Home Sports Talk
Options

Manager Mattingly: A Second Stellar Career in the Making?

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
I think Don Mattingly holds the distinction of having had the best player career out of all the current managers by far.

He showed promise as a rookie manager leading the Dodgers to a decent finish after struggling during the season and dealing with the McCourt distraction.

This season, the team is breaking through and off to a tremendous start. I am still not clear if he is the tactician manager or the motivator, or both. LaRussa was a good example of the former, while Lasorda, the latter.

Its rare to see players that were once considered to be the best and HOF-caliber go on to have successful managerial careers. Mattingly may very well pull it off.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the Bryce Harper talk lets give it some more time..
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Don Mattingly holds the distinction of having had the best player career out of all the current managers by far.

He showed promise as a rookie manager leading the Dodgers to a decent finish after struggling during the season and dealing with the McCourt distraction.

This season, the team is breaking through and off to a tremendous start. I am still not clear if he is the tactician manager or the motivator, or both. LaRussa was a good example of the former, while Lasorda, the latter.

Its rare to see players that were once considered to be the best and HOF-caliber go on to have successful managerial careers. Mattingly may very well pull it off. >>

I gotta say I've been holding my breath hoping he can pull off a "Torre"...in other words, have a great playing career backed up by a great managing career. Just like Mattingly, Torre won a Batting Title & MVP, but he had to wait until managing for many years to win his first World Series ring. It's very early...but things are certainly on the right track for Donnie Baseball.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Pinella belongs in this discussion
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Any truth to him wanting to hire Bob Shirley as his pitching coach image
  • Options

<< <i>Pinella belongs in this discussion >>

Indeed.

Fantastic player in his day, and a top notch manager. He is doing some Yankee games on the YES Network this year. Such a great baseball mind, and he's always good for a great old story you've never heard about guys like Munson, Murcer, Martin, Jackson etc....

As for Donnie Baseball, I would love for him to become a successful manager. He's got a lot of catching up to do to get to Pinella, and LaRussa but he's off to a good start.

Little side note... I'm a Yankee Fan until the bitter end, but IMO the Yanks really screwed themselves by screwing Mattingly out of the job in between the '07-'08 seasons. I don't think Mr. Steinbrenner would have allowed it to happen the way it did had he been in good health at the time.

Then The Dodgers made the same "deal" with Torre and Mattingly that The Yankees did, only difference was LA kept their word when the time came. I hope their class toward Mattingly (a pretty classy guy himself) pays dividends for years to come.

Now as Yankee Fans we are stuck with the two bonehead sons, and Joe the Robot.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    +1 Andre sighting.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Steve.

So far, so good for Mattingly. It is almost the middle of the season and the Dodgers are not slowing down.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee