Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Heritage Auctions, bad customer service

Just got off the phone with CS at Heritage Auctions, I get a different story every time I call. I'm still waiting for shipping info/tracking number for a couple of lots that were paid for two weeks ago. They say they have 7-14 days to ship after receiving payment to ship items out, tomorrow is day 14. Was told it was going to ship early last week, now today they said soon. Never had this kind of an issue with them before, but no other auction house waits this long to ship items. ML, REA, and SCP get the items right out, why is it so hard for Heritage all of a sudden?
From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
~WalterSobchak

Comments

• Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 826 ✭✭✭
    Heritage makes it clear time after time they are more interested in their own interests vs. customer's or consignors.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I will second this. My one dealing with Heritage a few years ago was a bad one, and it also involved shipping. I have not bid on their stuff since.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Heritage is slow w/ shipping. See this link from another board (starting w/ Post #36): Link
  • Options

I won two items in the last Heritaqe auction. Last time I'll ever bid in a Heritage auction.

They claim I didn't supply eCheck information (I did on May 7th) but they have my credit card (which I supplied the same time as the eCheck info).

Never again.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I won a raw Bird Magic RC form them and never got it or a refund! Also won a Jordan 88 PSA 10 and when I got it the case was cracked so I asked for a refund and they refused. Not a big fan.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won a raw Bird Magic RC form them and never got it or a refund! Also won a Jordan 88 PSA 10 and when I got it the case was cracked so I asked for a refund and they refused. Not a big fan. >>

I hope you disputed everything with your credit card company.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I paid for my item on 5/7 (paypal), and received it on 5/12.

Just sayin'.
    Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I won a raw Bird Magic RC form them and never got it or a refund! Also won a Jordan 88 PSA 10 and when I got it the case was cracked so I asked for a refund and they refused. Not a big fan. >>

I hope you disputed everything with your credit card company. >>

No it was a few years ago, just decided not to do business with them anymore.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Bump for bad customer service. This needs to stay on page one so people don't get tempted to bid in their next auction.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Mailed my check to them 18 days ago for 2 lots.
    Still have heard nothing and still have received nothing.

How do people this incompetent manage to stay in business?
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Ok, it is clear I am not alone.

They also played the echeck problem game with me. I followed that up with an immediate bank wire. Still dragged it out and then... what they sent was innaccurate. I'm not even wasting the time to review their raw set grading. At first blush it looks 75-80% 80/20 or worse centering. Bad experience...NEVER AGAIN!!

ADD ME TO THE HERITAGE NEVER AGAIN CLUB...lol
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    WOW, this is like the third or fourth thread I have seen on this board and another regarding Heritage's poor service.
  • Options
    I sent them a bank wire on the 9th, the funds were out of my account within hours. I made three calls to them over the last few weeks asking for and not receiving tracking info. I called them again Tuesday with a different tone, they told me their policy is to wait 7 days after a wire transfer to make sure the funds are secure. I don't even think Ebay or Paypal would ever come up with a 100% total BS response like that. Make sure everyone updates this thread with where they are with getting either getting their items or in Cuse's case dealing with a return (if he asks for it) and to board member bxb, they do not take (none of the auction houses do) credit cards or Paypal, so I don't see how you were able to pay and receive your items within a few days.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Heritage accepts paypal. In the past they accepted paypal on invoices up to 10k but they lowered it to a 2.5k maximum for the most recent auction.

Sterling and Baggers also accept paypal.

SportsCardLink accepts credit cards.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Actually I think Heritage is one of the few auction houses that does take credit cards. The exception is if you have a reseller license so you don't have to pay sales tax for CA or TX residents, then you cannot use a credit card.
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I paid on 5/10. Haven't heard a word. Sent an email yesterday, with no response yet.....
  • Options
    I just checked their site, I don't see credit cards or Paypal as a payment option. They might take both for winnings in their weekly Sunday auctions though. I wish I had paid with Paypal or a credit card, they might be a little quicker to ship if their money was in danger of being frozen.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    sounds to me as a company there almost broke,, cruse over here(big auto auction place in Indiana) was doing the same thing paying people from there last sale with their present sales receipts,, man were people getting pee'ed off, there has to be a story on google about it, im just to lazy to look right now.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    and to board member bxb, they do not take (none of the auction houses do) credit cards or Paypal, so I don't see how you were able to pay and receive your items within a few days. >>

I think the answer is this:

I have been a client of Heritage for 20+ years, and I have an open account with them which means they ship my items without waiting for payment, so that is probably why I got it so fast.

They are a very big well-respected company that specializes in coin sales, and then in recent years branched off into other areas, including sports, antiques, fine art, etc.

It looks like the Sports Memorabilia section may have some customer service issues to iron out, although I can't tell if everyone's bad experience on this thread represents a minority or not (i.e. maybe the happy majority is silent). After all they deal with thousands of clients and maybe 5-10 or so on this thread are unhappy?

