Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Fine line when buying low pop commons?

How do you know when to spend the big bucks on low population commons? Seems like there's a fine line between overspending if new cards come on the market in high grade. Or passing on a card to have it locked up in a collection never to come up for sale again. Where's the line?

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Your checkbook, the population, the number of serious bidders and how often they come on the market. The newer the card however, the more restraint one should exercise.
  • Options
    I think total number graded should be the main criteria. Compare the card to other cards in its series or set. If it is from say the 3rd series of a set and the average number of cards graded from that series is say 12 and the card in question has only 4 graded then I would pass on paying the premium because more than likely more will be graded. If the average or more have been graded and there are still very few high grade commons available then the premium is probably worth it. Consider the number of serious sets listed in the registry in that year as the number of people needing the card and decide how many high grade copies need to exist before the premium will no longer apply.
    Jason Jacobs: Looking for NM/MT graded cards of Pirates and Cardinals from prewar to 1975.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I agree with David,

You need to think of what the odds are that its coming up again in the near future. Do you have the cash to win it now? Are there better values available. If its a 50's or early 60's card, your decision is tougher than if its a late 60's on up. For 72's, I know that there are plenty out there. So, I don't go bananas.

Just my two cents...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    For instance, there is a PSA 8 1975T #617 Rookie Infielders (DeCinces, Trillo) on ebay right now. It's currently bid up to $152.50. My most recent pop report (from 3/8) shows 5 of these cards graded, with 2 8s. I'm not so familiar with the intricacies of that set that I understand that bidding, but it seems that there are at least a couple people on there who no longer have their feet on the ground.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The money being realized in these auctions will bring the raw cards out. Even in the 1951 Bowman set, I was stunned that card #289 (Cliff Mapes) had a population of 2 in PSA 8 only two years ago. I bought the third one ever graded PSA 8 and now there are 6 of them! Mind you, that is for a 51 year old card. I imagine that the population of cards from the 70's will soar in top condition as the prices do. Then the prices will drop to a more reasonable level. It's Econ. 101 baby -- supply and demand.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Don't forget, that 75 topps is Reggie Sanders' rookie too! image I wonder when old Reggie decided to cut off those mutton chops.....
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I can guarantee you that the reason that 1975 card went for that price was its Trillo's rookie card. He's a CUB.........the winner bidder "rseegs@aol.com" is quite the Cub fan. Has bought a few high grade cub cards in the past fom me and he'll pay a preimum, if he decides he wants that card
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Trillo's rookie is '74 as an Athletic.