Home Precious Metals
Options

Official gold stackers

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
We are all just a bunch of posers

The United States Bullion Depository — better known as Fort Knox — is not the largest gold repository in the United States. That distinction belongs to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York in lower Manhattan, where approximately $194 billion worth of the trapezoidal gold bars are stored.

Occasionally, those bars will need to be moved, and gold stackers are the people who do it. Each 27-pound bar has to be moved manually, and the repetitive strain is so significant that they work in teams so shifts can relieve one another.

MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres a story on the history channel that gets into that. there was no mention that more people went in after to do the job. they guy said he loved doing the job as much work as it was at that time image
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Why can't they just bulldoze them like they did in die hard 3? Lol
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing amount of tungsten! image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    It's all painted lead.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>....................

Occasionally, those bars will need to be moved, and gold stackers are the people who do it. Each 27-pound bar has to be moved manually, and the repetitive strain is so significant that they work in teams so shifts can relieve one another.

MJ >>

In itself a sad comment upon the state of society.
    -----
    Portland cement comes in 94 pound bags (at least it did untill recently. Due to inflation it's now 92 point something). My ex (107# herself) used to handle them, mix each with its proportionate amount of sand, gravel, and water and then the helper wheel-barrowed it over to where we were emplacing it. Water alone weighs over 8# per gallon, that's more than 40 pounds in each 5 gallon bucket. It doesn't take Hercules to transport 2.
    -----
    My point is that 27 pounds ain't Jack's first name. Only sandbaggers would gripe about such work and we do not do well to encourage them.
    The OP visits China. I bet he has seen and met a great many folks who would gladly stack 27 pound bars of anything for 12 hours a day and 6 days a week for a trifle as compared to what these officious asses are being compensated for same.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Probably union workers....... getting paid $80 per hour plus benefits. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!