Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Do you believe Intercept Shield products work as they claim?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
Simple poll
Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few albums and they have worked as far as I can tell.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Google Intercept Shield if you don't know what it is.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Weimar White shows interesting photographic evidence of how well this product works in his book Coin Chemistry. When using Intercept Shield (Corrosion Shield was the trade name at the time) in concert with another holder, such as a Kointain or a slab, his results were quite compelling.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe in science so yes.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Yes - the concept is simple, and widely used in other fields.

My water heater has a sacrificial anode. My boat has zincs on the prop shaft, lower unit, trim tabs, etc. Dam gates and water towers all use similar methods to protect against galvanic action leading to corrosion.

Why not use the same principles to protect coins?

• Options

<< <i>I do believe in science so yes. >>

I too believe in science, but I don't necessarily believe in marketing. Remember, facts and statistics that can often be used to manipulate if the motivation is strong enough.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes - the concept is simple, and widely used in other fields.

My water heater has a sacrificial anode. My boat has zincs on the prop shaft, lower unit, trim tabs, etc. Dam gates and water towers all use similar methods to protect against galvanic action leading to corrosion.

Why not use the same principles to protect coins? >>

But how are these sacrificial anodes connectred to the material that they are protecting? >>

Also, galvanic corrosion utilizes an electrolyte (water) which complicates things.

• Options
    Nope. Just Cardboard
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive heard more good then bad on them.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes - the concept is simple, and widely used in other fields.

Why not use the same principles to protect coins? >>

But how are these sacrificial anodes connectred to the material that they are protecting? >>

Humidity in the air provides the connection. Obviously this means that the product provides more protection in a humid environment than in a dry area. Coincidentally, humid areas are where coins need the most protection.

• Options
    I'll admit that I had one coin turn one year after placing it in an IS box. I sold it to a local dealer a few years later and at the time was skeptical that IS actually worked. But none of my other coins have turned so the problem coin must have been improperly "conserved. I doubt IS could have saved it.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they work like a foxhole and flak jacket work for a soldier. The soldier being the coin, the flak jacket being a tpg holder, and the foxhole being the Intercept Shield box.
    A soldier doesn't want to stay in the foxhole the whole tour of duty, but he feels safer there with a flak jacket on than outside of either, while in a war zone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file