Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New 1932 10 Zloty (big pics)

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
New to me, rather image

Struck in London, mintage of 6M but those familiar will confirm they're really tough to find in mint state. NGC has graded only 134 pieces in all grades, fewer than half of that uncirculated. Only one 64 and none higher.

Radiant head of Queen Jadwiga (1373/4 – 17 July 1399) [though I understand there is some disagreement as to whether or not it's actually supposed to be Jadwiga]

I think this is one of the most beautiful designs of the 20th century, and would certainly be in my top 5 list.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    Nice coin - The bag marks kept it down exp. obverse chin hit
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I really like it. >>

Could not have said it better!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    NGC was too conservative with that coin... very nice! image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    very pretty design and a very nice example indeed. what's nice is that these actually circulated and were seen by a wider range of people than more "modern" issues. congrats and thanks for sharing...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. When I was a kid 15-16 years ago, this was one of my first coins traded to a friend for some copper Catherine 5 Kops.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I love that design too.image
    Becky
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, have never seen that one.

The grade I was going to guess was way off. I agree NGC seems to have been pretty hard on it.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I like that obverse design a lot.
  • Options
    Careful, guys. That obverse will haunt you. You'll realize you've been daydreaming about her and you'll start casually looking for a nice circulated example. Asking your local dealer if he knows anyone who knows anyone who might have one. You know, just because. Nothing serious.

But then you'll start looking for a BU example. And that's when the trouble will start. Your other coins will begin getting jealous...
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Weiss, I thought you might like to see an earlier pattern version of this coin, struck in copper: Link. The 1925 twenty zloty pattern was never struck for circulation; however, as you know, they used a modified version of the woman's head design from 1932-1934 on circulating coinage. I think the woman's design looks "cleaner" and nicer on the 1932-34 coins, but I'm more partial to the eagle side on the pattern.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Definitely pretty but just not the same when it's uncluttered. image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I'd remember seeing this coin (or pattern) few months ago. Will likely purchase one in the near future, if I can find a nice (not crazy expensive) example. Thought I'd post it here and see if it comes to the top of the pile and ask if anyone has any guidence, or good books for world or ancient coins for me to get a good foundation for world pieces. Thanks.