Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

General Crossover question

nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
Over the past several months I have purchased a few coins in old NGC and ANACS holdered coins that I think have a shot at upgrading or crossing at grade. In particular a $2.5 indian in an older ANACS holder graded 62. The PCGS price guide shows a large jump to a 63 and even grading at a disappointing 61 I'd still be ahead. If sent to PCGS what is thought to be the best bet; to crack out first, to submit with a minimum grade, or to submit in the holder to re-slab at any grade. - Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submitted in the holder it will never be less than a MS62 with cross at grade selected.

Submitted raw and the whole 90 series code group come into play.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If you like to gamble, submit the coins raw. Me, I never crack out for resubmission.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I recently went through the same exercise with an 1894 P Morgan I had that resides in an old ANACS white holder with an AU55 grade. It is really a very nice looking example with no obvious problems. I submitted it with a min grade of AU53 even though it had what I thought were solid AU55 details. It just came back DNC with a notation for cleaning. I still can't find any signs of cleaning, but I'm glad it's still in an ANACS AU55 slab as opposed to a Gennie.
  • Options
    I never send in coins that are still in the other tpg slab. I once sent in a CBH in an icg au53 slab, cracked it out, and came back au58. It was clearly undergraded and I feel pcgs got it right. However, I question if I were to get the same grade had I not sent it in raw.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pros and cons to doing it either way.

As mentioned, sending it in in the original holder for a crossover and you don't risk missing something that would put it in a GENUINE holder that you may not like, nor maybe agree with.
    Send it in raw (ie...crack it out) and the graders can get a clear look at the surface and rims and not have to try to guess through the old plastic that may make it more difficult.

So, it may depend on what you have into the coins, and what you feel your risk level is.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pros and cons to doing it either way.

As mentioned, sending it in in the original holder for a crossover and you don't risk missing something that would put it in a GENUINE holder that you may not like, nor maybe agree with.
    Send it in raw (ie...crack it out) and the graders can get a clear look at the surface and rims and not have to try to guess through the old plastic that may make it more difficult.

So, it may depend on what you have into the coins, and what you feel your risk level is. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file