Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Newbie purchase at SCP

While not new to collecting, I am new to the board. I recently got back into collecting after a 19 year hiatus. I sold everything I had in the early '90s before the market turned. My son is 11 and is a baseball nut and he wanted to start, so we started from scratch. I watched the Dmitri Young auction with great interest. Most everything was out of our budget :-). I did buy HIS 1992 UD RC (lot #457) from his collection. While the card may not increase in value much or be worth what I paid, I though it would be an interesting bit of nostalgia. He was a major player in the collecting market for a while. Thanks for letting me be a part of this community and we've had lots of fun finding such great cards that I remember from my youth.

John Hall

PS: Check out some of the cards we have and sets we are working on.

Comments

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    John,

Welcome to the Jungle. The CU members are great to work with and are a great source of knowledge on sports card collecting. Great start on your JH Collection. You are well on your way!!

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Welcome to the boards! We're 70% Cards, 30% Drama, and 0% Boring.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Your story sounds similar to mine. I also got out in the early 90's and got some stuff on the SCP auction
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Hi, Welcome to the boards! We're 70% Cards, 30% Drama, and 0% Boring.

I think he got the numbers mixed up - We're 30% cards and 70% drama but he was correct about being 0% boring. lol

Overall a great group of individuals here. Looking forward to your future post.

Marc
  • dgordodgordo Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Similar story here. I was a big collector in the early 80s to early 90s. I had a table at all the local shows. I ended up selling my entire collection in 1995 minus my sandberg rookies. My son has recently started collecting and he brought me back to the hobby. I bought a bunch of items in the scp auction and have been reacquiring many cards from my younger days. Looking forward to discussing my re-found love for collecting with the board.

http://myworld.ebay.com/dgordo76

My current wish list:

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=952285&enterthread=y

Please pm me if you want to sell any of these cards.

Thanks!

• braves72078braves72078 Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard and welcome to your new addiction!!!