Home Sports Talk
Options

Essendon crushes undefeated West Coast Eagles by 61 points

What a defeat to the undefeated Eagles! 113-52 West Coast is still in first place on points, but after the dismantling that took place this weekend, Essendon might have to be considered an early favorite for the Finals. Their only loss this year is by 5 points to Collingwood, which is certainly respectable.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Here's the yearly AFL talk! Powdered was this match on tv in the states? I watched GWS vs Gold Coast the other night live on fox soccer but didn't see any others this weekend.

We have some family friends in Perth who I am sure aren't too happy with this result!
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I watched it on the internet. I really expected a tight contest. It was close in the early going because Essendon wasn't accurate in their kicking. After that, the butt-kicking was on! It looked a lot like last year's Grand Final. Maybe worse.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    For those of you who have NO IDEA what sport this is (I had none until I looked it up), it's RUGBY.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    thanks, D....I had NO idea! I thought AFL was Arena Football League at first.
  • Options
    Eh, not quite rugby but pretty close I suppose. It's actually called Australian Rules Football.

Basic differences:

Rugby is played on a rectangular field. Aussie Rules is played on an oval.
    In rugby you have to pass the ball backwards. In Aussie Rules you can kick it or under hand hit it in any direction possible.
    In rugby the main way of scoring is by running into an endzone and scoring a "Try". In Aussie Rules you kick through posts and either score a "Goal" or a "Behind". A Goal is through two center posts, and a Behind is when you shank it and it goes through the neighboring posts.

Check out the video in the link....that explains the basics pretty well. It's a really fun game to watch but states side it's only consistently on Fox Soccer Channel. ESPN typically carries the Finals and some other random regular season match ups here and there.

LINK
  • Options
    Back in the early 80's, ESPN didn't have the rights to any of the big four sports. So, they would show anything they could. So, they showed VFL football (Victorian Football League). I was hooked right away! The VFL became the AFL in 1990 when the league had teams move outside the confines of Victoria. But what's not to like? Fast action? Check. Rabid fans? Check. Great scoring? Check. Hard hits? Check. It has it ALL!
  • Options
    Forgot to add earlier that I met a kid at school earlier this year who's from Geelong of all places. It was awesome to actually watch a match with someone who reaaallllllly understands the game and grew up playing it.
  • Options
    That's awesome! I used to know a girl from Australia that was a huge Essendon fan, but she's back in Australia now and I never got to actually watch a game with her. I wish I had the cash to fly there and catch a game (or ten) live.