Home Sports Talk
Options

Good Bye Kerry Wood. Thank you for being a true Fan's Player

AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
Fairly Well Kerry, and thank you for some of the greatest moments in modern Cubs history:

Your 20K game vs Houston has been called the greatest game pitched in the baseball history by Peter Gammons. It was not just a tie for most strikeouts in a game, and with zero walks, but was highest ratio of strikes to balls pitched ever. And one squibbed hit kept it from perfection.

Game 5 victory over Atlanta in the 2003 playoffs gave Cubs fans belief of a World's Series appearance, if not a Championship. You and Prior looked like the resurrection of the Johnson/Schilling duo for Arizona.

Game 7 vs Florida. When you hit that 3 run HR I never saw Wrigley explode like that, and never heard it louder. The sound had feel to it, and I was watching 1000 miles away on TV. If you were on any other team without a never ending curse you would ('Wood', get it?) have certainly won it, and with a complete game.

2008 season, between you closing and newcomer Marmol, the last six outs of a Cubs games was lights out.

Thanks Kerry for caring like no other player you see today. You more than once signed for less money to pitch for the Cubs and we thank you and appreciate you for that. You were the epitome of being a fan's player. We look forward to your next venture in the Cubs organization.

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Fairly Well Kerry, and thank you for some of the greatest moments in modern Cubs history:

Your 20K game vs Houston has been called the greatest game pitched in the baseball history by Peter Gammons. It was not just a tie for most strikeouts in a game, and with zero walks, but was highest ratio of strikes to balls pitched ever. And one squibbed hit kept it from perfection.

Game 5 victory over Atlanta in the 2003 playoffs gave Cubs fans belief of a World's Series appearance, if not a Championship. You and Prior looked like the resurrection of the Johnson/Schilling duo for Arizona.

Game 7 vs Florida. When you hit that 3 run HR I never saw Wrigley explode like that, and never heard it louder. The sound had feel to it, and I was watching 1000 miles away on TV. If you were on any other team without a never ending curse you would ('Wood', get it?) have certainly won it, and with a complete game.

2008 season, between you closing and newcomer Marmol, the last six outs of a Cubs games was lights out.

Thanks Kerry for caring like no other player you see today. You more than once signed for less money to pitch for the Cubs and we thank you and appreciate you for that. You were the epitome of being a fan's player. We look forward to your next venture in the Cubs organization.

image >>

A fantastic player, and a heckuva guy. Saw him pitch a time or two when he was in HS, and to this day I think his coach doomed him to his injury fate. From a a bio of him:

Two days before the draft, Kerry threw 175 pitches in a doubleheader with Grand Prairie’s playoff hopes on the line. The Chicago brass was in an uproar.

Kerry, Garry and coach McGilvray all defended the workload, explaining that this wasn’t the first time the youngster had logged that many innings in a single day.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Wood's final apperance.

He rung up his final batter on 3 pitches.

It must be nice to retire a month before your 35th birthday and be set for life.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Man do I feel old. I remember watching Kerry Wood pitch for the Daytona Cubs in the 1990's. He was just a kid. And now retired? Wow. Glad I got an autograph when I had the chance to get it in person.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.