Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New crusty overdate

While doing some searches, I ran across Craig Keplinger's website with a couple of slabbed 8 Reales - an 1811 Mo-HJ in PCGS AU50 and an 1812 Mo-JJ in NGC AU58. Both were reasonably priced but lacked pictures, so I emailed Craig. Within a few hours he e-mailed me the pictures of both coins in their slabs and to my surprise the 1811 was the 1811/0 variety, and a crusty one, too! I called him right after and after a chat, he gave a break on the price for buying both. Very friendly guy. Looking forward to meeting him in Chicago one of these days.

The 1811/0 is Calbeto-864 and cataloged as rare. PCGS certified only one of these and two at NGC. This overdate comes-up from time to time in the auctions, but this is the first original looking AU example I've seen in a number of years.

Hope you like 'em crusty:

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Roman! Love the look of it. Looking forward to seeing your 1812.

Edited because I need my reading glasses. Now where did I put them...
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice one, Roman! Love the look of it. Are you going to send it in to PCGS for a crossover?
    If PCGS will attribute the 1811/0, I would certainly consider it. Now let's see the 1812. image >>

Bill, this one is already in PCGS plastic and properly attributed. The 1812 has been sent to PCGS as a part of my cross-over special submission. Didn't get a chance to photograph it yet.

BTW - enjoying the Falcon Cam! image Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Glad you like the Peregrine Falcon Cam. We have a Fish Cam and an Osprey Cam too.
    Plus some really cool stuff coming up using re-purposed Predator drones for the Dept. of the Interior.
    Peregrine Falcon Cam
    Osprey Cam
    Fish Cam Need a better underwater camera.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Roman. Ain't huntin fun?
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice Roman, I think this takes the cake on crusty.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, that fish cam is making me want to go fishing image

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It was a pleasant surprise when I realized it was an overdate.