Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wrestling All Stars BGS VS. PSA: Why it is a no brainer!

BGS 8.5 Rocky Johnson

This is supposedly Gem Mint centering. The Rocky Johnson card is one of the toughest in all three sets and he is the Rock Dwayne Johnson's father.

Just another blaring example of why PSA dominates. I have no clue what they are looking at. In all honesty I have bought a few cards where I think they will bump because BGS is so stupid but in most cases you are buying a card that is over graded.

BGS 9 Fredie Blassie

This card would have no chance at a straight PSA 9 and some how they give this a Gem Mint grade for centering. Not even close. I think this card grades a PSA 8 if it is lucky and more likely a PSA 7 with this centering. Yet it is a Pop 1 BGS 9. LOL.

The market for these cards is littered with tons of examples like these. This is why you have to really pick and choose your spots with these cards in BGS holders. Some times you win, most times you lose.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas....WWF tag team champs back in the day....they were no joke!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlas and Johnson

No doubt these guys were awesome!

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Who cares unless the total grade isnt where it should be. Do you think PSA's subgrade system is better??? I prefer grading transparency and a justification of the total grade... Which you get when a grader has to rationalize the end grade by stating the subs. Doesn't mean everyone is correct but neither is any grading company 100% of the time. I find it petty to pick on a subgrade of a card graded 8.5, espcially when you collect PSA and they don't even use them. Anywhow, a better indicator of the quality of the card is the lowest sub. Tell me you don't think that card is a 8.5 but picking at a sub is weak. Also, you'll never convince me PSA is tougher overall on modern. I use PSA for all my vintage but myself and more than a few board members -who will remain silent- have done very well crossing Bgs to Psa.
  • Options
    My cross rate Vlad is less then 30% in or out of the holder. You find something wrong with everything I have to say so quite frankly your opinion is irrelevant to me.

The bottom line is neither of these cards are deserving of the grade and these are just two quick examples of why PSA cards sell for more then BGS almost all of the time.

Since you are such a BGS fan explain how this Fredie Blassie is mint?

• Options
    Kerry Von Erich

Vlad just for you here is a card I won just last night. I put my max in at $300. I would pay $1,000 for a PSA 10 Gem Mint Kerry Von Erich.

The last BGS 9.5 of this card I bought turned into a PSA 8. This one has strong centering and looks nice in the picture but time will tell. If I can get this to cross I win but there is a greater chance it won't and I lose.

I took a chance like I have done many times with BGS cards. If you are serious about putting a set together you can never rule out other grading companies but there is a reason PSA sells for more and no one can dispute that.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You find something wrong with everything I have to say so quite frankly your opinion is irrelevant to me. >>

No, I just find your self serving drivel posts annoying. Do you not think promoting this set by keeping information/updates/q&a to one informative thread would make more sense?

<< <i>these are just two quick examples of why PSA cards sell for more then BGS almost all of the time.

<< <i>

You are picking at subgrades of two cards that are graded 9 and 8.5? I just think that's lame. But to respond to your comment, do BGS 10 cards sell for less than PSA 10 cards?

<< <i>If you are serious about putting a set together you can never rule out other grading companies but there is a reason PSA sells for more and no one can dispute that.

<< <i>

Unless I change my mind and go ahead with competing in the PSA Set Registry Master Set of 'The Ugliest Trading Card Sets Ever Produced' (I'm on a list, they said they might do it) I probably won't be working on this set anytime soon. But you are right, since the 4 other people who are doing this set in PSA prefer the cards in PSA holders that probably would drive demand.

• Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    I think DPeck is one of the few posters on this forum who actually posts about the hobby they love and enjoy. I'm not a fan of wrestling cards, but I still find the information he posts interesting.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way. D is a very positive contributor to this forum and a knowledgable collector. I'm not a wrestling collector either, but his passion for this particular set is inspiring.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    One thing I will say about the Blassie being mint....
    PSA ALSO has many cards they grade as gem mint, mint, nm-mt that have horrible tilt to them. There is no perfect company and people will always have disagreements on accurate grading.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing I will say about the Blassie being mint....
    PSA ALSO has many cards they grade as gem mint, mint, nm-mt that have horrible tilt to them. There is no perfect company and people will always have disagreements on accurate grading. >>

I don't think anyone in the world disagrees with this.

