AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
With the Mets:

1992 - 2 Wins 14 losses

1993 - 1 Wins 16 losses

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    And let's not forget the statistic he is best known for:

While with the Mets, from May 6, 1992 to July 24, 1993, he lost 27 consecutive decisions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I actually got a ball signed by Anthony Young when he rehabbed in Orlando in 1995. And after I just got through running my mouth about athletes being surly jackasses, Young was actually a very nice guy.

He also signed a Mets card for me, a Stadium Club card that, on the back, read, "Undeserved Fate". Amaury Telemaco, who was pitching in Orlando at the time, then asked to see studied, studied it, then asked Young "How in the &#@* did they lose so many games for you?" (His incredulity was priceless.) Young just kind of sadly frown and said, matter-of-factly, "Twenty-one unearned runs."

The next spring, I went down to an Astros spring training game down in Kissimmee, and there he was--he even recognized me and said "hi". I was shocked--it made my day, to say the least.

A very nice guy and a class act--my ball is not for sale!
  • Options
    For those years his ERA was 4.17 and 3.77

If you didnt know any better you would have thought his ERA would have eclipsed todd van poppel territory with that record.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Young's W-L record is a classic example of why that stat is absolutely meaningless when evaluating a pitcher's talents. If Young were on even a mediocre team during those seasons instead of the totally inept and pitiful Mets, his record would have been .500 at least.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collected his cards back then! image
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Inspired by this thread, I decided to pick up some AY cards. Here's a couple of refractors--the top one is 65/299 and the autographed card is 13/25

• Options
    Glad i helped inspire some Anthony Young card sales. I didnt think that could be possible. The auto card looks cool
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Young's W-L record is a classic example of why that stat is absolutely meaningless when evaluating a pitcher's talents. If Young were on even a mediocre team during those seasons instead of the totally inept and pitiful Mets, his record would have been .500 at least. >>

Agreed, he is a classic example of a hardluck hurler lol