Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to buy coins at Bluebook prices?

stevepkstevepk Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
How much time and effort should I expect to put forth in obtaining quality coins at Bluebook prices? What strategies do collectors use to obtain quality coins at Bluebook prices? I recently brought in a selection of qualtiy PCGS/NGC coins to a buyer who quickly offered me Bluebook prices. I would love to be able to buy coins at these prices. Can it be done? A few Bluebook values that stand out to me as real bargains are:

1800 Normal date large cent, F-12, $100
1823 large cent, VG normal date, $55
1857 large cent, MS60, $175
1806 quarter, F12, $210
1807 bust half dollar, F12, $100
seated liberty dollars, XF, $250

...and the list goes on

About me:

-collector, not a dealer
-willing to put forth extra effort to obtain great coins at great prices
-full time job outside of numismatics
-refuses problem-coins, eye for quality
-preference for high-end coins in PCGS or NGC holders

As of now, I see the Blue Book as a daydreamer's fantasy price guide without the slightest perception of how the real world works. I can only assume I am wrong. Otherwise, the book would not exist, right? Enlighten me!

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭
    1942 dime at Bluebook, yes. The ones you mentioned, no chanceimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, it's not realistically possible to buy at those prices without being a dealer. Even being a dealer, buying quality pieces would be tough at bluebook prices.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you truly had quality coins , then i would have walked out being offered blue book prices on those.

jim
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I almost feel books like that help the dealers more then collectors.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    bluebooks are great for common date stuff like 1973 washington quarters in XF but if you are hoping to buy anything even remotely valuable, your extra time/effort would be better spent sitting on santas lap at a department store.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall getting common coins at bluebook prices at coin shows on the bourse floor or at associated auctions 25 years ago, but rarer coins were very difficult if not impossible at bluebook prices.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    My feeling is that the price guides in the Blue and Red Books may have outlived their usefulness - collectors and dealers have a lot of access to current prices: auctions, eBay and the Coin Dealer Newsletter (Grey Sheet) all play a role in providing current prices. An annual price guide is, by definition, out of date as soon as it's published.

Essentially, Whitman still publishes the Blue and Red Books because people buy them; they'll continue publishing them until people stop buying them

If you really want to buy coins at wholesale prices, your best bet is to get a Tax Resale Number and take a table at a coin show - you'll get a lot of coins offered to you (although perhaps not the coins you've identified).

Alternately, there are dealers who attend larger coin shows who work on narrower margins than other dealers, as well as true wholesale dealers (who only sell to those with resale numbers).

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    who wants to sell coins at some of those prices...do you if you have them?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>My feeling is that the price guides in the Blue and Red Books may have outlived their usefulness - collectors and dealers have a lot of access to current prices: auctions, eBay and the Coin Dealer Newsletter (Grey Sheet) all play a role in providing current prices. An annual price guide is, by definition, out of date as soon as it's published.

Essentially, Whitman still publishes the Blue and Red Books because people buy them; they'll continue publishing them until people stop buying them

If you really want to buy coins at wholesale prices, your best bet is to get a Tax Resale Number and take a table at a coin show - you'll get a lot of coins offered to you (although perhaps not the coins you've identified).

Alternately, there are dealers who attend larger coin shows who work on narrower margins than other dealers, as well as true wholesale dealers (who only sell to those with resale numbers). >>

Great answer for a sensable question.image
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    I agree with the above comments, but I've seen dealers buy with blue book prices at B&M's, but most of the time its a grey sheet. The truth is most people that don't no coins will accept the dealers word that thats what a coin is worth as long as he shows them a current price guide doesn't really matter what one it is because it published and current. I also seen others though that won't listen to nothing and believe their common wheat pennies are worth a fortune even though there worn or cleaned, etc.. As with everything in life sometimes its easy, sometimes its hard, just depends on the person and the situation. Like others have said if you want a shot a better prices get a table and a resellers license, the coins will come to you.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know the market and know your coins, then you don't have to rely on a 'Blue book' when buying or selling.
    As others have said, this is especially important with better date, better grade coins, which are generally held by
    knowledgeable collectors and dealers.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Coin transactions are between a buyer and a seller. EVERY coin has a value. If you want to BUY premium coins at low prices but would not be willing to SELL the same premium coin at the same low price, then you are just kidding yourself. Every coin really has TWO prices, a wholesale price and a retail price. Coin dealers would like to sell you coins at retail price and buy coins from you at wholesale price. THAT is how they are in business. They do have to make a profit. You say you are a collector and not a dealer. Your objective is to try to buy your coin at something LESS than full retail price but expect to pay MORE than wholesale price. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue book doesn't even make a good fire starter let alone have any useful information in it. I bought one of them about five years ago took one look at the series I was working on at the time and threw it in the trash.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The only way to buy coins for Bluebook prices is to buy them from someone who has no idea what they have or what it's really worth.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most dealers will offer bluesheet for your nice coins and sell their nice coins at retail++. It is the way of the world.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where can I buy gasoline in 12-15 gallon increments at the same price that gas stations buy 8,000 gallon deliveries at?????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where can I buy gasoline in 12-15 gallon increments at the same price that gas stations buy 8,000 gallon deliveries at?????