Not trying to defend them, just sayin'

Capecards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you have this many serios complaints from multiple board members the problem is with the auction house not a minority of dissatisfied buyers. Inexcusable and lame on their part. I would never deal with a company like that either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I live relatively close to HA so I have the luxury of just going to pick my stuff up in person. Their facilities are top notch (at least the areas I get to see) Usually have my auction winnings the next day. The only downside for me is having to pay sales tax

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    CumberlandCumberland Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Heritage is painfully slow. I made the mistake of paying with PayPal last month, thinking I'd get my cards quicker. Nope, after I emailed a complaint, I received my cards two weeks after payment. Currently, I'm waiting for cards from the past two auctions. I'd like to bid on more cards on Sunday but now I'm thinking I'm better off spending my money elsewhere.
  • Options

Finally got a "Your Order has Shipped" e-mail today. About time! image

Glory freaking hallelujah!
    Looks like it's possible that I may get my stuff in just under a month after all.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like bigger problems are on the horizon. I'd stay away. Someone could get seriously ripped off. I remember hearing about the former biggest boy of them all in sports cards started these same business practices and look where they are now. MAS***.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Wow all these complaints have me worried about any future bids.
    I have had 2 previous experiences with them and I got my stuff within a week so I guess I was lucky.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Let me say that the two bad experiences I did have I have had a dozen or so smooth one's but with the ebay bucks and there buyer protection that works pretty good I just chose to stay there.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I can only apologize for the delays you have been experiencing in receiving your material. We are doing everything we can to fix both this and the underlying causes, and I'm told that we released quite a number of items for shipping today.

If you would like more concrete information on your lots, please contact me directly at either 800-872-6467 x1355, or at stewarth@ha.com. I will do everything I can to answer your questions and to expedite your shipping as much as possible.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options

Thank you for the response Stewart.

It's good to hear that you are aware of the problems and are working to fix them.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    Heritage and PSA should merge. 1 can't ship orders out and the other can't enter orders in. Together nothing would ever get done.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Waverlee,
    That actually was funny.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Waverlee,
    That actually was funny. >>

Not funny at all. It was hilarious.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We are doing everything we can to fix both this and the underlying causes,... >>

Stewart, HA is not doing enough, losing existing / future business while showing a complete disregard for anyone but themselves due to opportunistic written policies, dreadful customer service and inaction.
  • Options

<< <i>Not funny at all. It was hilarious. >>

+1
    I also received an email saying my items had been shipped Friday.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Stewart, maybe you can shed some light on your auction rule #21. Sounds alot like your employees can shill bid their own items until satisfied with the result.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Mixed review from me. I have consigned 5 digits worth of cards/balls over the past 2 years, and occasionally some of my items which had bids mysteriously ended up having non-paying bidders at a rate that was ridiculous---maybe 5% of my lots. Items had to be relisted weeks/months later and would then sell, usually for less. Not happy that they always slapped me with fees for JSA certs when I did not want it (already was PSA'd, and I think JSA is weak anyway), but overall---I think they are decent with some iteg ms.

As a buyer, I am increasingly annoyed as well. Shipping--a joke. I got my REA item last week. Heritage just Friday shipped two items from the major auction which I paid within 24 hours. Also, bidding LIVE last year, an item I won (auctioneer said sold, computer said sold) at 3K mysteriously got a late bid and I got rode up to 6K before I won (again). I protested immediately by phone, in writing, pleading for someone to simply review the video, and I was given the major runaround. I am sick realizing now that I could've been run up by an employee or insider who owned the item.

Tough spot as fewer and fewer auction houses seem to be able to do it right...
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

Have to add that my max bids
    on both lots I won were not run up. They could have been, but were not.

So, in my opinion Heritage runs an absolutely honest operation.
    My only problem with them lies in turn around time after receiving payment.

Checks clear almost immediately these days. This isn't the 1970's.
    Federal Express will finally deliver my goods next Friday. That's more like pony express.

Nearly 4 weeks between mailing payment
    and receiving winnings in this day and age is totally unacceptable.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stewart, maybe you can shed some light on your auction rule #21. Sounds alot like your employees can shill bid their own items until satisfied with the result. >>

Sure. This is essentially what it means:

(1) Heritage does consign items that they own to their own auctions. Some of these items have reserves, which are a form of bid.
    (2) Heritage will place bids on lots owned by other consignors if we think that by buying it at that price we can make a profit in the future. These bids are placed strictly as potential buyers, and are without regard to any existing bids on the lot. The part about modifying bids has to do with outside data regarding an item's value, such as the price of gold on some coin lots.
    (3) Many Heritage employees, including myself, are also collectors, and we will place bids on items that we want for our own collections. When I win something, I pay the full hammer price, the full buyer's premium, and Texas sales tax.

And:

(1) Heritage and Heritage employees do not shill bid.
    (2) Heritage does not bid on their own items other than by placing reserves. I will note that owners placing bids on their own items at auction is quite legal; we will identify this when we determine that it is happening on an auction floor.
    (3) Heritage employees are not permitted to bid on their own behalf from the floor at Heritage floor auctions. Heritage employees will only execute bids on behalf of phone, mail, podium, and internet bidders.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Have to add that my max bids on both lots I won were not run up. They could have been, but were not. >>

I will say that Heritage is the only auction house that I trust enough to put a max bid in. I have had several that were not run up. One auction house in particular was at 100% of my max bids hitting my number before I stopped that practice.
    ~WalterSobchak