Home Precious Metals

OT - Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
Just a matter of time before the police start taking large amounts of gold.

Police take cash for no reason.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    American gives you a chance of freedom. We still have to fight for it.

I've heard about this stuff for over 10 years.
    COA
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    been going on for years, usually any cash amount over $10K. Guilty until proven innocent.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    un-frickin-believable. this country is really going down the tubes.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty common with classic or used cars to show up at a private seller's home with cash. For major car shows like the ones they have at Carlisle, PA it's very common to
    pay up in cash, register the car right at the car corral and drive home the same day. Few private sellers are going to accept your check and let you drive away with their car.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Pretty sad. Also what bank do they know of that pays interest anymore ? i dont know of any. image
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take from the interview with the police officer....."you're guilty until proven innocent".

A cop simply doesn't do this on his own. He has orders from his superiors.

Truly sick and unbelievable.

I'm apalled that people aren't screaming in the streets that their Constitutional Rights have just about completely gone.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    They should put THAT on their tourism commercials.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They should put THAT on their tourism commercials. >>

Yeah, I can see it now:

Monetery, Tennessee.....got CASH?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would make me consider a detour around the state if possible.

I recall watching a show a year or so ago concerning similar tactics in another state. I believe it was Louisiana; and concerned the reputation of a certain interstate going through the state. It appears that out of state vehicles were being stopped for lower level infractions, but because of the way the law was written, the vehicle could be impounded. This was happening pretty frequently; the problem was even when the infraction was contested and proven not guilty, the individual could not get the vehicle back. The authorities just refused to release. Other property was also seized and held.

----- kj
    occurs periodically on I-95 in north FL/south GA. Usually involves some intelligence from the point of origin.

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    (A cop simply doesn't do this on his own. He has orders from his superiors.)

Yes, that's why the Cop asked the guy it he had a lot of cash with him. Police are fishing for victims.

Don't take this post the wrong way...... 99.5% of the time I'm a hard core Police supporter!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>un-frickin-believable. this country is really going down the tubes. >>

and its only going to get better errr worse (sorry)
  • What a disgrace that this can happen in this country!
  • rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I hate to be harsh but ultimately it's his own damn fault. He broke Rules 1 & 2 and he's lucky losing his money was all that happened to him.

Rule #1. Never allow law enforcement to search your vehicle (or residence for that matter) without a warrant.
    The Fourth Amendment is there for a reason. To search your car a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) requires either probable cause or your permission. Here's the screw up; if the LEO had probable cause he would not ask permission, he would just search the car. LEO's prey upon law abiding citizens who will think "I have done nothing wrong, why not let him search?" I say make the LEO earn his salary and get a warrant if he wants to look inside my car. This is especially true if you are traveling away from home. They will threaten to get a warrant. Smile and say "Please get it then, I have no pressing engagements." This may piss him off but he's a public servant and if he can't deal with the public then he should choose another line of work.

Rule #2. Never answer any questions from law enforcement that you are not required to.
    The Fifth Amendment is there for a reason.The rationale is the same as above, you may not know what he's fishing for. One of the "trick" questions they may ask is "Were you aware how fast you were going?" You should always answer "Yes." In some locales "No" may get you ticketed for inattention to driving. The way to handle a question is so easy that LA gang-bangers carry little business cards printed up with what to say on them. If asked a question like "Are you carrying large amounts of cash?" Turn the tables and ask the LEO a question. "Am I under investigation for committing a crime?" If he answers "No." Then you ask "Am I free to go?" Unless you have actually committed a crime these are the only things you should say to a LEO. Again this may upset him but see the part above about being a public servant. This is especially true in California where they may ask "Do you have a weapon in the car?" Even if the weapon is being transported in complete compliance with the law, if you answer "yes," you have just given them grounds to conduct what's called an "E Check" of the entire vehicle. So how do you deal with the fact that you do have a weapon in the trunk?" A simple "There is nothing illegal in my car" is sufficient to send you on your way without lying, which you should never do; a crime in itself in some jurisdictions.

You should have seen the video "Don't talk to cops" made by a law school professor but just in case you have not, here it is.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100

• << <i>My take from the interview with the police officer....."you're guilty until proven innocent".

I'm apalled that people aren't screaming in the streets that their Constitutional Rights have just about completely gone. >>

Are you? image
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched that video a year ago. What an eye opener!

When I carry cash above 10k, I carry my withdrawal slip from the bank and my contract with my seller.

There is a newspaper in SoCal ...Riverside something or other that a couple of years ago had on the front page a quote from a nearby town councilman ordering the police and fire depts to look for ways to generate additional revenue. Right there in a public forum at a city council meeting. We just boycott this town. Currently it is circling the drain. Ever heard of COLTON, CA? No? You're not alone.

Have a nice day
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My take from the interview with the police officer....."you're guilty until proven innocent".

I'm apalled that people aren't screaming in the streets that their Constitutional Rights have just about completely gone. >>

Are you? image >>

I'm not an American.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>My take from the interview with the police officer....."you're guilty until proven innocent".

Are you? image >>

I'm not an American. >>

Oh !

<< <i>So, the man was detained and the money held by authorities while his suspicious possession of a dozen or more rolls of cash was investigated?

