Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Did Topps Combine Series's In Packs??

The first baseball cards I ever collected as a kid were the 1969 Topps Baseball.

Back in 69 Topps was still issuing the cards in individual Series's 1-7.

Just wondering if Topps might have mixed some Series, in those days?
Say possibly the 6th and 7th Series combined in the same packs??

Does anyone here ever remember anything like that?

I know the last series 7th, was quite a bit smaller than the earlier ones.
Just wondering if it might have been mixed in with say the 6th, or even 5th, 6th & 7th?

Comments

• Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Come On Gang ............ Nothing???
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    '69 was before my time, I'm afraid. (Or maybe I should be happy to say this?) By the time I started collecting (1976) Topps was issuing baseball as a large, single set.

But I've never heard of Topps mixing series. It doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I believe the high numbers are traditionally scarcer because there was no series mixing. If the series was smaller, they simply double-printed certain cards.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I do not recall however it does not mean it could not have happened and only sold in a limited area.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    It was my understanding that the first year that Topps combined series was in 1973. Worth confirming though.
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about 1969 specifically as I collect primarily 1970s unopened but it was certainly not uncommon to find mixed series packs in the early 70s--series 5/6/7 packs in 1970, series 5/6 in 1972 and series 1/2 in 1973, for example, before Topps went to the all series format late in 1973.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was my understanding that the first year that Topps combined series was in 1973. Worth confirming though. >>

Agree

Logan
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Hello,

I remember opening hundreds of wax packs in the summer of 1969.

They were always sold by individual series, not mixed.

Not sure about cello packs though.

Capecards