image >>

Could I buy you a drink, kind sir ?
  • Options

<< <i>Coin transactions are between a buyer and a seller. EVERY coin has a value. If you want to BUY premium coins at low prices but would not be willing to SELL the same premium coin at the same low price, then you are just kidding yourself. Every coin really has TWO prices, a wholesale price and a retail price. Coin dealers would like to sell you coins at retail price and buy coins from you at wholesale price. THAT is how they are in business. They do have to make a profit. You say you are a collector and not a dealer. Your objective is to try to buy your coin at something LESS than full retail price but expect to pay MORE than wholesale price. Good luck. Steveimage >>

Well said!
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>How much time and effort should I expect to put forth in obtaining quality coins at Bluebook prices? >>

Figure the hours required for a full time job and increase from there as needed. Add in thousands of dollars a year for advertising so that people will think to offer you coins and more thousands for a storefront where your customers can bring their coins to sell to you. There will be other expenses (both time and money), but that might get you started.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only way to buy coins for Bluebook prices is to buy them from someone who has no idea what they have or what it's really worth. >>

Agree. Open a coin shop and wait for the widow to bring in her deceased husband's coin collection.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a shop or set up at shows or appraise estates you do not need a Bluebook. First of all, its very difficult to buy at these prices, especially from a knowledgeable seller. I use BlueBook when appraising estates (raw coins) which I will make an offer. In making the tally sheets I list the date, denom, grade (use MS60 for uncs),Bluebook value and zero valuation for problem coins (cleaned, damaged, etc). A Bluebook can be a useful tool for a show dealer and I have used it on occasion.

When people offer me coins at my table at shows I use CDN or BV as a basis in determining my offer. My offer may be a percentage behind CDN or BV depending on market conditions, inventory needs. B&M shops (like one owned by some freinds) usually use blue sheet (its almost impossible to buy at these prices) on certified coins and offer 80% of CDN bid on other material like USM products if even that much.

Since I do both coins and currency (US and World) I have not bought a bluebook in somewhile as what I offer is going to be a percentage of market retail (CW TRends, Krause CV, melt, etc) or what I think I can sell the coin for, flip it quickly. So a Bluebook and for that matter Bluesheet or both useless and unnecessary. The CDN CMI can be a good guide as to an offer on slabbed coins. Whats important to me is what can I flip a coin for to realize an instant profit so what they are bringing at Teletrade or Ebay is an important factor.

I would suggest you use a price guide like CW Values or PCGS Price Guide to track Market Value of your holdings. I have people try to BS me at shows that CW Trends or PCGS is unrealistic, too high etc. This is nonsense.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭

<< <i>Coin transactions are between a buyer and a seller. EVERY coin has a value. If you want to BUY premium coins at low prices but would not be willing to SELL the same premium coin at the same low price, then you are just kidding yourself. Every coin really has TWO prices, a wholesale price and a retail price. Coin dealers would like to sell you coins at retail price and buy coins from you at wholesale price. THAT is how they are in business. They do have to make a profit. You say you are a collector and not a dealer. Your objective is to try to buy your coin at something LESS than full retail price but expect to pay MORE than wholesale price. Good luck. Steveimage >>

This.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where can I buy gasoline in 12-15 gallon increments at the same price that gas stations buy 8,000 gallon deliveries at?????

image >>

Could I buy you a drink, kind sir ? >>

I'll take an Arnold Palmer, please!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bluebook was intended to be a guide to dealer buying prices, and just like any guide, you'll find things that are too low, about right, and too high. Most numismatic items are underpriced but given current metals prices, perhaps some of the low end stuff listed in there may be realistic or even a bit high now. Admittedly I haven't researched it though. I don't use Bluebook when buying.

Same deal with Redbook on the retail end. There are things where RB is too high, about right, and too low. I think every collector should own one for the info in it- as long as they realize that these books are printed so far in advance that it is impossible for the values to be totally accurate.

Don't get hung up on either one, though; remember they're just guides. People who live and die by what a book says will never be happy imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file