Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP - Raw copper Vicky... (New pics - last post)

This should be arriving in the next day or 2. In the meantime, these are the seller's pics.

I'll post my own pics when it arrives. Any comments are welcome (i.e. what would it grade, approx value, etc.)

Cheers

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    British grading: EF
    Maybe AU53 here; good obi. strike & weak to rev. esp. at Britannia's breast as is commonly seen with some min. rub on cheek & see rim edges for contact.

Still, nice appearing mostly brown coin. This is the type of coin that may languish a bit in the market IMO. Have to guess on the value but would say 150-200 USD.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    What 7J said, except it could be as nice as AU55. Most importantly, it appears to be an original copper.

I would give it an acetone bath as it appears there may be very light traces of PVC in the hair and in some of the design's crevices.
  • Thanks for the input. I agree with the quick acetone bath. That was one of my first thoughts, as it looks like it might have a thin layer of "grunge" on it.

Hopefully, it looks as good in hand.
  • Also, which is more scarce, the "far colon" variety or the "close colon"? All else being the same, is there any difference in desirability between the two?
  • Coin finally arrived (safely!) ... from Romania.

Gave it a quick acetone dip and took a couple of pics. May need another dip, ...maybe. I'll think about it a bit.

So, how did I do for $50 (including shipping)?

Nice job on that. Somehow it has more "character" than even a red unc. would.
    Very good.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You done good

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    That's the midas touch, looks solid gold now , Mister Stubby Goldfinger.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The price is unbeatable, but I have to disagree with Mac (who has way more expertise than me), on the originality of the coin:

Is the color of the coin, the one we see in your images, or the one in the seller's pics?

I cannot detect any luster in either set of pictures.

There are traces of an older more persistent cleaning (also visible in the seller's pics), around the head of Britannia, the letters REG and her left hand. Because of that, I believe that the coin will not grade as problem free, and therefore I suggest leaving it as it is.

For the rest, a great price for such a large coin with excellent detail.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Hmmm, not sure if that is cleaning, or IMO possibly traces of original lustre. I'll vote for the second, and once again will weigh in favor of this being quite the coin for the price and a semi-underrated date as well.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it could be the lighting based on what we see in the first image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Actually, the "in-hand" colour is closer to the original pics, except for a touch more reddish-brown. For my photos, I used a single tungsten lamp for lighting which gives it a more orange colour, but that's what it looks like under a typical desk lamp. In daylight, it appears a bit darker (like the original pics). (I know, my lighting needs work)

I believe it may have, at one time, had some gunk (dirt, grease, ?etc.) around the devices (eg.around Britannia's head, REG and trident) which was removed to show some original luster still lurking beneath. Just a guess, though. I'm not sure what affect that would have on grading, if any. I'm not concerned about that, though, since I am not sending it in for grading. I don't collect these, but I was fairly certain I couldn't go wrong for the price. I'll probably sell it for a quick profit.

Also, there is a darker semi-circle on the obverse, protruding from around 7 o'clock, which is of the same radius as another penny which may have been resting on it for many years. I reckon it was one of a few coins in a box or tin that had been left somewhere, forgotten for a long time.
  • sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭
    I liked the original much better. Did you say that you just "dipped" it or did it have a bath? My personal opinion is that you degraded the coin and probably devalued it as well.

• << <i>I liked the original much better. Did you say that you just "dipped" it or did it have a bath? My personal opinion is that you degraded the coin and probably devalued it as well. >>

The coin still looks pretty much like it did in the original pictures. All I did was give it a quick acetone bath. Acetone will not degrade the condition of a coin. I simply wanted to remove what appeared to be a light PVC coating.

If you are referring to the difference in colour from the "before" pics to the "after" pics, it is all in the lighting differences between the seller's setup and my photo setup.