Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Just crossed 80% on my 1970 Topps Baseball...

I slowed down on this one for a while, but caught the bug again this month. The first set I ever collected as a kid, even though I never had ANY high numbers back then . I was the typical kid growing up in a small town, who moved onto football cards by the end of summer.
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    That's good stuff! I love the 70 set, although I was born 10 years after it was released. image My first 1970 card was a vg-ex Al Kaline that my grandmother gave me about 20 years ago.

Justin
  • Options
    Nice job, great set!! Continued success the rest of the way!!
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on 80%. My favorited set since this is the one I collected the most as a kid. I have the following available in PSA 8: 62, 67, 116, 142, 346, 467, 659, and 641 in PSA 9. Drop me a PM if interested.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I slowed down on this one for a while, but caught the bug again this month. The first set I ever collected as a kid, even though I never had ANY high numbers back then . I was the typical kid growing up in a small town, who moved onto football cards by the end of summer. >>

Congrats!

Are you shooting for the tars on this one? There seems to be some super tough competition on this one ... not to mention Mr. Spence himself! >>

Not the stars exactly. I'm sitting at about 7.9 right now, mostly because when I started the set a few years back I got several of the keys graded as 7's from my raw stash. Those are keeping my average down a bit, but since I'll never touch the top rung it's OK for now. My goal is to complete it in 8's and 9's, and that's enough of a chore as it is.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely, completing any of these full company sets of 600 to 700+ cards is crazy to begin with ... and it's HEAVY!!

Keep climbing that ladder, once you get to 90% you'll get those nice free subs from PSA also image >>

Yep, the beauty of team sets have gotten me 5-6 90% vouchers already
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. You guys have some serious determination.
  • Options
    I really wish I could have built this set using "those other guys holders" as the nice black inserts really show these cards off well. But, resale value and the relative scarcity of many low pop cards in those holders would have been a real problem.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really wish I could have built this set using "those other guys holders" as the nice black inserts really show these cards off well. But, resale value and the relative scarcity of many low pop cards in those holders would have been a real problem. >>

It's that dreaded resale value that is a real killer. One of these days I just might build the 1970 set from scratch---preferably all raw---and send all the cards to be slabbed in those "other" holders, resale value be damned! That sure would make for a super-looking group of cards.
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really wish I could have built this set using "those other guys holders" as the nice black inserts really show these cards off well. But, resale value and the relative scarcity of many low pop cards in those holders would have been a real problem. >>

It's that dreaded resale value that is a real killer. One of these days I just might build the 1970 set from scratch---preferably all raw---and send all the cards to be slabbed in those "other" holders, resale value be damned! That sure would make for a super-looking group of cards. >>

Indeed. The gray borders really "op" against the black in the holders. You're not getting those 96's back though....
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I innocently bought a lot of about fifty raw '70 Topps cards from a seller on these boards a few years ago. Didn't really think much of this set at the time; just thought it was a decent deal for the quality of cards he was offering. Once I got them, I was hooked. I love this set now, and have learned quite a bit about it.

I am not going for this set entirely graded (I think my set will have about 180-200 graded cards when it's all said and done), but I definitely recognize what an accomplishment it would be to complete it. Keep it going Bob!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA