Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

MPL UPDATE - THE NEW ICG POPULATION REPORT

As some of you may be aware, ANACS and ICG have now complied with Ebay's requirement of reporting their population reports on line. Actually ANACS has done this for years, but this is all new for the Independent Coin Grading (ICG). Since I have been reporting Matte Proof Lincoln cent slab quantities for PCGS, NGC, and ANACS each March on this board I decided to see what ICG had out there. Their database is a mess as you might expect and trying to relate US coins, foreign coins and denominations to anything worthwhile is a big effort, BUT, because of the uniqueness of the matte proofs which were issued only between 1909 and 1916 I was able to get some numbers. They do report by grade but it seems like they are either all RED or all REDBROWN proofs depending on the year. I'll list what they show for each of the nine coins.

1909VDB 6
1909 12
1910 14
1911 16
1912 17
1913 13
1914 11
1915 7
1916 5

Total 101

Obviously, these numbers are subject to change or revision but my guess is that 95% of them are no longer in ICG holders.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some from the Heritage Archives

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, Bob. ICG apparently assigned a grade of "1" to those coins which were cleaned or given a "detail" grade. Those dates with a "1" grade per their pop report are:

1910---1
    1911---1
    1912---3
    1913---1

Steveimage
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    I think all of the MPL's Population reports are worthless. No one knows how many were broken out and resubitted over and over.
    Collector
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think all of the MPL's Population reports are worthless. No one knows how many were broken out and resubitted over and over. >>

While I agree that the third party MPL population reports are NOT accurate, I do believe they provide some valuable information and certainly are NOT worthless. By tracking the number of coins graded by each TPG by grade we can see how many coins are graded each year by the nine dates in the MPL series. As an example, it is clear to me that with only about 200 of the 1909VDB MPL's graded by all four TPG's since 1986 that coin is very rare and there are only 100 to 150 in existence today that are currently in a PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG holder. If someone owns this coin, and it is RAW or NOT in one of those holders, I believe the market and the hobby will not accept the coin as a legitimate 1909VDB MPL. Of course it must have the three key diagnostics but besides that, any potential buyer would most likely be skepical of it simply because it is NOT in at TPG holder.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone owns this coin, and it is RAW or NOT in one of those holders, I believe the market and the hobby will not accept the coin as a legitimate 1909VDB MPL. Of course it must have the three key diagnostics but besides that, any potential buyer would most likely be skepical of it simply because it is NOT in at TPG holder.
    Steveimage >>

Call me crazy, but I would. I've seen enough of them and studied mine at length and as long as it had the chops and I thought it could grade, well, I'd buy it. Well, at a discount, of course image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and thanks Steve. While the reports are subject to scrutiny, I still think this is a valuable service you perform.