Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle PSA 8 Mile High Auction

1952 Mantle

I just thought I would point out this auction in case anyone wanted to follow it. I checked out the Dessert Shield auction and decided to browse the other listings and came across this one.

The current SMR on this card is $77,500 and with the recent strength in the market I would suspect this one sells for more then that.

Great looking card and a shame it does not have a touch better centering.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree it's a great looking card, but the t/b centering and s/s centering could be better. There is a slight tilt and slight touch on the top left corner. Also, is that black dot on the bottom border on the card? I think the submitter of this card hit a HR by getting it in an "8" slab.

I just googled the card and found this one. I don't have a pic of the back (and maybe there are flaws there) but I think the card is a lot nicer. Your opinion?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the one you posted looks like a nicer card and would most likely bring a premium to the one in the current auction.

That being said there are not that many high grade Mantle's and this is the type of card where I can see a lot of buyers buying the slab.

The centering on the card being auctioned off falls within the guidelines of a PSA 8 and the corners look nice and the overall eye appeal is nice.

Both are great cards for sure and I think anyone would thrilled to add either to their personal collection.
  • Options
    looks like a soft 8
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Not a high-end example of an 8, but certainly worthy of the grade IMO.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Just one guy's opinion, but I'd rather pay a premium for the best-centered and most appealing PSA 8 out there, than pay VCP avg for that current Mile High PSA 8. Is the mile high example a nice card? Sure. Does it fit the description of the grade? Sure. But shelling out big bucks for that one when there are ones like the one pictured above, that's tough to do, for me at least.

Edit: I'd actually rather have the PSA 7 that Probstein had up for sale a ways back than the Mile High 8. Forget the grade PSA's graders slapped on the flip, the 7 hits the eye better than the 8 all day long.
  • Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 12:21PM

I can tell you this much, if I had that kind of extra money to spend on a ‘52 Mantle I would wait until a better centered one came around and be happy with a lower grade example with near perfect centering while I waited. Honestly that goes with any card, in my opinion off centered or tilted cards are far worse than a soft corner. Just my 2 cents

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

My disclaimer though is I wish I bought that one for 75K back in ‘12, I feel I would have made a profit.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 3:03PM

Wow. Looking at these Mantle prices makes me happy to be a football card collector - even if it seems like every Dallas Cowboys card I bid on goes for top dollar... It's not even in the same ballpark as some of these high-end baseball cards.

• Options

@prgsdw

When someone asks me what my most expensive cards are worth and I tell them selling prices, the reaction is usually one of wow. I then tell them the prices are just child's play in the card world and point to cards like this.

If this finishes at 300k I don't think investors will be pleased.

It will be interesting to see where this lands.