Dpeck is clearly talking about the way BGS grades this specific set versus the way PSA grades it. There is some valuable information here for those who are interested in chasing this set.
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    I agree with bubblebathgirl
  • Options
    The grade looks about right, but the centering I would say is more like an 8.5/9 on the Johnson.

On the Blassie the centering looks good left to right, but from top to bottom it certainly doesn't. Probably more like an 8/8.5 at best.

Seems BGS is harder sometimes on modern cards than the Wrestling All Stars. Maybe just because their inexperience with them. I dunno. I think they look a lot better in PSA slabs anyway.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    It is my theory that BGS is much more liberal on the wrestling all stars than PSA in my experience as well. I cannot offer an opinion on other trading cards because my knowledge base isn't there to back it up, but I do agree with DPeck when it comes to the Wrestling All Stars. As for DPecks posts, I find it like anyone, if it is not of interest to you then simply do not open the thread that DPeck opens or chose not to read his posts. I do like that fact that there are a variety of collectors on the forum and with more varied interests everyone can be a little more educated on trading cards in the hobby. I find your post about DPeck to be a bit harsh when he clearly is excited about his niche and clearly quite successful and generally quite positive. That is my take.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I can say for sure that BGS is more liberal on the Wrestling All Stars than PSA is.

The two points I would make for the sake of the discussion are:

1) BGS does not grade with the same standards they did a few years ago. BGS 9.5 used to equal or exceed PSA 10 standards, especially for modern cards. I believe it is undeniable that that is not the case anymore.
    Since 99.9% of the Wrestling All Stars BGS has graded have been in the past two years, that could be an explanation for the poor crossovers.

2) The difference between disagreeing with a PSA grade and disagreeing with a BGS grade is that BGS puts their grades for each category on the holder. WHile I might be mad that my card only received a PSA 8, I don't really have any objective means of arguing the specifics of the grade and have to speculate why THEY thought it got that grade. With BGS, I can look at a card that they gave a centering grade of 9.5 GEM MINT and see that it measured 75/25 top to bottom, and assume that this contributed to the overall grade in a way it should not have. It is much easier to argue specifics than it is to disagree with generalities. I would think having subgrades would make the process more clear, but often with BGS (especially of late) it seems to have the opposite effect.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You find something wrong with everything I have to say so quite frankly your opinion is irrelevant to me. >>

No, I just find your self serving drivel posts annoying. Do you not think promoting this set by keeping information/updates/q&a to one informative thread would make more sense?

<< <i>these are just two quick examples of why PSA cards sell for more then BGS almost all of the time.

<< <i>

You are picking at subgrades of two cards that are graded 9 and 8.5? I just think that's lame. But to respond to your comment, do BGS 10 cards sell for less than PSA 10 cards?

<< <i>If you are serious about putting a set together you can never rule out other grading companies but there is a reason PSA sells for more and no one can dispute that.

<< <i>

Unless I change my mind and go ahead with competing in the PSA Set Registry Master Set of 'The Ugliest Trading Card Sets Ever Produced' (I'm on a list, they said they might do it) I probably won't be working on this set anytime soon. But you are right, since the 4 other people who are doing this set in PSA prefer the cards in PSA holders that probably would drive demand. >>

Dude, seriously? You sound like a crotchety old coot. No one wants posts like this here. No one enjoys this garbage that you are posting. Dpeck100 is a valued member here and you attacking him for no good reason shows what kind of person you are. You wanna talk about drivel, read your own posts.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Dude, seriously? You sound like a crotchety old coot. No one wants posts like this here. No one enjoys this garbage that you are posting. Dpeck100 is a valued member here and you attacking him for no good reason shows what kind of person you are. You wanna talk about drivel, read your own posts. >>

+1 on the Dpeck comments; no comment on the rest.

