Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Do you use Intercept Shield products?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
Simple poll.
Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    Google Intecept Shield if you don't know what it is.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope here.
  • Options
    Yes. I love the slab boxes.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe so many people use intercept shields. The poll must be slanted.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot believe so many people use intercept shields. The poll must be slanted. >>

The numbers seem about right in my opinion. When Intercept Shield came on to the seen, it seemed most people were excited about it so I suspect their initial sales were brisk.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not even sure if they still make incept shield
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No as IMHO if a coin was to turn in the holder it's do to surface conditions prior to slabbing.

I feel the plastic boxes of 20 that the TPG's supply are far more chemically inert then double cardboard long term storage.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    The IS product will not "suck" any contaminant out of a slab, but, as a sacrificial element, will help prevent new contaminants in the environment from reaching the coin. I have used the double-box system for over a decade with great success, as compared to some slabs that were just stored in a red double-row box. Is it just coincidental? I doubt it. And to answer a question in another post about the same topic, it needs to be replaced after 10 years because any sacrificial product, whether it be an IS product or an anode rod in your water heater, will eventually lose its effectiveness and will require replacement. With IS, there will be a change from dark copper-brown to pure black. Leave an IS box open and exposed to the elements/contaminants, and it will have to be replaced sooner than if the box is kept mostly shut.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the bulk of Intercept Shield products are for raw coins. the product will only stop contaminants from getting at a coin from outside of the holder, they won't neutralize something already on the coin inside. further, with regard to the products for encapsulated coins, it would seem a prudent investment to place thousands of dollars worth of encapsulated coins inside of a $20 box. i think the ultimate in protection in a Bank Safe Deposit Box is a double row IS box for holderd coins inside of a PVC free ziploc bag with dessicant canister.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I think of them as condoms for my coins. If for nothing else they protect the slabs themselves. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    <<...if my coins are all enacapsulated how then can something protect it through the plastic, almost like saying the reverse of what one would believe. If the coin was raw and you put the chemical next to it, well I could see it work under those conditions but if it is already encapsulated I just can't see it working well at all...>>

Hello,

Why not? Slabs are gas permeable, not really sealed as well as many think.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe, I believe...

We use desiccant to keep the air around coins and slabs dry. Why shouldn't a sacrificial material help in similar manner?

I use the double box for pricey red copper and toned copper and silver. I use the double row box for all the other slabs. I even have IS bags for old proof sets and miscellany. I figure it can't hurt.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i> if my coins are all enacapsulated how then can something protect it through the plastic >>

The slabs are not air tight. They are actually sealed at four points on the back. Soak one of your slabs in the kitchen sink over night and you'll see moisture in the slab.

• Options
    With 100 participants in this poll, it looks like about half of us use Intercept Shield. I think that's a pretty good percentage and am surprised if indeed they've closed their doors.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see the coin with all that plastic and stuff around it and I answered "yes", but not religiously.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i only had one...was kinda neat but i just like my blue box holder of 20 for the most part
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file