Home Precious Metals
Options

Pawn Stars Silver Bar Deal makes one think..

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Just a little repeat segment on the show regarding 18, 1oz silver bars, of various designs. Guy comes in having over-the-top expectations of their worth. Rick's son says that these are just art bars and that they aren't worth anything special, and he would have to send them off to the refinery to have them melted, - offers spot (what? spot, refinery?). Guy turns it down and leaves thinking they are still worth -gold.

'I'm pretty sure neither side knows much about Silver bars.'

Mades me think more about an emergency situation and are you ever prepared or protected!
Read the coinflation article about the public knowledge of the value of an ASE. Seems like the educated pm bullion market is a tight audience, and needs the system in place to exchange/buy/sell. Wonder how the sell market will be in very tough times or when the dollar falls or SHTF, and who would be out there to buy? Would dealers be able to buy your pms, and with what? Will your local merchant/neighbor have the knowledge-base to even accept PMs for goods? Maybe Rawles is right in that bullets may more be a better medium of local trade in a severe situation..
COA

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Silver has always been seen as common, cheap and readily available. In a SHTF scenario or emergency situation you'd do better with gold, imo.

I am sure not many people know that 1 oz is $28. Probably the same people think that 1 oz of gold is worth $5K. I would be curious to see a survey about this!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my guess is that the tight audience PM bullion market is more likely to survive and thrive in a SHTF scenario, so the ASE and other assorted bullion items will be welcomed (in addition to food, medicine, ammo, etc)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's have a $1denomination. In a SURF scenario, they could be worth just that.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's have a $1denomination. In a SURF scenario, they could be worth just that.

I guess that makes my bags of clad Kennedys worth their weight in real money, whatever that is...image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>ASE's have a $1denomination. In a SURF scenario, they could be worth just that.

I guess that makes my bags of clad Kennedys worth their weight in real money, whatever that is...image >>

In such a scenerio you had better be prepared to encounter opposition from some people to offer more than a dollar. Or, the price for the goods you wish to exchange for your silver will be at grossly inflated prices. If gold and silver are currencies and currencies can be devalued, then you had better be prepared for gold and silver to be devalued.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone, please define SURF for us! (we've heard of SHTF, but SURF is a new one to us)

Personally, I think those dreaming of a day when everyone wants your silver above all else are doing just that, dreaming.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SURF is what happens when your "smartphone" auto-corrects.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SURF is what happens when your "smartphone" auto-corrects.

image >>

LOL, I know the feeling.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    you guys are speaking a different language, out here we SURF

• Options

<< <i>you guys are speaking a different language, out here we SURF >>

You guys all use BING as a search engine out there on the left coast? No wonder California is so screwed up.image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I'd never heard the term SURF until now either. Danged algorithms.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Out here we all (I'll speak for every one of us now, as you indicate) don't notice or care much which brand of little box we type the word into... I liked the pretty pictures on the screen tho

but we're getting way off topic, it's really nice out today as always, gotta go sell some silver bars so I can buy some sunscreen and a sixpack

• Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    The Pawn Stars offer was fair but the seller needs the education.