Home Precious Metals

Selling gold rings with small diamonds

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you are selling gold rings with small diamonds does the gold buyer pop those out or do they just include them in the weight of the gold?

Comments

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I can't speak from the selling side, but as a buyer, it depends on the size of the stones and whether I am planning to resell the ring as scrap or a jewelry piece.

If the stones are very small and the ring is going to be scrapped, I'll pop them out. If the stones are decent size (over 15-20 points), and the ring is in decent enough shape to resell, I'll leave them in place and include them in the total gold weight.

Some folks ask for separate diamond value, but there's really no value in small stones.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    They usually pop them out then weigh the ring.

To save yourself some time and money, pop them out before you take it to sell. Sometimes they don't pop the stones out and subtract a few grams or tenths of grams from the total weight to adjust for stone weight which will end up netting you less $$$.

If the ring is total scrap to being with, you can always pop them out and offer them to a jeweler for a little extra profit.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i heard some dont bother with the diamonds unless there over a 1/3 of a karat. (shrugs) i dunno
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large buyers of gold rings with snmall diamonds don't even consider them in the purchase. Just gold weight.

Usually the diamond has to be at least 20 or 25 points (1/4 of a carat) in size to be counted.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • I Include them in the weight.
    Each carat of diamonds is .2 grams
    Not significant enough to ding me, plus I sell all diamonds, from smaller than a pointer to a 20 carat stone. So it doesnt help me to remove them, before pirchase.