Does the follow up story indicate that his story checked out and he got his money back and went on his way with it? >>

I think you got it backwards. Carrying cash in any amount is legal. He doesn't need to have a "story" that "checks out." The burden is on the police to prove he is doing something wrong. In a free country, there's a presumption of innocence -- not a presumption of guilt that needs to be rebutted by the accused. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be. Seems some people have forgotten that.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
    current law allows law enforcement to confiscate cash when it exceeds $10K. Holder of cash has to prove cash is legitimate. Guilty until proven innocent.

Keep in mind that your children are potential terrorists until they have been legally fondled by TSA. It's a brave new world out there.

<< <i>

<< <i>So, the man was detained and the money held by authorities while his suspicious possession of a dozen or more rolls of cash was investigated?

Does the follow up story indicate that his story checked out and he got his money back and went on his way with it? >>

I think you got it backwards. Carrying cash in any amount is legal. He doesn't need to have a "story" that "checks out." The burden is on the police to prove he is doing something wrong. In a free country, there's a presumption of innocence -- not a presumption of guilt that needs to be rebutted by the accused. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be. Seems some people have forgotten that. >>

Ummm... well, that's the way it used to be, and the way it is supposed to be. But it is not any more. For instance, the Patriot Act. Individuals can now 'disappear' with little or no recourse. In the above example, I suspect that even if his story checked out, and he was not guilty of anything, he probably will have a difficult time getting his money back. They may even still consider it 'evidence'. Who is going to 'force' the police to give back the money if they want to drag their feet and just ignore any requests to do so? The person may have to hire an attorney to force it, which will take time and money.

"In a free country, there's a presumption of innocence -- not a presumption of guilt that needs to be rebutted by the accused." If there is no longer a reliable presumption of innocence in actuality, perhaps our country is no longer as free as we like to think.
    ----- kj
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Been going on a long time, and will only get worse. Who but the criminal uses cash at all?
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Its seeming clear now that they are targeting drug runners on purpose, for the cash.
    Its a 'legal shakedown' of getting their share, period. Seems very profitable and what they are purposely going after.
    Use our state to transport, pay the fee! Must be ripe pickings... I thought the delaware highway toll was high.
    This one's a doozy! lol

Likely no one cares if its nabbing real drug money (except the druggie), but when it takes money from honest citizens, then
    its outrageous. So, if I carried 10k in silver, it could get nabbed..... ? They must have some idea or profile on who to pull over.

Guess if this guy in question had a flag on his record for drugs, even a long time ago, the cash made it look suspicious.
    They can just run plates until they get a likely suspect passing by, then pull them over.

The aggressiveness of this venture shows that they'll be no concern for an honest citizen - cash is cash, and they
    are in competion to take it. I guess everyone in the chain gets a piece of it too. So much for the integrity issue..
    COA

<< <i>current law allows law enforcement to confiscate cash when it exceeds $10K. Holder of cash has to prove cash is legitimate. >>

I'm a lawyer and I've never heard of that, nor did I find any such law when I searched for it on google. There are certainly reporting (paperwork) requirements triggered at $10,000 -- if you buy something for cash or take it out of the country -- but that's different than what you're describing. What specific law are you talking about?

<< <i>

<< <i>current law allows law enforcement to confiscate cash when it exceeds $10K. Holder of cash has to prove cash is legitimate. >>

I'm a lawyer and I've never heard of that, nor did I find any such law when I searched for it on google. There are certainly reporting (paperwork) requirements triggered at $10,000 -- if you buy something for cash or take it out of the country -- but that's different than what you're describing. What specific law are you talking about? >>

The law of "suspicious behavior" and how it is being interpreted by police and upheld by courts. The $10K I quoted is a guideline applied by many LE agencies because of the $10K cash reporting requirements in place. Expand your search to include "civil asset forfeiture."

Civil forfeiture is usually used for drug-law enforcement, but increasingly it is used for other laws, such as prostitution, shoplifting, or even legal activities. The government only has to suspect that the property is being used in connection with some activity that is either illegal or claimed to be illegal. The government sues the property, not the owner, and it is then up to the former owner to prove that the property was not used illegally. The former owner has to pay a nonrefundable bond of 10 percent of the value of the property and pay attorney fees. And if the government thinks the money you use to pay your lawyer is also tainted, it can seize that too, so it becomes impossible to hire a lawyer. What makes matters worse it that research show a large percentage of paper currency actually carries cocaine residue.

The police can get away with this because 80 percent of the seizure victims are never charged with a crime, and the seizure victims do not have the constitutional protection that criminal defendants have.

Besides, it's just un-American to carry large amounts of cash. It should be on deposit in TBTF banks. image

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Google civil asset forfeiture to get rid of that cricket problem.

And $10k is high, by today's standards.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything's breaking down.

Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Not hand-wringing, nail-biting, worrying, and whining, those are going strong >>

Yeh, guess your're right. Hasn't happened to me, so it's not a problem or a concern. Now I'm going to go back to looking up my TV schedule to see when the next Dancing With the Stars is going to be on. Carry on.... all is well.
    ----- kj
    image..... !!!
    ----- kj

<< <i>Everything is breaking down! we've lost ALL of our Liberty! >>

Just a little bit at a time. That way the naive won't notice. image

• Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    This has been going on for YEARS in PA along with EVERY other state in the union. Dont be fooled and this this won't happen in your state cause it DOES and will continue. ..
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler