Home Sports Talk
Options

How much to go to a MLB game?

royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
I am curious as to what others spend when they go to a MLB game. I assume some spend more than others if you are bringing your family, etc.

About how much for all (tickets, parking, concessions, etc)?
Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Went to the Braves-Rays game yesterday with my roommate.

Parking... $10 in a non stadium lot. $20 in a stadium lot. We opt to park a few blocks down the street and split the cost, so $5 each.
    I had 2 Beers (and if Jeffcbay is reading...they were both YUENGLING image )and some food at Ferg's sports bar across the street from the stadium... $19 with tip.
    We bought the cheapest tickets available....$22 each.

So my individual total was $46. That's pretty typical since I refuse to buy stadium food for the most part. And $9 for a 16 oz beer? No way.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go to O's games and pay $10 to park a few blocks from the stadium and pay $8 for the standing room only tickets. I usually eat before i go because stadium food is so much, so around $18-20 per game.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I usually spend too much. I like to sit field level and always splurge on the stadium food. image Wouldn't be surprised if I spend 125-150.00 per game on average at the Big A for my wife and I.

Justin
  • Options
    I purchased a mini season game plan to the Marlins so I go at least about every week to about a week and a half and see a game.

Parking is outside can be anywhere from about $10-30. Depends on where your at. I usually dont mind walking a few blocks. Its worth saving the money too.

Most of these guys are right. Its pretty expensive. Bud Light is $9 and a Heiniken is $9. Hot Dogs depending where you get them at in the ballpark. Can range from $6-$9. Burger I think is $9 or $10. One of those prices..

When I go, I usually grab at least a hot dog and 2 beers. Last game I just purchased a hot dog and a soda from a vender outside which is always cheaper but I do like eating inside.

Most parks will let you bring in food such as a sub even as long as it in a see through ziplock bag and even a bottle of water.

Best thing to do is tailgate and have some drinks before the game and maybe a bite to eat before if money is a big concern.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    recent game at Fenway:

four good seats for a hundred each
    parked at a train station ($5.50)
    round trip train tix for four was only twelve bucks since my seven year old daughter was free
    all the crap at the park (daughter's first time at Fenway, so she sampled EVERYTHING) was another eighty bucks
    spent maybe ten bucks on fuel for the round trip

so it was a little more than five hundred bucks...and they LOST image

I won't be going back any time soon. Win or lose, they have to show me that they are playing their hearts out...and only a few of them are showing that every game.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Baseball games aren't cheap outings. Here's a breakdown of my typical baseball night in San Francisco:

Tickets for decent seats...$90 each.
    Public transit to and from games...$8
    Incidentals including food and other stuff...$10-$30

Go across the Bay to Oakland and comparable seats in one of the most crappiest and deserted ballparks in baseball will only run about $25 each. Other costs are a bit lower than in SF but not by a significant amount.

Parking is never cheap. I haven't driven to a local ball game in at least 12 years if not longer. Public transit if available is almost always the best option. Driving and parking isn't really about the price, it's more about the time wasted and aggravation of waiting in congestion to enter the parking lot before the game and the ability to leave in a timely manner after the game.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two tickets, four beers and parking a little over 2 hundie

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    If it is me going alone, I keep to under $50, that's the ticket; good single seats can be had at pretty good prices, scorecard, any food and drink I get in advance and bring in $/or beer and buffalo dog at the game.

But if I'm bringing a guest, as my nephew or visitor, than I'm in Justacommenman territory, at least. Then you gotta get better tickets, because now its an experience and if it's a niece, nephew, son, daughter, GF, bf, etc, you want it to be a positive experience not a crappy seat with a crappy view where they lose interest and just want to go home; it's hard to cheap out on the food, and they'll want to experience the various ball park samplings, and perhaps want to get a souvenir to remember the experience. So it could be $100-150 per easily.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havnt been to Fenway since 1995, I refuse to spend the stupid amount of money. I remember when Bleacher seats were $10 and you could go to a game and not worry about going hungry for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Want to have your breath taken away? Price some decent seats against a decent team at Yankee stadium. image
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like I won't be taking the family anytime soon to a MLB game.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    You can go on the cheap. Many parks have $10 tickets, and you can figure out free parking, and be frugal on your other experiences. Are you interested in KC or another park? Whichever park it is, I'm sure there are people on these boards that know the ins and outs of your particular park.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Also, try stubhub.com. I purchased a $34 ticket for $20. The ticket was $10 and there was $10 in fees, but it was still a good deal.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Detroit Tigers prices...

Our seats (3) are $30.00 each Total - $90
    Parking 2-3 blocks from stadium is $20
    Gas in car to get to stadium and back home is $10
    3 Dogs, 2 Cokes, 2 soft Pretzels is #26
    Three 16-oz beers at $9.00/each (with tip) is $27

Total for 3 people for one game - $170.00 (or more depending on other stuff purchased)
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    Last Wednesday at Washington Nationals

$20 for good ticket via Stubhub (20 rows from field) down left base side
    Free Metro ride to and from game (I already had an all day pass)
    $5 Nationals Hat on the way in the stadium
    $4 Two dogs on the way into the stadium
    Free water bottle (brought my own bottle)
    Free small plastic souvenir hat (dug out of the trash)
    $7 ice cream
    $5 popcorn

Total = $41 and that was a splurge for me.
    >

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are usually 4 of us that go to Braves games, the wife, 2 boys and me or if the wife doesn't want to go it's my 11 year old niece and the 2 boys. We usually get the $12.00 seats either upper level behind the plate or same level about halfway between home and 1st. Parking is $10.00 and it's right across from the entrance! Turner field lets you bring your own food and drink,which is nice and saves us a lot. We are known to take a lot of healthy stuff(Doritos, Moon Pies, Chips, Pretzels, drinks, etc...) image If my niece goes, she will also want some boiled peanuts during the game and a foam finger or tomahawk! We probably spend about one of these total:

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Deleted.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the responses. Looks like I won't be taking the family anytime soon to a MLB game. >>

Go to a game in the middle of the week, and buy your tickets on Stub Hub. Eat before you go, and take the bus. You can get good seats for just a few dollars. I went to a Braves game last week-bought a Dugout level seat for $30. You can get in for a lot less, especially in KC. If you have to go on a weekend, go Sunday afternoon.

Quick check on Stub Hub-you can get pretty good seats for $10. and can actually get in for $3.00. Tough to beat that.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    The bright side of my 'Stros sucking donkey peepee? Attendance is nothing, so we'll buy $5 to $10 tickets and sit in the expensive seats. Parking ranges from $5 to $20, decent sized beers are about $7, and you can get assorted food for +/- $5.

So all in, usually costs me about $40 but I've got a full belly of beer/food and 3 or so hours of entertainment.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>The bright side of my 'Stros sucking donkey peepee? Attendance is nothing, so we'll buy $5 to $10 tickets and sit in the expensive seats. Parking ranges from $5 to $20, decent sized beers are about $7, and you can get assorted food for +/- $5.

So all in, usually costs me about $40 but I've got a full belly of beer/food and 3 or so hours of entertainment

>>

But....you just said you're an Astros fan??????

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    went to a few Rangers games a couple of seasons ago. Wicked cheap compared to Fenway. One game (cheap seats) was fifteen bucks for all three of us. Food and beverages were not out of control either. Nice park.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Don,

Thanks for mentioning Stub Hub. The only time I have looked there was when an event was sold out ... and obviously the prices were sky high. I never looked there for a regular season game.

ANYWAY, next month I'm heading back down to Baltimore for my oldest daughter's orientation at Loyola University, where she will begin college in August. When I went with her last month to look at the school we went to a game. (First time for me at Camden Yards ... I loved it.) So I decided to get tickets for next month as well.

I got tickets in Section 17 - Lower Reserve. The FOUR tickets, including Electronic Delivery Charge (what BS ... lol) and Service Fee came out to $54.45 (I had $54.64 in my PayPal a/c, so it worked out great.) Prior to buying I looked at the same tickets (3 rows difference) from Orioles.Com. THAT total was $145.00. WHAT A SAVINGS!

Thanks again Don!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The bright side of my 'Stros sucking donkey peepee? Attendance is nothing, so we'll buy $5 to $10 tickets and sit in the expensive seats. Parking ranges from $5 to $20, decent sized beers are about $7, and you can get assorted food for +/- $5.

So all in, usually costs me about $40 but I've got a full belly of beer/food and 3 or so hours of entertainment

>>

image >>

HA!

Well played, Sir.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

HA!

Well played, Sir. >>

Just jokes of course... I'm actually jealous you get to watch Chris Johnson play 3rd base over there. He went to college with my sister and I used to enjoy watching him play back in the day. I still will watch Astros games on mlb.tv every once in a while to check in on him.
  • Options

<< <i>Don,

Thanks for mentioning Stub Hub. The only time I have looked there was when an event was sold out ... and obviously the prices were sky high. I never looked there for a regular season game.

ANYWAY, next month I'm heading back down to Baltimore for my oldest daughter's orientation at Loyola University, where she will begin college in August. When I went with her last month to look at the school we went to a game. (First time for me at Camden Yards ... I loved it.) So I decided to get tickets for next month as well.

I got tickets in Section 17 - Lower Reserve. The FOUR tickets, including Electronic Delivery Charge (what BS ... lol) and Service Fee came out to $54.45 (I had $54.64 in my PayPal a/c, so it worked out great.) Prior to buying I looked at the same tickets (3 rows difference) from Orioles.Com. THAT total was $145.00. WHAT A SAVINGS!

Thanks again Don! >>

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you. I had never used them before either, but I will keep them in mind for future tickets.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

• Options

<< <i>

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you. I had never used them before either, but I will keep them in mind for future tickets. >>

Stubhub is great. I honestly use it for just about every game I go to except for games where it's a spur of the moment decision (like the rays-braves game was). If you haven't given them a try it's definitely worth it. Obviously it depends on the situation but you typically always get a bargain, especially for weeknight games as its mostly season ticket holders trying to recoup every little bit of cash they can.

If you plan accordingly it is very easy to go to games for cheap. Also be sure to look for ticket specials on team websites. Many have AAA/military/college, etc nights. In Atlanta you get 2 for 1 upper deck seats if you show a college, aaa, or military card. Every Friday night in Baltimore is college night so if you show a college ID you get $6 left field seats (something to think about Dboneesq or orioles93). And every Tuesday night in Baltimore is $9 upper deck seats.

If you are in KC, here is the Royals specials...some pretty good ones.
    Royals

Check out that family four pack, it might be A great deal depending on how big your family is. 4 tickets and $40 in merchandise/ concessions credit for $80....factor in parking and you can take the family out for less than $100.

• Options

<< <i>Just jokes of course... I'm actually jealous you get to watch Chris Johnson play 3rd base over there. He went to college with my sister and I used to enjoy watching him play back in the day. I still will watch Astros games on mlb.tv every once in a while to check in on him. >>

CJ seems to be a good all-around guy and I'm sure last year was just a sophomore slump.

Not going to lie, I've already watched and been to more games this year than the past two combined. With new Ownership, the guys seem to have turned the corner and playing with more intensity. It's almost like watching the 'Stros from the early 90's. Attendance at 25% capacity, kids learning the ropes on the fly, and as an added benefit, short beer/bathroom lines.

Good times.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    TOO MUCH!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Going to Rockies-Dodgers in Denver this Friday night
    I bought 5 tickets, lower outfield at $24 apiece
    @ Coors, we usually buy a meal, brats or whatever, usually runs about $75 with drinks
    For our family of 5, I will pay around $200