'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Not according to this auction result.

Link

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be real, if it is real then it is CCC-537; class 2 coin. Is the coin copper or brass?
  • Options
    Tell us more about Diameter, weight and width, copper or brass. We will try to figure it out.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diameter about 38mm. I only have a postal scale, weight 26g. Looks bronze to me, but I have no way of testing it. Width 2.5mm?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Could be fake but it is still worth to send it to grade since it is a very rare coin. The D should be 39mm, W should be 3.9mm and weight should be 23.1g according to ccc and Duan (SB used those two people's book as guide for Chinese copper coins). Good luck.
  • Options
    For your second question the answer is Yes. That's what I have in my world catalog.
  • Options
    Looks fake to me - graders will send anything back iffy either "questionable authenticity" or just right out "not Genuine".

I send in a real nice junk dollar with a little dark toning on the edge and it came back questionable - there was no doubt it was authentic. I gave it a quick dip and sold it.

-Kev
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and waaay out of my league. My gut tells me it is not real but it seems worth sending it out for authentication. I am suspicious about the thick rims, the metal content, and the general color.
  • Options
    The coin isn't mine. Belongs to a dealer I know who wants me to send it to a certain TPG because I'll be sending some other coins.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting and waaay out of my league. My gut tells me it is not real but it seems worth sending it out for authentication. I am suspicious about the thick rims, the metal content, and the general color. >>

• Options
    Update us with the grading result.
  • Options
    Probably will get the coin out Saturday. In a month or so I'll give an update.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I look forward to it.
  • Options
    001 1909 CHINA HONAN BRASS 20C NOT GENUINE

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear, would have been a neat find.
  • Options
    Oh well.

Thank you for the update.

"Not genuine" is an interesting term. They won't come out and say it's a fake? image
  • Options
    Usually they will say 'questionable authenticity'. Not genuine is as definative as a TPG gets. Now I'll have to let the owner know. Hopefully he didn't pay too much for the coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I suppose that "not genuine" is pretty cut and dry, isn't it?

I hope the conversation with the owner is not too uncomfortable.
  • Options
    When NGC graded "not genuine" it means that they are pretty sure it is fake. I have some real nice looking coin that graded as "not genuine". Maybe I will take the trouble to upload the picture as you guys want to see.
  • Options
    I have had a very very nice 1934 China Junk $1 in UNC come back from NGC as "questionable Authenticity" - It has a black spot of thick toning on the edge of the coin (maybe against a rubber band or something in somebodys collection for years) that was no doubt real. I gave it a dip and sold it.
  • Options
    How do you know it is real for sure? Every seller said their QA coins are real; like this one? It looks real fake to me.

QA
  • Options
    Weight, Diameter, thickness, reeding were all good.

It was obvious that the Questionable Authenticity on my coin was for the thick black tarnish on the top edge of the coin.

Grading services are ALWAYS sending chinese coins back questionable if ANYTHING at all is fishy about it. you know why. fakes fakes fakes fakes coming out of Changs basement

As for the 1914 $1 gold - Offer the guy as much as you are willing to loose. No risk no reward. just remember Chang.