Do I have any interest in the Wrestling set(s)? No, not really. Do I have an interest in reading about the interests/passions/obsessions of fellow collectors? You bet - it's the #1 reason I check in here.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    BGS 9's Blassie and Capt Lou going down tonight. Getting some nice action. Those ones must be even tougher in PSA.
  • Options

Here is my PSA 9 Fredie Blassie. I think it is fair to say that yes they are more tough in a PSA holder.

• Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Blassie and Albano have to be some of the sleepers in the set. Yellow borders main issues with them.
  • Options
    Yes they are. The Blassie PSA 9 is a Pop 1 and so is this PSA 10 Albano.

I won the BGS 9 Albano and will check it out.

• Options
    BGS 8 Andre

BGS 8.5 Hogan

I am not sure if two cards makes a trend but it appears BGS has adopted PSA's viewpoint on centering. Both the of the sub grades for these cards are much lower for centering then other cards in a BGS slab with similar attributes. In every other case I have seen they simply ignore the top to bottom centering. In this case they didn't.

The Andre got a 7.5 and generally BGS would have given this a 9.5. The Hogan got an 8 and once again this would have generally gotten a 9.5.

This will be something to watch going forward.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is that of the sets and cards that I follow, I see the price gap between BGS 9.5 and PSA 10 widening. There was a time several years ago where certain modern cards would get approximately the same price in either grade. Those days are gone and the price gap seems to be widening.

If you are an Executive at Beckett and you have some good Analysts, then you are aware of this. But I'd expect their reaction to be to loosen grading guidelines in an attempt to draw in more business. Instead, in the limited examples I've seen recently, maybe they are tightening standards. I think that once you set a grading standard the BEST thing is to stick to that standard and not deviate in either direction. But Beckett is having their a$$ handed to them in the marketplace and they will keep changing things as long as they are in 2nd place, in an attempt to find the perfect "formula" that the market prefers. Kudos to them if they've decided to move toward more strict, than less strict, on centering etc.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    There was a thread a few days back that was active that discussed the spread between PSA graded cards and BGS graded cards. It is really not debatable at this point in most cases that PSA graded prices are drastically higher across the board. There are a few select examples where this does not apply but that number continues to get smaller too.

It has been a while but this topic was discussed and I did a breakdown on the potential revenue decline that Beckett has faced with their magazine sales falling by over 75% from where they were just nine years ago. I think one of the causes for their breakdown was a loosening of standards once PSA began to crush them in overall submissions rates. I have routinely used the data point of 85% market share for PSA and I would not reference that if I did not have an accurate source. That number perhaps has grown since then but certainly has not fallen. BGS had around a 10% share of the market at that time, SGC was 3% and other grading companies made up the remainder. This gap in market share is huge and I personally think the desparity of prices feeds on itself.

The first graded cards I ever purchased were BGS graded Roger Clemens and Ken Griffey Jr. cards in the 2005 to 2006 time frame. Periodically I would check the prices of the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. and I began to see that PSA graded examples were selling for more. I realize the BGS 10 does indeed sell for much greater then the PSA 10. This was the start of the demise of BGS in my opinion.

When I first puchased graded Wrestling All Stars I really had no allegiance to either company. Once I got to the point of submitting cards myself I did a search of closed prices on EBAY of baseball, basketball and hockey cards and it instantly became clear which third party grader had higher selling prices and market share and I chose PSA. This did not keep me from buying BGS graded cards initially but overtime as I built out my sets and needed cards that could crossover I became much more critical of BGS graded cards.

I am not sure what BGS can do at this point to turn around the ship. It is hard to change the rules in the middle of the game per say and increase the strictness of your standards but it may turn out to be a wise move if they try it. If this leads to higher selling prices it may lead to more submissions. It is hard to tell.

I think one of the greatest examples of the imbalances in prices is the 1993 SP Derek Jeter. Using recent sales on EBAY a BGS 9.5 has averaged $1,889. The PSA 10 in the SCP auction went for over $24,000. Over 12 times as much.
  • Options

<< <i>
    BGS 8.5 Hogan
    The Hogan got an 8 and once again this would have generally gotten a 9.5.

This will be something to watch going forward. >>

The Hogan looks way O/C top/bottom to get more than a PSA 7, possibly an 8.

By the way, Thanks for your posts. While I don't collect wrestling, I find the information very interesting.
    Actually, based on your enthusiasm, I did buy a box of 87 OPC to rip on a rainy day.
  • Options
    Thank you.

I think a grade of an 8 is fair for centering as the left to right centering is very strong. That being said it is certainly not Gem Mint.

If you decide to rip the OPC good luck with finding a nice Bret Hart. There are no PSA 10's from the Topps or OPC and while I don't see this being a huge card the first one would do fairly well and perhaps clear $100.

• Options
    What I noticed about those BGS graded Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan cards that DPeck linked is that the Top/Bottom borders are much much smaller than the Top/Bottom borders of the PSA cards shown in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO this Beckett Hogan would get a PSA 7 at best as T/B centering falls between the 70/30 to 75/25 guidelines:

image >>

WOW! Really!!!!

Unbelievable!
  • Options
    Maurice there are various sizes from the 1982 A and these may be the smaller one's. I am not an expert on determining card trimming but I can verify they come straight from the sealed pack this way.

The 1982 B if they are short are indeed trimmed.

The 1983 set all of the cards are the large one's and measure 1/8 of an inch larger then a standard trading card.

PSA has started kicking back the shorter version for MIN SIZE REQ and I was stunned when I got two that rejected for this as I have others that are the same size.

In terms of the cards referenced what makes it so much tougher to get the high grades from PSA is that many of these cards come with terrible top to bottom centering and PSA has always been tough on that.

Here is a nice Hogan.

1982 PSA 9 Hulk Hogan
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    The constant bashing of BGS is getting a bit tired and one-note-- and it ignores the entire modern market.
  • Options
    Matty you seem like a bright guy. When a company looses as much market share as BGS has it sends a message.

There was a time when they were essentially winning the race and have since lost at least 35 percentage points of market share or more to their direct competitor.

A few people on a message board did not make that happen.

If this was a public company people would be calling for them to go out of business.

Personally I think having more then one choice is good but it doesn't change the facts of what has happened.

In terms of the modern market I did a search some time ago and I believe BGS has a greater market share but from others comments it appears that is shrinking too.

At the end of the day most get cards graded for the enhancement in value and liqudity and clearly PSA's value proposition is intact.

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Dpeck,

I get that, in general, PSA cards sell for higher prices than BGS cards of equivalent grade. As a collector primarily of vintage baseball, my collection is comprised mostly of PSA cards.

But I also know that there are many people out there who have beloved collections in BGS holders. I personally just don't see the TPG landscape as a zero-sum, winner-take-all competition that should be viewed solely through the prism of things like market share and value propositions.

I think there is room in the industry for both companies, in addition to SGC, and clearly when it comes to BGS and PSA they each have more or less staked out their own territory. For certain cards, such as the Wrestling All Stars about which you are so passionate and experienced, I have no doubt PSA (and in large part the Registry) make PSA a better choice-- especially in terms of realized value.

But many other collectors whose opinions I respect choose BGS for their cards and are happy with that choice. Especially for modern, where BGS parses things to a finer degree with the use of subgrades; when talking about cards not plagued by factory quality control issues I believe a card should be graded the way BGS does it.

In the end I just think that when reading things like 'PSA dominates,' and prognostications that seem to indicate BGS is a doomed company, were I a BGS collector that would really be raining on my parade-- when in fact the prices realized for many seminal BGS cards (Jordan Stars, Jordan Fleer RC in BGS 10, modern autos) are incredibly robust.

I also believe, as discussed in another thread, that it is specious logic to compare a PSA 9 to a BGS 9, because they are essentially different languages. BGS cards can be low end or very high end for the grade, depending on subs, and this is a double-edged sword. When a BGS card has subs below its overall grade, it will sell for much less than the PSA counterpart. But when the subs are all the same or even higher than the overall grade, such a card-- especially in the modern space-- will usually be closer to or even greater than its PSA counterpart.

