Home Precious Metals

Silver mint sets, what to do?

My friends sdb is full image and he has 100+ Kennedy and Franklin, proof and mint sets taking up a lot of room.

Most of them were purchased under melt when silver was $15-$18.

No cameo's or dd's, just silver.

Would you put them in tubes, get another sdb, or something else?

What would you do with the cents and nickels if the silver was put in tubes?

Dang, with silver at $28 maybe I should buy some. image

Comments

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I think its something to address over time. Have the same deal, so the mint sets are not in the sdb. Don't get another sdb unless still needed after doing something w the mint sets.

Take No Loss! Never take a Loss when you are in control, and can wait for a gain!!!. Selling off the silver 'pieces' when silver is low is not wise in this case (because of space alone).
    He should not sell, but if you can buy, now is a good time. But I wouldn't spend my money on a mint set, and would buy silver bullion instead. Now if a set is more highly sout after or
    popular maybe, or exceptional deal, but I'd buy the silver directly (in this case).

Not fully clear of details of what he exactly has, separate silver or -only mint sets. The mint sets 'can sell' for about the same price now or if silver goes up, so could start selling "some" off.

People sell the sets or break them up for more money. If one wanted to go through the big process of breaking up mint sets and selling the pieces one by one, you get a lot more $ of course, but its a lot! of work and selling. Is that worth it to the individual? Ebay is selling thousands of such individual pieces at any time for a price comparsion. Its as much work as owning a store or business and doing it every day. I'd have to be retired to have that much time, or make it my part time business. Ebay sells every peice for a profit, pennies and nickels (just a lot of work)

If space is absolutely critical, some can be broken up and stored in tubes, but only do if planning to sell separately later, and only what is needed for space. I wouldn't break up any set I wasn't planning to sell right away. The set value is still likely higher then just the individual pieces if just being stored.
    COA
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he should take the lincoln pennies , smear them with rasberry poptart filling and sell them on ebay. Monster toned, Neon , or Electric anywhere in the title will guarantee they sell for $50 each.

I'm not positive but , I believe blue nickles were HOT for awhile , they make a poptart for that too. image

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put everything in tubes. He can sell off the non-precious proof coins in mixed-date rolls on ebay if he chooses (they do sell). The proof 90% usually carries a premium when sold, and they are easily liquidated at any time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I have a similar question if nobody minds me jumping into this post. I recently picked up proof sets from 1959-1964. The 1960 Nickle looks really purdy. Nice toning in there. Worth getting slabbed?
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics