Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Rare Bowling Memorabilia - Best Place to Sell?

Here's an interesting question to propose to my fellow PSA members:

What is the best way to sell a 1960 Autographed Photo of Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial, Yogi Berra and bowling HOF member Don Carter? It was taken at the 1960 Brunswick Bowling Proprietors Convention in Chicago, IL. (Mantle, Musial and Berra all owned bowling alleys in that era). I know it is authentic because I got it from an ex employee from Mickey Mantle Lanes in Dallas but was wondering if I should spend the money to have it authenticated by PSA.

Also have an original 1930 AP Press Photo of Babe Ruth bowling in New York.

There are also dozens of other rare museum quality one of a kind pieces that date back as far as 1908 including gold medals, HOF autographed items, etc.

If this stuff was baseball memorabilia I would be so, so rich but since it's not, I'm trying to gather ideas about where to consign it so that it brings top dollar in a competitive marketplace.

Suggestions?

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    No idea. Don Carter autographs to bring much money, and I'm not sure any baseball collectors would be willing to pony up any premium for a photo with him...perhaps for the novelty.

The Babe Ruth photo may bring a few hundred in an auction house, depending on the size, condition, quality, etc.

Not sure where there is a market for bowling memorabilia, unfortunately.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also have an original 1930 AP Press Photo of Babe Ruth bowling in New York. >>

Can you post a pic of this on here? Is it him duckpin bowling, or regular ten-pin bowling?

My Dad has this photo of Babe Ruth duckpin bowling... most people don't even know what Duckpin Bowling is:

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also have an original 1930 AP Press Photo of Babe Ruth bowling in New York. >>

Can you post a pic of this on here? Is it him duckpin bowling, or regular ten-pin bowling?

My Dad has this photo of Babe Ruth duckpin bowling... most people don't even know what Duckpin Bowling is:

image >>

Jeff, since the Ruth picture was taken in NY, I'm sure it was bowling (now if it had been taken in Baltimore, it might have been Duckpin Bowling).

My suggestion would be to contact JP or Dan @ Memory Lane Auctions in California & get their opinion.....As part of the consignment fee, they would have the items authenticated.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I used to go duckpin bowling at a place about 30 minutes north of Milwaukee. It was a great time and I was bummed when the place converted to traditional bowling...
  • sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I collect bowling memorabilia. Mostly stuff that just involves pro bowlers. I'll send you a message regarding your stuff. EDIT: Your PM's are turned off, so send me a message sometime with the other things you have that are bowling related. Thanks.
  • bowlaramabowlarama Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies about where to consign the merchandise. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in being notified when the bowling memorabilia gets scheduled for sale, send me a PM and I will start a list.

My PM is now activated.

The Babe Ruth photo was from regulation bowling lanes.

• << <i>

The Babe Ruth photo was from regulation bowling lanes. >>

The circumference of a regulation 10 pin bowling ball is 27 inches. Unless Babe's hands were about 20 inches long, it's either duckpin or candlepin bowling.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Babe Ruth photo was from regulation bowling lanes. >>

The circumference of a regulation 10 pin bowling ball is 27 inches. Unless Babe's hands were about 20 inches long, it's either duckpin or candlepin bowling. >>

That pic was from Jeff ... NOT from the OP.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • bowlaramabowlarama Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Well guys after about 60 days of preparation the online auction of vintage bowling memorabilia is finally live on EBay. Currently about 70 premier items with another 20-30 still to be added. tons of vintage autographs, award medallions and other interesting items.

For the baseball fans, there is a vintage lighter from Berra-Rizzuto Lanes in New York, a photo of Babe Ruth bowling plus there is an autographed photo of Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Stan Musial and Pro Bowler Don Carter that was taken at the 1960 Brunswick Bowling Convention.

Lots of interesting stuff. No minimums, No reserves and 10% of the sales proceeds are being donated to the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame in Arlington, Tx.

Follow the link below to check the items out

http://myworld.ebay.com/bowlingcollection/
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    As a life-long bowler and fan, you have some VERY cool stuff there. Thanks for the update.
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps