Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Salutations and Greetings, O Fine Forum Friends (personal & LM2E update)

Yeah, I know. It's been a while. Sorry 'bout that. image

I yet live and breathe, though I've been in "hermit" or "yeti" mode for far too long, and I must beg forgiveness for the non-response to PMs and emails for some time. (I'll try to catch up on the former shortly, and the latter gawdknowswhen.)

The second letter below should explain.

So, brace yourselves- I'm gonna air some laundry here. But I think it should be self-evident why I'm doing so.

And half of that laundry belongs to another elusive, reclusive member (Laurentyvan) but I'm airing it here to demonstrate that his laundry has, in fact, been washed clean, and is snowy-white again (at least on this matter), so no shame there.

As to my own personal laundry ... well ... heck, my britches have blown in the breeze around here for all to see, for quite some time now.

Here goes. Two letters. (Yeah, I hadn't opened my snailmail for almost two months, either, so thanks to those who sent me stuff. I'm hoping and thinking I caught up on all my obligations before I made my last departure, but I guess we'll see about that when I catch up on PMs.)

Rita J. Gurewitch (Mrs. Laurentyvan) to me, 3/23/12:

(Regarding the "LordM To England" trip, a topic that is rather taboo with certain forum brass, which is why this is not going on the US Coin Forum.)

My reply to Rita & Laurent, 5/12/12:

So. There 'tis.

As you were, then. How's everyone been? Got any cool newps?

I did miss y'all (sort of image ), but had to wait until the timing was propitious before I made my return, I suppose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been workin' graveyard shift the last week and a half straight, and I've now been up for maybe 24 hours, so I'm gonna go crash soon.

I'll handle my PM and email backlog later.

(Will do my utmost to get that done before another month or two go by, haha.) image

Oh, yeah- and obviously, my thanks go out to all who had a piece of the action above. Let's see where this goes, now that we've passed a major hurdle.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking check. image

Shroom was convinced that you were banned but I had my doubts. In retrospect, I should have placed a bet with him. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POTD.

Two touching letters.
    Glad to see you around the campus Rob.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, glad to see you're back - now get off your butt and start planning the trip!

By the way, I really enjoyed your digs video. Looking forward to more of those.

Cheers,

Roman.
  • All this still does not explain your snoring problem!! imageimage
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

<< <i>Shroom was convinced that you were banned but I had my doubts. In retrospect, I should have placed a bet with him. >>

Ha. You should have squeezed the old Shroomie for all he's worth. (Though if much more talk of the LM2E dig trip happens on the Liteside in view of Big Brother, I may yet find myself on the chopping block.)

<< <i>By the way, I really enjoyed your digs video. Looking forward to more of those. >>

That last one was a practice run. I definitely wanna shoot video from the field when I'm over you-know-where. Maybe I need to invest in one of those little cameras one can clip to the visor of a cap.

<< <i>All this still does not explain your snoring problem!! >>

No, but sleep apnea does. I was diagnosed with that last year, so now I sleep with a CPAP machine. Not to mention I've now joined the legion of crusty old denture wearers. So I sleep with this fighter pilot mask thingie now (Red Leader to wingman ... bogeys on your six! Dive! Dive!)

And I no longer snore. Unless I forget to hook up my Vader mask before going to bed. It makes me look like a fighter pilot.

(Ha. Yeah, I wish. Rather, it makes me sound like ol' Darkside Darth himself.)

Speaking of video, and lest ye think I've been sleeping with Spinaker2000, which I most assuredly have NOT been, he is referring to an incident that took place at the Darkside HQ condo one evening after a particular FUN show (2006, was it?), when yours truly zonked out on the couch and amused everyone with thunderous snoring, which was subsequently immortalized on somebody's cell phone camera, as I recall. It's so nice to provide entertainment for all my friends, and to know they're prepared to safeguard my dignity at a moment's notice.

So ... soon I'll have to get off my hindquarters and DO something, now that I've got the money. In the meantime, it is gonna go into a special account. Further updates on trip planning will follow (knowing me, they'll be sporadic and spread out).

Geez. Now I gotta get busy, huh.

imageimage

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Lord that's a lot of ravioli!

Good for you.
    Hey, WP, what are you doin' on the Darkside? Did you finally give up those silly cardboard rectangles and start collecting respectable, round, metallic objects? If so, then good on you, mate.

I prolly need to lay off the ravioli and acquaint myself with the dusty, unused exercise bike, which only our young lass Victoria uses (and she's the only slender member of the family who doesn't need it.)

Hopefully not so much a lot of ravioli as a lot of freshly-dug hammered silver! Perhaps a Viking penny ... a Celtic gold stater ... a Tudor groat ...

... or, more likely, some rusty British beer bottle tops.

But a certain ethereal dream is now starting to look just a wee bit more tangible now, eh?

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Another announcement:

Now's the time for anyone who donated who wants out and would like his or her money back (since this thing has dragged on so long without results so far), to speak up. It looks like maybe Mrs. Gurewitch paid me back all the pledges, not just the money that had actually been contributed. Some of those pledges were from my own family and had not as yet been collected, so if and when I can determine what was pledged but never collected, I guess I'll need to be sending her some of the money back, since she has definitely overpaid. In light of whatever it is Laurent (and therefore she) is suffering, the last thing I wanna do is be an unnecessary burden on them.

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see a friendly and honorable resolution to an previously unsettled issue -- in the best Darkside tradition.

Rob, thank you for being willing to share, in such a moving fashion, some of the things you've been going through. As a fellow sleep apnea victim and C-PAP user ("wingman copies, got you covered") I sympathize; but I also know what a great difference C-PAP hass made in the quality of my life with regular use so stay the course! As the son and brother of sufferers of bipolar II disorder, I know the battle you face with some level of familiarity, and I hope you find your own way in managing and conquering this nasty condition. As a mental health professional who just participated in a mental health awareness charity walk today ("Stop the Stigma!") I know the best way to gain social acceptance for mental health issues is by shedding light on how it affects our friends, family and loved ones, so I really appreciate your post. I'm glad you're back posting and perhaps Laurent will feel like he can do so again some day. As the song says, we all need someone to lean on.

Anyway, hope you get to do some metal detecting in England very soon. I don't need to see my meager share in thedr funds ever, so if it doesn't get used you can always donate my share to a worthy cause. One suggestion would be the National Alliance on Mental Illness (who ran today's charity walk.)

- Bill
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see ya back

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back, Rob
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    You are a class act Rob. Welcome back!
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Lord M-I have been a fan of yours since joining the forumn and reading your first post. I am glad that everything has been straightened out between you and Laurent. He has always been a class act since the first time I met him. I also was one of the ones that actually purchased a share and hope that someday you will be able to go to England. I just got back from a 6200 mile trip to New Mexico on a rock hounding trip. Rocks are another of my many hobbies. If you do decide not to go, I like the idea of the monies actually collected(not promised) to go to some charity. There are loads of them out there that could use the money. I am sure all of us have a favorite. I lost my 2 1/2 year grand daughter to Pulmonary Hyper Tension so I am partial to it.
    However I am sure that you will be going to the Brits, just hope it is while I am around yet to enjoy your written words on the trip. Welcome back-looking forward to reading more words of wisdom from you.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    welcome back!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you don't need my support. If you need anything from me it's to take you down a peg or two to lessen the distance you fall.

Just remember you'll always have my support anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
  • JustlookingJustlooking Posts: 2,895
    Good grief! I thought you'd fallen into one of your own holeys! Welcome back!
    Let's try not to get upset.