In the end, as a collector, I think it should be all a personal/subjective choice based on eye appeal of the actual card in question to the buyer/collector/beholder-- and less about which plastic tomb, which flip, which company, which grade. After all, we see every company missing the mark on cards here and there, leaving us all going, 'How in heck did that card get that grade?' Be it over or under grading. Ultimately, and this is just my collecting philosophy and thus an opinion worth what I'm charging for it, if one selects cards based solely on the condition of the card itself and buys cards they love, they can never go wrong.

Now when it comes to liquidity and value down the line-- for those collectors concerned with value and resale (and not everyone is, especially when buying to keep til you croak)-- then it might be time to consider questions like, "What slab commands the highest dollar for this particular card?" But truth is, if one scrutinizes the card within the holder hard enough when considering a purchase, it will almost always turn out right. Lots of us know when they see a card that is truly mint or GRADE X, and will get that grade at any company if submitted raw. Sometimes it may take a few subs to find graders who agree, but it usually happens if one is really focused on the card and its quality.

Again, this is just my opinion; I just believe that the card is king, and if the focus is always on the card, the choice of TPG is almost rendered moot.
  • Options
    I certainly do not wish to see BGS go under or SGC for that matter and I certainly do not wish to see collectors who own cards in their slabs suffer if that were to happen.

Personally since I plan on holding my cards for the foreseeable future I determined early on that PSA was the best choice for me. Others may choose BGS.

Business in many ways is a competition and the sales volumes reflect the attitudes of market participants. In my posts I am referencing this and I personally believe this is one of major reasons the gap continues to widen in realized prices.

At this time the market collectively has chosen PSA. This could change perhaps in the future but at this moment in time they dominate. This is not disputable.

I personally would not invest a great deal in BGS graded cards but if you choose to that is great and David Peck's opinion should naturally have no bearing on your decision nor should it have any impact on others.

At this time I still have a handful of expensive cards in BGS holders and I realize there have been many nice cards graded by Beckett. That being said when a company sees their business essentially collapse there has to be some reason behind it and pointing this out is not bashing the company.

Nokia used to dominate the handset market and over the years their market share has declined substantially and the company is a fraction of what it once was. The graded card industry is no different and BGS used to compete head to head with PSA in the number of cards they grade and now they don't. This is just a fact.

• Options

<< <i>Competition is a good thing and I'm sure there will be plenty of it going on as long as there is plenty of money to be made in this industry.

IMO the best move for Becket would be to tighten up their grading standards as it seems PSA has done over the last decade.

As we've seen the '70s really take off as of late and now the 80s are coming up there is plenty of opportunity and incentive for TPGs to evolve so that they can compete at their highest levels.

Things are just getting started. >>

Who cares!!!!
  • Options
    Mil Mascaras

This card just hit EBAY recently and may confirm a trend is in place. BGS gave this example a 6 for centering. I have seen 9.5's with the same centering.

Going forward this is going to be very interesting to track.
  • Options
    PSA 9 OC

BGS 9.5 Andre

I would say the centering is pretty close on both. PSA ranks the Hogan a 7 for centering and BGS ranks the Andre for the equivalent of a 10.

The Andre I would imagine will get some action regardless. Finding one with mint corners is a feat in itself.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    PSA grading is so tough on these cards now.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA grading is so tough on these cards now. >>

Making DPeck's sets all the more unreal!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO this Beckett Hogan would get a PSA 7 at best as T/B centering falls between the 70/30 to 75/25 guidelines:

image >>

WOW! Really!!!!

Unbelievable! >>

They measure centering top of arch to bottom of arch.

• Options
    This might be the best centered yellow card from 82 A I have ever seen top to bottom.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA grading is so tough on these cards now. >>

Making DPeck's sets all the more unreal! >>

Thanks Rob. I still have 2,000 or so raw cards and none are going to grade high. I am tapped out on any cards from the set to submit.

• Options
    The Hogan card has been a little softer for sure in the past few months but especially with the BGS 9.5 examples. The final hammer on this one wasn't very impressive. It will be interesting to see when the next high grade example in a PSA holder hits how it does. I think collectors are hip to the idea that none of the 9.5's have a chance of crossing but in most cases a several grade drop would occur. Check out this copy vs the PSA 8 OC.

9.5 Hogan

8 OC Hogan