Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA and requesting "No Qualifiers" grading

PSA has the following posted on their FAQ:
"Q: Can I request “No Qualifiers” on my submission?
A: You can make this request and it could mean that the original grade may lower. Also, while you may request no qualifiers on your submission, it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances and no refund will be given if we determine that we can not remove the qualifier."

I just submitted my first cards to PSA and was disappointed to receive back a "NEAR MINT-MINT 8 ST" on one card. I had to look up that ST is a "stain" qualifier (which I have rarely seen). I am thinking about cracking the case and resubmitting. My question is, should I consider submitting this time with a "no qualifiers" instruction? More generally, do you folks believe it generally best practice to submit ALL cards to PSA with a no qualifiers instruction?? Personally, I don't like buying cards that have any qualifiers and I suspect that many feel the same way. I am wondering if I would be be better off receiving a straight 7 than an 8ST or an 8OC, etc. I am also confused by PSA's answer in the above FAQ, which states "...it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances..." I mean, what the heck does that mean? That if I resubmit with a no qualifiers instruction and they determine the stain isn't too bad they might give it a 7, but if they determine the stain is excessively bad then they might give it an 8ST again even though I requested no qualifiers??

Also if I do resubmit, is it always better to crack the case rather than keep it in the case and request a regrade?

Have any of you submitted to PSA with a no qualifiers instruction? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!

In your answer to your question on whether to give instruction for no qualifiers, I think it depends. Given your example of a straight 7 versus 8ST, I would take the 7 if I was building a PSA set on the registry. The reason is that an 8ST carries the same weight as a straight 6 (i.e., 2 grades lower) on the registry - obviously as a registry collector, I would be inclined to take the 7 over the 8ST. The exception to this rule might be a 7 versus a 9ST. Both carry the same weight (9ST weight = 7 weight), but I would be inclined to take the 9ST knowing that my card is otherwise in mint condition but for a stain. If I'm considering buying a card with a straight 7, I wonder the reason for the 7: Is it a touched corner? Is it a stain on the card back? Is the card back off-center? Is it a combo of two or more of these? With the 9ST designation, there is no guesswork.

So, the bottom-line is that you need to consider your audience. Here's generally what I do: If I'm selling the card, and it's not obviously off-center, I do a straight submission (in other words, I'm willing to accept the qualifier). If I'm submitting the card for my registry set, I ask for no qualifiers by putting "NQ" in the "Min Grade" column. If I'm buying for my registry set, I will buy a 9PD or 9ST if the card has decent eye appeal despite the qualifier and I would have otherwise purchased a straight 7 rather than 8 or higher. I don't like OC qualifiers, so I won't buy a card with an OC qualifier unless I'm desperate or I think I can crack it out and re-submit it for a higher straight grade.

As far as PSA saying the qualifier can't always be left off, a miscut card is a good example. If the card is badly miscut such that you see a sliver of another card on it, I'm fairly certain that whether you give instruction for NQ or not, you're likely going to get a "MC" qualifier on your label.

I hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. Since a qualifier kicks the grade down 2 grades in the registry (and very often about 2 grades in terms of resale value), if I can resubmit an 8 ST with an NQ instruction and turn it into a straight 7, then perhaps I've come out one grade ahead of where I started. Of course I don't know that will be the result of the regrade, but since I couldn't even see the stain I am hoping PSA considers it minor enough to make it a 7 (and not a 6 or worse, in which case I would probably be better off sticking with the 8 ST). Am I thinking about this correctly?

Also, it seems that most people who submit regrades always crack the case first so PSA doesn't see the original grade. Does anybody here ever request a regrade and leave the card in the old PSA card?
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for your thoughts. Since a qualifier kicks the grade down 2 grades in the registry (and very often about 2 grades in terms of resale value), if I can resubmit an 8 ST with an NQ instruction and turn it into a straight 7, then perhaps I've come out one grade ahead of where I started. Of course I don't know that will be the result of the regrade, but since I couldn't even see the stain I am hoping PSA considers it minor enough to make it a 7 (and not a 6 or worse, in which case I would probably be better off sticking with the 8 ST). Am I thinking about this correctly?

Also, it seems that most people who submit regrades always crack the case first so PSA doesn't see the original grade. Does anybody here ever request a regrade and leave the card in the old PSA card? >>

Just to add another thought - if the stain appears to be wax residue on the front side, I'm batting 100% with the panty hose trick. Take a pair a women's panty hose (how you acquire them is your own personal business) and use them to rub the residue off the card face.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i> I am also confused by PSA's answer in the above FAQ, which states "...it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances..." I mean, what the heck does that mean? That if I resubmit with a no qualifiers instruction and they determine the stain isn't too bad they might give it a 7, but if they determine the stain is excessively bad then they might give it an 8ST again even though I requested no qualifiers??

>>

On this point - what they mean is that when you say "NQ" they will start marching down the grade until they find one where the card can fit without the qualifier. If they can't find a grade that works (let's say the card is 90/10 OC on the front, which isn't allowed in ANY grade) then they HAVE to put a qualifier on it.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    The only time I've requested no qualifiers, I had a card come back without a grade at all. It was mis-cut, so the qualifier couldn't be removed. I wish I would have at least had the card with a qualifier and encapsulated now. image
  • Options

<< <i>The only time I've requested no qualifiers, I had a card come back without a grade at all. It was mis-cut, so the qualifier couldn't be removed. I wish I would have at least had the card with a qualifier and encapsulated now. image >>

Huh, I thought in that case they were supposed to slab it at the appropriate number grade but with a MC qual.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The only time I've requested no qualifiers, I had a card come back without a grade at all. It was mis-cut, so the qualifier couldn't be removed. I wish I would have at least had the card with a qualifier and encapsulated now. image >>

Huh, I thought in that case they were supposed to slab it at the appropriate number grade but with a MC qual. >>

This is more easily understood if you realize that there are two types of "Miscut." The first is when the cut is atypical, such as when a portion of another card shows on the border. This type of card will be slabbed with an "MC" qualifier.

The second "Miscut" is when the card has an abnormal cut (such as a severe diamond shape) that would keep it from fitting properly inside a PSA slab. Such a card will not be graded, and will be rejected as N-8 Miscut. The grading fees for this card are returned in the form of a voucher.
    Brett
  • Options
    Thank to all of you for your feedback.

Do you recommend that when submitting cards to PSA for regrade that you always crack the case and submit the naked card? As opposed to leaving in the old PSA case and requesting a regrade?
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    For the types of cards we've been discussing here, I would crack them out of the case and then submit them again fresh. If we were talking about taking an expensive card in an 8 or 9 holder to see if they would bump up a grade, I would likely leave them in the case and ask for a review first. The reason is that I would hate to risk cracking out an expensive 8 or 9 holdered card and have it come back a 6 or 7, or worse yet, not get holdered at all due to evidence of trim (EOT) or below Min size. Good luck whatever you do!
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    I have subbed 1000's and 1000's of cards and ALWAYS request no qualifiers. Any MC's just come back raw and "ungraded" with a refund in the form of a voucher. I do this to elim. the OC's and the ST's. fyi - not all ST's come out with nylons, but most wax and gum residue does remove adequately with the hose scrub.