and more people start using this scam.
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    PSA needs its own auction site.

<< <i>PSA needs its own auction site. >>

HELL YEAH!!! That could be huge for PSA.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    DONT PLAY THE TOP RATED, POWER SELLER BS Game Ebay plays

If you avoid the games that ebay plays then the majority of their stupid rules wont affect you in any way.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    what about buying some nice graded cards in time for the national and/or Chicago show for bumps and crossovers: those that don't make it U get to return. possible right? some dope may try doing this i guess.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DONT PLAY THE TOP RATED, POWER SELLER BS Game Ebay plays

If you avoid the games that ebay plays then the majority of their stupid rules wont affect you in any way. >>

I think this thread has convinced me to go back to my old settings... screw that 20% discount crap, I don't sell that much anyway. Thanks for talking me through it! image
  • CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Actually, you can be Top Rated Seller and have some listings that don't follow these new rules. From the ebay message:

•You can choose not to offer 1-day handling or a 14-day or longer returns on some or all of your listings. Based on your great track record, all your listings will continue to receive some additional exposure and a Top-rated seller badge. But only your listings with both of these services will receive the maximum exposure and 20% final value fee discount.

That is, only those listings that don't have these requirements won't receive the 20% discount (if you are Top Rated). Therefore, if you think you have some ebay listings that are susceptible to returns like in the OP example or if you think some of your cards are in a temporary Linsanity, you can still have no returns on those listings. You just won't get the discount for them, but that might still be okay for you in these cases.
    Buyers returning items is allowed no matter what your return policy states. They can return for a full refund either way. The 14 day return policy isn't what bothers me personally. It's the having to upload tracking info within 24 hours.

A.) Many sellers are just uploading tracking immediately even though they aren't actually mailing your item for several days. Ridiculous considering they automatically receive 5 stars on the DSR even if you get the item 2 weeks later.

B.) For sellers like me who sell predominately low price individual cards...I don't have tracking info to upload because I'm shipping with a .45 cent stamp. That's how I'm able to sell cards that people need for their sets, etc at a reasonable price. I can sell a card for $1.75 free shipping...and still make .72 cents/card after postage and fees. Not bad when you multiply that many times over. And even though I ship my items within 24 hours...it doesn't matter because there is no tracking number. This change will not effect the sellers that sell higher priced cards...but for cheap, volume sellers...it does.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Under ebay's policy the Browns cannot play the Bengals in the Super Bowl because they are in the same division.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Under ebay's policy the Browns cannot play the Bengals in the Super Bowl because they are in the same division. >>

i'm certain he was just a little confused and meant that the Houston Astros could play the Bengals in the Super Bowl after they move to the American League West Division.

<< <i>Under ebay's policy the Browns cannot play the Bengals in the Super Bowl because they are in the same division. >>

you got me.

• SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    You can have different settings for different listings. You just won't get a 20% discount on the sales without a return policy. Not a big deal if it's a hot item.
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    The whole "no questions asked' return policy on an AUCTION makes no sense...and is just wrong. Many times people bid on impulse during the "competition" of bidding and end up the winning bidder. That is what auctions are about. Returns should not be allowed unless there is a problem with the item.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Yeah being from Ohio that example made my head almost explode. image

Come on we all know for a fact that the Bengals will never win a Super Bowl, and that the Browns will never go to a Super Bowl, so ignoring the fact they are both from the AFC I guess we would have our first Super Bowl ever with two losers.