Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

May 30th, 1982

Thirty years ago today in a Sunday afternoon game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Baltimore Orioles, after sitting out the 2nd game of a doubleheader the day prior, Cal Ripken Jr. played in game 1 of what turned out to be a 2632 Consecutive Game Streak..................

One of the better items in my collection are copies of the lineup cards from that contest (actually the Blue Jays one is the original):

Streak Starting Article

IMF
Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Very cool piece of history there! Do you have it framed anywhere? That'd make one heck of a conversation piece.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool piece of history there! Do you have it framed anywhere? That'd make one heck of a conversation piece. >>

I have it currently on loan to the Babe Ruth/Sports Legends Museum in Baltimore.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That is a really cool piece of memorabilia. Thanks for sharing.

Where do you buy something like that out of curiosity?

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty freaking cool.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Wow - that's very cool, as well. An item like that needs to be enjoyed, and it sounds like you've found a worthy home for it.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff

<< <i>That is a really cool piece of memorabilia. Thanks for sharing.

Where do you buy something like that out of curiosity? >>

Over the years, I've turned over many stones......It was originally sourced from a local college professor who back in the day after school let out, hung out with the umpires @ Memorial Stadium and ran errands for them, etc. and in exchange all he asked for was that games lineup card....he had 100's of them.........(now I do......)

IMF
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    IMF ... how many games did Cal play in before he took off the 2nd game of that Double Header?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>IMF ... how many games did Cal play in before he took off the 2nd game of that Double Header? >>

career wise about 60; in 1982 about 37

IMF
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    What an incredibly cool piece of history. What are the odds of that lineup card even being kept much less being able to pick it up?

Totally cool...thanks for sharing
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Side note: Hard to imagine a time when Cal Ripken, JR was hitting 8th in the lineup!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection

<< <i>Side note: Hard to imagine a time when Cal Ripken, JR was hitting 8th in the lineup! >>

entering that game, he was hitting a robust .222

IMF
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a really cool piece of memorabilia. Thanks for sharing.

Where do you buy something like that out of curiosity? >>

Over the years, I've turned over many stones......It was originally sourced from a local college professor who back in the day after school let out, hung out with the umpires @ Memorial Stadium and ran errands for them, etc. and in exchange all he asked for was that games lineup card....he had 100's of them.........(now I do......)

IMF >>

Sometimes the stories associated with acquiring such pieces is almost as interesting as the piece itself. That is a good story behind the acquisition for sure.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

<< <i>Sometimes the stories associated with acquiring such pieces is almost as interesting as the piece itself. That is a good story behind the acquisition for sure. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Neat bit of info. The Elias Sports Bureau reported today that you'd have to combined 41 longest active consecutive game streaks to get to Ripkens number...

INSANE!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my doubts about Ripken being 100% "Clean" towards the later part of his playing days but that dont mean anything because regardless of what I think I respect him for having the ethic to be out there every day unlike these modern day cowards that are scratched so often because of bumps and bruises.

Awesome piece of history you got there!
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece of history!

If I remember correctly, wasn't Cal beaned in the head early in his rookie season?
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

<< <i>Cool piece of history! If I remember correctly, wasn't Cal beaned in the head early in his rookie season? >>

Yes ... May 3, 1982
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Cool piece of history!

If I remember correctly, wasn't Cal beaned in the head early in his rookie season? >>

Yes, he did.........

It did this damage to his batting helmet....

The cool thing with both these pictures was that Cal asked to make scans of them for himself prior to signing them...

IMF
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    So whenever you're ready to open up a Ripken Museum, I'll be the first one at the door! You could certainly charge admission to walk through your collection. image
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    If the managers signed their own card you've got 2 HOF'ers autos. One in now- one going in soon.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball