Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Estimated vs. Realized

Comments

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Seller won the lottery?
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Note it was a floor bidder vs. floor bidder......a classic duel.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot series and low estimates- not uncommon

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Similar results were seen in that auction for the GB 1887 proof set that was sold off in parts.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Those 1887 proofs were very nice, I bid double the high estimate for two of the pieces but wasn't even close.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Piastre should be a somewhat common coin in a very uncommon grade.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt think this was a $4500 coin.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Good question, and I agree Z, someone just got buried in "gotta have it" coin.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    $25 increments at over $4000???

That's what you call squeezing the lemon, eh!
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    auctions like these are not at all uncommon in Europe.
    there are, from what i hear from people in the know, certain nationals who target certain coins , usually " upper medium to high grade sleepers" and simply buy them at any cost.
    Nationals usually come from Russia, China, Poland, India and other eastern European and Asian countries. AND, most of them apparently pay in CASH, regardless of the cost. ( it is called gettingmyblackcashinasafeinvestmentwhichcannotbetracedbutcanreadilybesold)image
    Kuenker and others had auctions where the listed starting price was Euro 500. coins ended well over 50,000 (fifty mil). A friend recently bid on a German Gold piece in a German auction. It had a start price of 2500 Euro and ended at 42,000.
    he told me 2 years ago he purchased exactly one same for Euro 3000 in better shape.
    Apparently all signs now point to old India as the next "run at" must haves.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life