Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tiger Woods and other SI for Kids cards

I just found out how much the 1996 Tiger Woods SI for Kids sold for while looking around at other cards online. It turns out that I have one in an uncut sheet. My dad used to pull the cards from his office and give em to me each month for about a 5-7 year span.

Just now finding out about this, I'm doing a little research on the rest of that series. Is there any other cards that are noteworthy from SI for Kids? I don't have the 99 Tiger Woods, but a bunch of other cards that might stand out (Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr, etc).

The other question/advice I'm looking for is, do I leave it as a sheet, or take the card out (I got a bunch of sheets to practice to make sure I don't rip it).

I know it's not worth the amount it went for 10 years ago, but I'd think it's still a pretty valuable card.

I plan on sending it to PSA pretty soon, hopefully I can scan it when it returns. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I've wondered in the past about the best way to seperate one of these cards for submission--somebody suggested folding the perforation before tearing, although I am not clear on whether or not (or how) PSA grades the edges of perforated cards?

I like how the series has issued cards for athletes not usually found on cards--Natalie Darwitz of the U.S. women's ice hockey team, for example.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Turn your PM on. Or better yet, turn it on and send me a PM. There are a few low-priced SI cards that I would be interested in purchasing from you. Not the stars, but a few others.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Be very careful if you decide to perorate the card! I suggest practicing on a lot of the other shhets first to get the hang of it. If the cards get bent, folded, creased , or otherwise banged up, they are worth almost nothing. In mint condition, they can be worth quite a lot to player collectors. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or email me at gregmo32@aol.com

I have done this myself on many occasions, and the first few attempts were much worse than the last.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Yah, I've been practicing on some other sheets that i have. i'm getting the hang of it, and have been using a straight edge to help start the fold.

I've been starting it at the top or side of the page and then once it's started it folds pretty easy without risking damage to the center card (where Tiger is located.)

Without tearing it, it appears that at least 3 of the sides won't be affected by the yellow border, and there's a good chance the 4th side won't either, but it's pretty close. I called PSA on Friday and got some advice from them on it too. Sometime this week I'll build up the courage to dissassemble it myself.

Some guy was quoted as saying "it's like disarming a bomb" in an ESPN article. That oughta take the pressure off, ha.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    So then the goal is bend the page only along the perforation while keeping the card itself as flat as possible?
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    If your careful, I found you can start the bend at each column/row, and once the bend is started, you can keep all cards from creasing.

I've done about 8-10 practice runs, and I think I can do it pretty sufficiently. The downfall is, I checked the sheet out again and at least one edge will have some of the gold trim from the card above it with a second side possibly having gold trim as well. So I don't know how that will affect the grading. Bummer.